Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think the clothing aspect of this journey is absolutely the worst! I just don't know what to buy I know I won't use any of the clothes I buy right now for very long so every time I put something in my cart, I decide against buying and walk out empty handed. At this rate I'm gonna be walking around in my birthday suit!!! Ok so really I have bought 1 track outfit, 1 pr of Capri stretchy pants to sleep in and 1 pr of long yoga pants. My tops are baggy but still pretty much wearable. How soon did folks have to totally get rid of what they already owned? I tried cleaning out my closet yesterday but everything I picked up I talked myself out of getting rid of it. I guess it's a good thing I'm a pack rat cause I have a few items a size smaller than I was wearing. And some of my summer stuff used to fit me really tight so I'm thinking I might still get some use out of them. Sigh.... I don't know. It just stresses me out thinking about it.

I just hit the clearance racks last week. So many things are really cheap right now!! I bought some things that don't fit me now but will in a few weeks. I was also putting off buying things as I felt it was just throwing money away!

I am so thankful that I work from home. I don't know how you guys do it that have to dress up for work every day!! Luckily if my clothes are baggy it is fine. I have a couple of things that fit for when I do out.

I wish I k new what size I was going to be. I would buy a ton of stuff on clearance right now!

My plan ( fingers crossed that I get to this point) is to basically have one or two outfits per "step" of weight loss (I consider a "step" probably 20 pounds). Since my weight has fluctuated from 16-24 over the last 6 years I do have things I can dig out of my closets/storage but a lot of that is literally buried in contractor bags and big plastic totes. And I didn't sort anything by size or season or type of outfit when I threw everything in storage over the years. I am anticipating buying a couple pair of pants and tops every month -- but I will not be buying anything that is not heavily on sale.... and if you find a really great deal it might be kind of fun to buy a few decreasingly smaller sizes to have on hand to keep trying on until they fit.

~Dana

2/3rds of my closet is gone at 14 weeks out. I am at the end of what I can to wear for work (I had sizes 14-20 to start off with), which should get me through the next 10-15 lbs, but then I'm going to have a problem. Since I don't want to invest much of anything in "in between" clothes, I'm heading to Goodwill in a few weeks.

I have to dress quite professionally at work, and lemme tell ya, it's been expensive AND a big chore staying clothed! I had my surgery in March, and had to buy all new summer things for work, but at least we can dress corporate casual during the summer, so while pricey, it wasn't devastating.

Then winter hit our area swiftly, and I found myself with nothing to wear but 3Xs, and I was more like a 12/14 in late October/early November! I had to very quickly amass a professional work wardrobe. I spent a LOT of money, mostly online, as I just did not have time to hit the malls and consignment stores for such large quantities (I live in a very small town so have to go elsewhere to shop brick and mortar stores). Of course, online shopping resulted in lots of returns and reorders, but I got it all done within two weeks. I had to buy everything new from underwear to pajamas to work clothes to casual clothes to outerwear, which of course demanded new shoes and accessories :-)

THEN after all that work and expense, and it was a lot of work, not just shopping but making the alterations myself, I quickly lost another pants size and had to buy all new pants, both for work and casual, AGAIN. And I had to make the alterations AGAIN!! I just got finished with the latest set of pants yesterday. Whew!! But I'm at goal and hopefully this will do me for a while.

But one thing has helped during the entire process. I chose a central color scheme and stuck to it. So every item in the new wardrobe goes with every other item in the new wardrobe. I vowed never to hide behind black again, so all my pants and shoes are in various shades of browns. My tops are in the best colors for my skin tone, which are the warm colors, such as spice, rust, browns, ivories, orangey reds, peach, coral, yellow greens, and orangey yellows. All my new jewely, purses, and other accessories go with everything.

Strange thing to gripe about... having to put together an entire new FLATTERING wardrobe!

I have been using clothes in my closet (sizes ranged from L - 2X and pants 16-24). I wear l/xl tops now and 14/16 pants. I have been hitting the clearance racks and buying stuff that's a little tight because in a week or two it will fit or be too loose.

