Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone. I am brand new to the board and this is my first post. I went to the free weight loss seminar this past week and have started the process to get sleeved. I have tried so many things from diet and exercise to phentermine and nothing worked long term.

My question...did you tell people when you were going through the process to get approved and when you actually had the surgery or did you keep it private? I am torn...I want to tell some people, but on the other hand I just want to keep quiet about it.

There were a few people I told as soon as I started trying to get approval. Those were select and far between. Once I got the approval, I told more people. Then, when getting ready to go on leave for surgery, I told more people. Just tell who you want, if you want.

I told the people who I wanted to know. I told close friends/family/co-workers, I did not post it on Facebook however. lol Right before I left work I did basically tell people because I work at a hospital...if you disappear for 4 to 6 weeks and come back thinner, they will know anyway! It's a personal decision, you don't owe it to anyone to tell but might want to share with some for support.

My mom went to the seminar with me, did not really say anything to the rest of my family till I was approved. I would say there is only a hand full people know I had surgery. I am more of a private person. It is up to you. I had one nosy woman walk up to me and ask me if I had weight loss surgery and it was the only time I lied I looked at her and said NO and walked away. I do not want people walking up to me asking me that kind of question with out knowing me. Most people thinking I am doing it myself I started working out and dieting 4 1/2 months before surgery and I lost 20lbs so people seeing me trying before hand so it was a little easier, and most people are not so rude to ask that question so directly.

Only my best friend and my husband knew I was going through the process ( it takes 2 years across here and only 10 people a year are accepted in each postcode) I did tell my family after I had the operation but apart from that I have kept it to myself. WLS is a very frowned upon thing where I live and people have the "it's the easy way out" opinion.

It's up to you who you tell or don't tell, it's you who is going through the life changing journey nobody else. Go with what makes you feel comfortable and at a later date if you want to tell more people then the option is always there. Xxx

I have told my immediate family, and I will tell my boss, but I work from home and don't think I will share with many others.

I only told my parents and my best friend. Not that it bothers me that people know, it's just that I am a private person and I feel people generally don't want to hear my problems. There is also the fact that I can tell them anytime I want, but once you've told, it can't be taken back.

I told VERY few people. I am 15 days post op and only a hand full of people even know.

I am a very private person. The only people that are aware of my surgery are my parents. I prefer not to discuss my surgery with others. I do not want people to judge me. Therefore, some people are more open than me. Good luck on your journey.

If someone asks me that I do not feel comfortable telling my business to, I just explain that I had a hiatal hernia repaired and as a result had to be on a restrictive diet to help with the healing. Down the road I'll just say that this jump started my weight loss. I dont feel I need to tell anyone that doesn't already know, as you know how much people like to judge, and I've been judged enough for being fat that I dont need it for getting skinny!!!!!!!!

That is exactly how I feel! I am tired of being judged. I just feel like it is no one else's business. I am glad I found this board for support.

I haven't told anyone except my wife and my best friend. I didn't get real specific with her either, just said that I was having stomach surgery. I was sleeved on a Tuesday and took vacation days, and went back to work on the following Monday. I was never a big lunch with the guys kinda of person, so it hasn't been too hard. I don't plan to tell anyone, it isn't their concern.

I was so excited of the new change I told everyone that crossed my path!! They all are e cited for me and very supportive like my psychiatrist says this Is no way the easiest way out to loosing weight but the hardest to learn how to eat :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I took my time telling people and getting comfortable with the experience. Before surgery, just my husband and children. After, my besties. Now, I don't tell people who aren't close to me or are judgmental. I do tell other people who are struggling with their weight if I am asked. I do not feel it is fair to know how much they are going through in life and allow them to think I lost weight so easily. And, I want people to know that it has not been easy either. I don't want to lie to people, so when asked, if I don't want to supply details, I simply say that I changed my priorities. And that is the truth.

please only tell those closest to you, in the beginning. the start of my journey (first info. session until surgery date) was a year. so glad i took the advice of the professionals and kept much of the life changing decisions to myself. you know what is right for you. best of luck on your journey. :)