Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Preop smokers? Help please!

It raises risk for clotting. I quit by using a nicotene free electric cigerete for a week then didn't need it anymore..I smoked for 15 years..u can do it!! Do it soon though so your not on pre open diet while craving nicotine..quit this month that way u do one at a time.

Alright thanks! I'm going to start working on it. I still don't have a date yet I think that's part of my problem with quitting because I'm stressing out so much.

I too am a smoker...recently picked it back up due to some family health issues (yeah, I know...) but I have to say I have tried everything under the sun to quit. I tried the patch and it gave me awful nightmares. Used Chantix and my moods went crazy. Tried the gum but that stuff tasted gross...(do you see all the excuses here?) So I finally tried Wellbutrin. Helped tremendously! I was nicotine free for over a year and was doing great. Gained some weight, but whatever, I'm fat already so the few pounds didn't bother me much. I too have to quit before my surgery and have actually set my quit date for January 31. One of the things I learned when attempting to quit all the other times is giving yourself a quit date. Write this date EVERYWHERE. Make post it notes with the date on it and stick them to the mirror in the bathroom, on the wall next to your bed, on your closet doors, in your car...wherever you will see them. This date will be implanted in your brain. If you are going to go the medication route...push your quit date out about 2 weeks after starting the meds (this is when you really see the effects). You might quit before your actual quit date, but give yourself some time just in case. When your quit date hits, throw away any remaining cigarettes you have left, toss out all your lighters, febreeze everything that you use to smoke around, wash all your clothes, bedding, anything that would have a hint of smoke in it. Throw out ash trays, anything related to your smoking habit. If you have the oral fixation, carry around something you can put in your mouth or hold in your hand. Keep healthy Snacks around so when you are craving a smoke, whip out a snack. Drink LOTS of Water. The first 3 days are the hardest, but I promise you it gets easier. You will start to feel the effects within a couple of days and you will be surprised at how much better things taste, how much more you can smell, and how much easier you can breathe.

You can do it!!! I will be your personal cheerleader!

Look at pictures of surgical complications due to smoking....that's all the incentive you need. I quit for a breast reduction in 2006. Nicotine might leave your body in 3 days but the physical effects of smoking take a while to heal. Wound dehiscence, infections, longer recovery time, more anesthesia complications - that was all I needed to hear before I quit cold turkey.

It sucked. I used two pieces of nicotine gum in the first 24 hours because I woke up and had a panic attack. No matter how you quit, it's going to suck. I didn't pick up a cigarette because I reminded myself if I caved, I'd have to go through all the misery all over again.

I quit in 2006. My surgery was in 2007 and I had no complications :) Haven't touched the stuff since. Think of it this way: even if you gain weight from quitting, you're in the process of getting weight reduction surgery. Perfect timing!

I quit smoking 10 months ago cold turkey I read on her that it was best so I started early ..you can do it ..it's hard in the beginning cause I got a sweet tooth after which I never had before but it took me three months to not have the urge I still when upset say dang I need a sick you kno it take will power and one day at a time to say today I won't smoke day by day you have to take it set smaller goals for stoping like I which u had more time cause everyday you could cut back once you fit all the nicotine out off your body you be fine my motivation was cause I wanted this surgery so bad I had to prove to myself and my Doctor that I was serious and I said if I could do this I could do anything good luck I kno you'll find your way

Smoke jars are awesome too! I smoked a pack a day. Everyday I didn't smoke I put 5 bucks into a savings account. Once I hit a year I went on vacation. It adds up! I had almost $2000.

