Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any senior gals get the sleeve? I'm in Florida for the winter and have a consult with a dr in Cleveland Clinic? Any advice?

Yep, there are several ladies on this forum in their 50's and 60's.

I was 59 when sleeved in March 2012. Had no complications, lost weight steadily and rapidly without even one stall, and consider it to be the best thing I've ever done for myself.

Others will chime in shortly, I'm sure.

I was worried that I was too old, but my surgeon took my hands in his, looked me in the eye, and convinced me otherwise. I am forever grateful.

Good luck!!

I don't think of the 50s/60s as being "senior." LOL To me, as long as your heart can withstand surgery, you are probably a good candidate. But, in the meantime, 50s/60s today is like 40s/50s in the past...middle age!

Marsha

i had the sleeve when i was 58 - as "they" say, best decision i've ever made for myself

there are many of "us" that are "over 21", yet under 100 :lol: that are sleeve survivors and proud of it :)

most everyone on the board say they wish they had the WLS years ago - but the past is the past - being sleeved now is great too

having WLS - losing all that extra weight for health reasons (my diabetes meds/insulin, high blood pressure meds, CPAP are all gone) is wonderful :) no matter what your age

good luck with your wise decision to have the WLS

see you around the neighborhood

I'm 54 and had it done a few weeks ago. For me, it was a risk vs. benefit situation. My obesity was negatively impacting my health, with the potential for even more serious complications. As long as you are healthy enough to pass the medical clearances, this surgery should be considered. I would talk to your primary care physician. Mine was so incredibly supportive. She was very helpful.

Had my surgery at age 56 in April, 2012. I turned 57 the following July.

The journey has been amazing. My surgery went well, very little pain and just some minor discomfort. I have lost in one year approximately 100 pounds and am working toward my final goal weight.

I was so heavy before, and I would huff and puff walking even a short distance. My knees hurt. I felt and was so out of shape and I led a sendentary life. No more...I am out and about and enjoying being active.

Best thing I ever did for myself, and yes, I wish I had done it earlier, but the sleeve surgery is fairly new, so I guess the timing was just perfect for me!!

Good luck!!

Any senior gals get the sleeve? I'm in Florida for the winter and have a consult with a dr in Cleveland Clinic? Any advice?

Oh Gawd!! Am I considered a senior at 49???? I think of "seniors" as 70 and older. Of course, the 25 year olds think of "senior" as being over 40! :)

Look at all the old people. :D

Look at all the old people. :D

Yeah OTR, can ya help an old gal out?? Geez.

Here's what I think...when the time is right, go for it. Give it all you got. Period.

No regrets. I was in a size 3X - 4X and now a size 14 at 57 years old. I haven't been in a 14 since my 20's. Darn straight I'm happy, I feel mahvelous.

Go for it!

I am 60 and had surgery 12/21 and don't regret it at all. My bmi was 35.8 and I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Have had no issues - no pain; no gas; able to get down 60 of Water and 3 30-35 gram Protein Shakes a day. Will be able to eat pureed food starting this coming Friday. I can't t believe how uneventful it has been. And as of 1/4 I am down 26 pounds from my starting weight.

I'm 60. I have my first surgeon consult this coming week. I am doing the 3 months of medically supervised by my PCP diet as required by my insurance...which is a joke, but what are ya gonna do? I know what it is like to be thin and I WANT it back!!. I lost 110 pounds on medifast in 1989 as well as my gallbladder. I kept it off with a slow creeping upward climb until 2000. Then menopause, my mother's death, depression, and anti-depressants all came together in one perfect storm and I crumbled. Gained about 100 lbs in a little over 6 months time. I crawled up to 289 a couple of years ago, then started counting weight watcher points and over a year lost 50 lbs. Then I stopped losing. Just....stopped. No idea why. I counted points another year without losing any at all. The last 3 months that I counted points, I actually began to gain again. Probably a lot of things I was doing wrong- portion creep, not weighing my food, etc. But anyway, I have gained 20 back since I gave up counting points and seem to have stopped at 250 for the past 6 months. My shrink has provided 5 years of documentation of my weight battle to the insurance company, so that part is covered. So yeah...60 years old, but big deal. I'm still 18 in my mind and I am still working full time and will be probably until I die. So, I am going to grab all the gusto I can get and will cheer each of you onward as you each make your own journey.

Thx to all all of u for your input. I'm 69 and have my consult with the dr jan 22. I am actually 5 lbs under a bmi of 35. I'm sure I can gain a little if I must.

I am 60 and had surgery 12/21 and don't regret it at all. My bmi was 35.8 and I have high blood pressure and high cholesterol. Have had no issues - no pain; no gas; able to get down 60 of Water and 3 30-35 gram Protein shakes a day. Will be able to eat pureed food starting this coming Friday. I can't t believe how uneventful it has been. And as of 1/4 I am down 26 pounds from my starting weight.

Hi, where did u have this done? You appear to be doing great. Thx for your reply. I will be 70 next Dec. Marcia

I'm a young senior @ 55 and I did it so I could become a older senior without weight related complications and live happier and healthier? Good luck!

MarciaM,

Did the surgeons' office mention whether the Medicare rules in your home state (since you said you were temporarily in Florida) had any impact on being approved? I know that Florida has easier approval than many states; in fact, some Medicare states won't even approve the sleeve.

I'm 66, and I'm committed to having this surgery. I only wish I had been able to do it sooner!