Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

P90X Post OP?

Good Morning,

I was wondering if anyone has ever done P90X post op. I am three weeks post op and would like to start working out. Atleast, my arms as I am already starting to get sagging skin :( . I really am excited to start working out becuase I feel thats a part of my new life. I feel that the longer I prolong it, my surgery wont work. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

I was told to wait till week 5 to try intense exercise programs. I think P90X looks awesome and also looks like a lot of core work, which is great, but be careful- you are still healing at week 3. You can however start with the treadmill and elliptical. And lifting lighter weights- I was cleared for 5 pounds and 5 pound increases each week after surgery. Good Luck!

Right on thanks. I just want to see the scale move a bit more. I am excited though, to get going. My oldest goes back to school tomorrow so I'll try heading out to the gym. :) thanks for your advice.

Right on thanks. I just want to see the scale move a bit more. I am excited though, to get going. My oldest goes back to school tomorrow so I'll try heading out to the gym. :) thanks for your advice.

Sure! I have been working out since 13 and I am 39- and believe me you I was chomping at the bit to get going because it seemed like I felt good enough to go crazy three weeks out but, and there is a big BUT, I think it was a better idea to wait just two more weeks. I started on the treadmill AND elliptical one week after surgery without any trouble. I know about the sagging skin- it drives me nuts but it is getting better now that I can lift heavier weights- I started that two months from surgery.

Talk to your Doctor. I would do nothing besides walking for 6 weeks. The P90X is a very good workout but probably too much for someone who is TRYING to get back to normal weight. There is a fitness test that comes with the P90X. If you can pass that, I say go for it. You will enjoy and get more out of the program if you are able to keep up. They do have modified moves but I still think the plyometrics part of the program is too much for someone who just had surgery. Keep us posted and good luck.

I've been doing P90X despite my weight I am able to run and do very strenuous workouts. As a matter of fact I was able to do a half marathon in Oct it's going over a mountain. I just don't know if the movements could do anything to my sleeve. Ill be meeting with my surgeons tomorrow. :)

I'm a hoop dancer, which uses lots of core muscle. My doc told me to wait until at least 6 weeks out before I started to do anything that would work my core. He said until then to stick with lighter cardio options such as walking, ellipticals, and the such.

Just as was mentioned, at 3 weeks we're still healing, the last thing you want to do is stretch, pull, or rip anything before its ready to be pulled and stretched. :wacko:

This is a silly question compared to this tread but its relevant so please give your experience. I was planning on getting a tattoo a week after surgery. It just worked out that the appt was a week after surgery. My sleeve surgery is Thursday. Due to you all saying you have experienced sagging skin I'm thinking I should postpone my appt for a few month until I can life weights so my tattoo doesn't get all warped in the skin flapping around. Do you agree or will that not matter? I love swimming for cardio. Any idea if we can swim right after surgery??:0/

This is a silly question compared to this tread but its relevant so please give your experience. I was planning on getting a tattoo a week after surgery. It just worked out that the appt was a week after surgery. My sleeve surgery is Thursday. Due to you all saying you have experienced sagging skin I'm thinking I should postpone my appt for a few month until I can life weights so my tattoo doesn't get all warped in the skin flapping around. Do you agree or will that not matter? I love swimming for cardio. Any idea if we can swim right after surgery??:0/

Well, sagging skin kinda happens along the journey, and its not a sure thing that lifting weights for a few months will stop sagging skin. Sometimes it takes time, and depends on so many other variables, including genetics and how dedicated you are in the long run. My surgeon told me I won't know for sure how my skin is going to reshape to me for sure for up to 2 years post op. I think it also depends on where on your body you're looking to put your tattoo. I had one previously on the center of my spine, and its weathered things pretty well.

Good luck!

You cannot swim right after surgery, high risk of infection, ask your doc when it's ok. Where are you getting your tattoo?

You cannot swim right after surgery, high risk of infection, ask your doc when it's ok. Where are you getting your tattoo?

Yes- where are you thinking of getting the tattoo? I have several and always picked areas where I felt the skin changed the least like the back of my neck, ankle, and wrist. My opinion if it were me would be to wait if it is somewhere where you carry your weight.

I want it on my shoulder/arm under my current one that hasn't stretched. I feel like the inside of my arm will sag but not my top arm so much. I wouldn't want to regret it thoug

Hi all,

I am 11 1/2 months out and just got my P90X today...I will let you know how it goes!

I am now 6 weeks post op and doing p90x and loving it.

I'm 6 weeks and 2 days out and just did Zumba for 40 min and cycling for 20 min. I burned off all the calories I ate today. So, I'm going to have dinner now. Not sure what yet... I'm down 20 pounds since surgery and I'm now incorporating exercise, so I'm really hoping to see more toning and weight loss over the next few months...heck...weeks.