I too am a smoker...recently picked it back up due to some family health issues (yeah' date=' I know...) but I have to say I have tried everything under the sun to quit. I tried the patch and it gave me awful nightmares. Used Chantix and my moods went crazy. Tried the gum but that stuff tasted gross...(do you see all the excuses here?) So I finally tried Wellbutrin. Helped tremendously! I was nicotine free for over a year and was doing great. Gained some weight, but whatever, I'm fat already so the few pounds didn't bother me much. I too have to quit before my surgery and have actually set my quit date for January 31. One of the things I learned when attempting to quit all the other times is giving yourself a quit date. Write this date EVERYWHERE. Make post it notes with the date on it and stick them to the mirror in the bathroom, on the wall next to your bed, on your closet doors, in your car...wherever you will see them. This date will be implanted in your brain. If you are going to go the medication route...push your quit date out about 2 weeks after starting the meds (this is when you really see the effects). You might quit before your actual quit date, but give yourself some time just in case. When your quit date hits, throw away any remaining cigarettes you have left, toss out all your lighters, febreeze everything that you use to smoke around, wash all your clothes, bedding, anything that would have a hint of smoke in it. Throw out ash trays, anything related to your smoking habit. If you have the oral fixation, carry around something you can put in your mouth or hold in your hand. Keep healthy Snacks around so when you are craving a smoke, whip out a snack. Drink LOTS of Water. The first 3 days are the hardest, but I promise you it gets easier. You will start to feel the effects within a couple of days and you will be surprised at how much better things taste, how much more you can smell, and how much easier you can breathe.

You can do it!!! I will be your personal cheerleader![/quote']

Only thing about making a date you find yourself smoking more cause of the date .. Your like let me get my cigs in cause after this date I can't smoke any more that's just my personal experience

Smoke jars are awesome too! I smoked a pack a day. Everyday I didn't smoke I put 5 bucks into a savings account. Once I hit a year I went on vacation. It adds up! I had almost $2000.

This is a great idea! Awesome way to pay for new clothes when I can finally go shopping too. :)

I did welbutrin and will power. Its tough and no lie I have honestly tried to pick it back up especially when I was denied by insurance the first time..I was sooo upset. but even trying to pick it back up I believe the welbutrin just won't let it happen. With that in mind..I am convinced its a total lack of will power on my part if I give in..and I'm too stubborn to let that happen anymore. Its been 6 months and I will be sleeved this coming Monday..good luck to all..you can do it. Promise

If you quit, why would you ever start up again?

If you quit' date=' why would you ever start up again?[/quote']

For me it was a tool used to comfort me. May be different for other smokers..that's just me. I guess you could ask the same question to drug addicts..alcoholics etc. Yes you know its bad and so is overeating..its all about addictions.

For me it was a tool used to comfort me. May be different for other smokers..that's just me. I guess you could ask the same question to drug addicts..alcoholics etc. Yes you know its bad and so is overeating..its all about addictions.

You said it best to describe me .. Well said this is how I felt like it was a tool cause the crazy part about it I only smoked at work when stress never at home or social

You said it best to describe me .. Well said this is how I felt like it was a tool cause the crazy part about it I only smoked at work when stress never at home or social

I met and social I smoked as well

stress is a killer! I smoked over 30 years and for me it's pure will power! if I had one, I would have 20. I can't do it. I worked so hard giving them up to have to do it all over. plus i think of all the $ I'm saving, my health and I no longer smell like an ashtray!

I did welbutrin and will power. Its tough and no lie I have honestly tried to pick it back up especially when I was denied by insurance the first time..I was sooo upset. but even trying to pick it back up I believe the welbutrin just won't let it happen. With that in mind..I am convinced its a total lack of will power on my part if I give in..and I'm too stubborn to let that happen anymore. Its been 6 months and I will be sleeved this coming Monday..good luck to all..you can do it. Promise

I was denied too and I so wanted to smoke...but I had come too far and I resisted!;) I still get cravings every now and then hut they pass quickly. Good thing I see something else shiny and I forget lol

stress is a killer! I smoked over 30 years and for me it's pure will power! if I had one' date=' I would have 20. I can't do it. I worked so hard giving them up to have to do it all over. plus i think of all the I'm saving, my health and I no longer smell like an ashtray![/quote']

Exactly..if I had just 'one' it would turn into much more! Trust me there are times if I smell one..I want it but I don't want to go thru the quitting process again...ever!