Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which protein is best for "our" needs?

I have used Muscle MIlk in the past, great tasing, easy to make, I am comfortable with it.

What I want to know though, is this a good option for getting protien into my diet even though I am not working out or lifting weighs at the present time, or are there better options for getting the Protein in?

Some brands and such would really be helpful.

Things i have tried:

Isopure drink = weird fur taste - horrible

whey protien 2.5oz shot = OMG the agony!!!!! almost threw up

I really like the Premium Nutrition shakes. I get them at Sam's Club. They have 30g Protein and 160 calories which is better than the muscle milk. I think the same thing about Isopure but if I have to drink it I like the Alpine Punch.

I really wanted to look at powders. They are chearper than buying RTDs in my case.

Pure Protein mixes well. I've only tried the vanilla, mix it with 4 oz. water/4 oz. Trop50 OJ and it tastes like a dreamcicle. YUM!

I don't know about brand names with powders I drink Premiere shakes from sams at well I think it may come in powder. I like the taste of the RTD that i have tried. My nut says the first ingredient in any protien we use should be whey isolate, if that helps any.

I'm not a big fan of the powders..I've tried them all and never found one I can hack. I could live on Premiers though. Wish that they made more than two flavors but I switch back and forth.

I like unjury. I have used their chocolate Splendor in my coffee, their vanilla in my coffee, their cheese, their unflavored (a misnomer, but it's not *that* bad), and their chicken Soup, which I love. It's all powdered. [www.unjury.com]

I tried premier (vanilla) from costco. I'm not very fond of it.

I drink 2 ENS shakes a day as they contain all of the Vitamins and Calcium needed for a day (except iron). I mix it with 4oz if skim milk and 4oz of Water so it's not so thick. It doesn't taste wonderful, but I can't stomach Vitamins right now so it's better than having to choke those down.

What I truly like is unjury in all it's forms. The chocolate Splendor really does taste like chocolate milk to me!

My NUT gave me some samples and now I order both the tubs and the packets. As for RTD, I do EAS Carb Control from Walmart. It's cheap and tastes fine without being carb heavy (which can slow your weight loss).

What is "ENS?"

Renegade, do you have a budget? There are many good options, however high quality Proteins aren't cheap.

The best are whey proteine isolate. Micro filtered is preferable. Both unjury & nectar are top quality powders. But they are somewhat expensive.

Six Star is a good option on a budget, but really is barely palatable in my opinion.

And you are right. High quality RTDs are quite pricy. Typically around $4 for 30g or $5 for 40g, whereas even the best powders are about 1/2 that cost per gram of Protein.

Btw both Unjury & nectar offer sample packs. I highly recommend getting one from each so you can finds what you like.

Another thing, when you try Unjury chicken Soup flavor, don't overheat it.

You should try...About Time Protein powder, you can get it a GNC. It has 25g of Protein, 103 calories - no artificial sugars, no artificial flavors, no grow hormones, gluten free, zero carbs, zero fat. It is 100% whey protein isolate, which I hear is supposed to be good for us.

Did I mention it taste great?!?! I use it in my smoothies, that include kale/collard greens and pineapples with the "About Time" Protein Powder added, it's like a pina colada. :P You can also mix it with Water in a Blender Bottle. I paid $30 for a 2lb container. I hope this helps.

Most of the major bariatric Protein companies offer sample/variety packs and I highly recommend order those first.

I absolutely HATE About Time and Syntrax nectar but most people love them, and your taster really does change after surgery!

Renegade' date=' do you have a budget? There are many good options, however high quality Proteins aren't cheap.

The best are whey proteine isolate. Micro filtered is preferable. Both powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury & nectar are top quality powders. But they are somewhat expensive.

Six Star is a good option on a budget, but really is barely palatable in my opinion.

And you are right. High quality RTDs are quite pricy. Typically around 4 for 30g or 5 for 40g, whereas even the best powders are about 1/2 that cost per gram of Protein.

Btw both Unjury & nectar offer sample packs. I highly recommend getting one from each so you can finds what you like.

Another thing, when you try Unjury chicken Soup flavor, don't overheat it.

[/quote']

Thank you for this. I've been looking for other threads where you've talked about this but couldnt find them.

I am using Six Star Pro Nutrition, whey Protein elite series triple chocolate. It has 30 grams of protein per scoop and 170 calories. I bought it at Walmart. It has a good taste.If you use skim milk or Almond milk it really punches up the flavor.

I am using Six Star Pro Nutrition' date=' whey Protein elite series triple chocolate. It has 30 grams of Protein per scoop and 170 calories. I bought it at Walmart. It has a good taste.If you use skim milk or Almond milk it really punches up the flavor.[/quote']

I went to Walmart today and by the orange juice section , on the top shelf I found a great Protein Drink, it's called "Protein Plus" its perishible, it's made by Bolthouse Farms (15.2oz) has 30 gr. protein, low fat I bought the blended coffee flavor, and it is great, the best ice tried so far, it's not a powder it's an already made, I'm still trying to find my right protein, and I think this is going to be it.