But to be honest its a problem, I can't complain about... I've waited for this for a very long time!

I was able to get great deals at local thrift stores. I have been amazed at the quality and name brand items that I have found. So much so that now that I'm in consistent sized clothes, it kills me to pay retail, even when it's on sale.

I am only 3 weeks out but have already been fitting into clothes I previously couldn't or finally able to 'dry' some others. I am also lucky enough to have old clothes for my trip down. I did go thrift store shopping the other day though and it was great. I didn't buy anything that fit comfortably and bought some stuff that didn't even fit! I spent 35 bucks and got maybe 6 or 7 shirts and a pair of jeans. I am loving it, I don't plan on buying store clothes unless I have some sort of event/party to attend. It's goodwill for me for now, I don't want to blow a ton of money on clothes that aren't going to fit for long. :)

I found pants for $3.20 at Kohls! My daughter was with me and she bought 3 pr of pants and a pair of shorts for under $15. That is my kind of shopping! I bought a few things that don't fit yet and if I don't get much use out of them... O h well :)

Love shopping this time of year!

I know this sounds silly, but some of the items I own that are elastic banded have been great. I seem to get a lot more use out of them than the others because they're usually designed to be flowing in the first place, so that extra loss isn't quite so noticeable. I can pull in the elastic a bit and then they're fitting again (for a little while!). Other than that, I'm trying to limit myself to one pair of fitted pants per size. I haven't had to worry about shirts... yet... but there are a lot of things I wore immediately before surgery that I just can't any more because they've become indecent :P

glad all my clothes have elastic bands.. I will wear those til they dont stay up anymore..and as for work.. I only wear scrubs at both jobs.. so those are elastic too.. so I will wear those til the elastic doesnt keep them up.. so Ive got a ways to go anyways before I get to that point..

Well I've also been able to shop my closet also. Unfortunately those clothes are old, and while its ok sometimes, I prefer to look a little trendy, especially when I go out with my husband or the girls. Honestly I tend to stick grays and black and grays. Don't get me wrong I love color, but if I wear the same black pants 3-4 times in a week, it is much less noticeable. Same with the blouses, I can pull of a neutral color shirt a lot more than an aqua one. But saying that I don't like to be one who constantly is seen in the same outfit.

So I shop clearance racks. Yesterday I got a pair of skinny jeans for $10. Can't beat that, especially because I love the way they look with boots. Because of the weight loss I feel the need to look my best, I guess that's why I really wear the old stuff in my closet, because its old. I've also noticed that I've become quite vain since I've had the surgery.

So I usually will buy stuff that cost no more than $15 and it has to be something that I am going to use a lot and can be work at work, or out.

I agree so much!! I mostly have keep wearing my baggy top, and have hit resale shops to supplement a few things that fit right. I've really struggled with pants and jeans! I was on a track where about 3 weeks after getting them, they were too big. I've got one pair of jeans that fits correctly, and they are now starting to get a little loose in the back. Such a weird thing to complain about, but I hear ya!

I am going to hit up the resale shop again this weekend for jeans. And I guess Target for some underthings, since those are now too big too. My fiance thinks its hilarious that my underwear are too big. :blink:

glad all my clothes have elastic bands.. I will wear those til they dont stay up anymore..and as for work.. I only wear scrubs at both jobs.. so those are elastic too.. so I will wear those til the elastic doesnt keep them up.. so Ive got a ways to go anyways before I get to that point..

Nancy, the last time I lost weight I wore my scrubs til they were so big I flashed someone! Lol trying to be more conservative this time! :-)

Nancy' date=' the last time I lost weight I wore my scrubs til they were so big I flashed someone! Lol trying to be more conservative this time! :-)[/quote']

This exactly my plan for work. They supply my scrubs so I can wear them in any size I choose. It's the hours off work I need to think about. Guess I will be hitting some thrift stores. I don't mind thrift store shopping but the plus size clothes always suck so I'm trying to hold off till I'm down a few more sizes.