Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have not had surgery yet...but i am a picky eater, i am worried because I don't like boiled eggs, cottage cheese or sea food etc (everything i will need to eat after surgery) anyone else like this? I'm hoping my taste buds will change after surgery or hoping I will mentally get over it?

I am facing same thing!!! Cant stand cottage cheese....raw seafood....gag....alot mention ricotti dish...gross...I am not good influence but we can share ideas once I find any!!!

I am a picky eater about alot of thing. Still am 9months post op. I found a Protein Drink that I like. Not a fan of boiled eggs but I like a scrambled egg with a little bit of low fat cheese. I used to like cottage cheese but now it taste salty. But I like to snack on low fat string cheese. There are alot of options to choose from that are still low fat and high Protein

I am also picky...I havent had surgery yet but while I hate cottage cheese and well anykind of cheese cause Im lactose intolerant...I can eat eggs with "no salt" on them and i can eat tuna and salmon out of a can if I have too...The key for me is to chew and not think about having it touch my tongue then swallowing it...this liquid diet sucks but I just mentally visualize what I want to look like a year from now and it makes it a bit more bearable!

I had surgery on 9/18/2012 and am also a very picky eater. There are definitely more items I choose not to eat for whatever reason. My taste buds have changed somuch that overall I basically live on a high Protein, low carb diet with vegetables as often and I can eat them. My meals consist of Protein and fruit for Breakfast (egg beaters southwest style) 1/4 cup of cinnamon flavored applesauce, for lunch I have 2 ozs of protein and 1/4 cup of a vegetable then dinner consists of 2 ozs. of protein with 1/4 cup. At 10:30 am every morning I drink 1/2 of a 20 oz. Isopure drink and save the remaining 10 ozs for my afternoon break at 3:30 pm. At least two or three hours after dinner if I want something I usually end up eating a sugar free banana popscicle from Kroger (they're GREAT). I recommend them to everyone if you like the banana flavor. I try my best to not be rushed while eating and never eat on anything larger than a saucer. My heaviest weight was 293 but lost down to 278 before surgery and am now down to 219.4 at my weigh in yesterday. At this stage I try to weigh weekly not to become a slave of the scale. I hope to join a local gym later this month when life allows for it. Good luck to everyone with regard to eating. If being a picky eater isn't bad enough, I found that after my procedure everything tends to have a blah taste; nothing really appetizing.

Everyone hang in there and do you best to try those things you didn't care for in the past. Your taste for foods WILL change so be ready. When I went through the two week FASTING shakes prior to surgery I didn't have any problem feeling full. After surgery when I could drink the FASTING shakes I could not bear to swallow the drink. To date the shake is the ONLY thing that has made my gag reflux kick in. Therefore I am staying away from the FASTING shakes.

Good luck to all of you picky eaters! :)

sleever 963- i am having gag refluz at anything in mornings therefore not able to eat. I know this is bad so what should I do? I also am not drinking any form of a Protein shake.....its just not working for me. Maybe I need to make my own??

sleever 963- i am having gag refluz at anything in mornings therefore not able to eat. I know this is bad so what should I do? I also am not drinking any form of a Protein shake.....its just not working for me. Maybe I need to make my own??

I bought two brands of vanilla Protein powder to use post surgery. I don't like either. I make my own shakes using Greek yogurt as a base (since it is blessed with a lot of protein). I cup nonfat Greek yogurt, 1 cup skim milk and 2 tsp. chocolate or banana SF pudding mix. If you need it to be sweeter, add some Torani Syrup (sugar free) usually used in coffee, but can be used in other things. You can't add too much pudding mix or the shake becomes really thick. As for quantity, I would drink half at a time. Also, I bought Mio peach mango stuff and I don't like it in Water, but I like it in Greek yogurt. Makes it taste more like peach yogurt without the chunks. My NUT said some people use SF Jello to flavor things. Haven't tried that, but keep an open mind.

I am the same way, in the morning I cannot eat anything of substance I can only tolerate shakes or liquids. It's funny around 8pm my sleeve (lucifer) lets me eat more mushy stuff.

I'm not sure when you had your surgery but if you are having difficulty with the Protein shakes you need to contact your doctor or nutritionist immediately. I can speak from personal experience that for me the most tragic event I have experienced is the hair loss. I consume the Protein and liquid required per day and still I suffer from Hair loss. I've gone to GNC and found a supplement for hair (biotin) that also helps nails and skin and take it faithfully daily. Have seen hair loss slow down. Stilll happening but nothing like in the beginning. You may need to experiment with shakes and try other brands to see if they will settle better for you. One brand my doctor's office recommended is a Protein shake available at Sam's club. I'll find out what the name of it is and will reply tomorrow to provide the brand name to you.

Reading above about the flavor of yogurt, etc... You may want to try Torani sugar free syrups. There are a variety to choose from to enhance foods and drinks. I have heard of other sleevers on this site who use the syrups in their yogurt to change up the flavor and keep a variety in the taste so they won't burn out too quickly.

Best advise I can give you is to make sure you consume your allotted PROTEIN and Water daily. This should help keep your energy level up until you reach the next stage in the process. Oh yea, be sure to watch your carbohydrates closely and consume as few as possible.

I just remembered the name of the shake; the brand is Premier. I believe they are avaiable in vanilla or chocolate and they contain a good number of carbs in a small drink. I know my cousin used them years ago when she had the full gastric by-pass procedure. Keep them as cold as possible. Another source I consume for protein is Isopure Protein Drinks. You'll have to try them one at a time to determine the flavors you can drink. I personally prefer the grape frost (tastes like unsweetened grape cool-aid) and the pineapple orange banana flavor. I still drink them faithfully daily and plan to continue having them. After a while you adjust to them and you may find them easier to drink than the protein (shake) drinks. One Isopure is 20 ozs. of liquid but you consume 40 grams of protein! 40 grams, GREAT!

Better run for now. I hope your system straightens up so you can get your necessary protein in.

Take care of yourself. Have a great day!

I didn't like cottage cheese before surgery. I'd avoid it like the plague, but now I like it. 1/2 cup of non fat and 13 grams of Protein. can't go wrong with that.

Maybe scrambled eggs would be better, also you don't have to keep the yolks. The dry yolks of boiled eggs were always chalky and were doused in ketchup before consumption lol.

you'll find your way! there's also Beans too, but you gotta watch the carbs. and there's non-fat cheese, but too much will cause bowel issues