Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Colorado sleevers?

Re: In-person Support Groups - I have only gone to support group meetings at Sky Ridge in Lone Tree...not every month, but 3-4 times this year. (I had surgery in late December 2012) This particular support group doesn't really do much for me. It seems like the main people who attend on a regular basis fit into two categories: people who HAVE NOT been sleeved/lap banded/bypassed and people who have had some sort of bariatric surgery but have had weight gain. There are almost no successful, POST OPERATIVE weight loss people to talk to. I don't find it as motivating, because it's almost like if people are not struggling post surgery (one year, two year, etc POST OP), they do not need the support group which kind of creates a vacuum.

At the last meeting I went to, the only person there who had lost all her weight AND was maintaining for more than a couple of years spoke about being so regimented re: her cooking/eating, I just could not imagine that would be me. I have four kids under the age of 11...youngest is 3. This woman cooks all her food on Sunday and packs them in individual pre-portioned containers. I would need another refrigerator just to hold this much food, but more importantly, it just seemed kind of extreme...not a realistic way to live. But, I have very little to compare it to, because all the other post surgery people who are as far out from surgery as her have weight issues....Most of these weight issue people had lap bands and are struggling.

If any of you have attended an in-person support group somewhere in the state, was it like this (as I describe) or did you find more successful, long timers in attendance?

I haven't had caffeine or soda in about 5 months. I am 10 pounds down and my only thing left is my psych eval and I'm having a heck of a time finding someone to see me as they are all not accepting new patients or no longer practicing. I finally found one guy who will see me in September but if like to get it over with sooner if possible. Been working out about 30 mins a day 5-6 days a week and can definitely see some toning already and plan to up the exercise as I go.

I was originally going to go to Penrose and started the process there but changed jobs and my new insurance required me to go to Denver.

That's interesting that you have to find your own person to do the psych evaluation. At Parker Adventist, the psych evaluation is done on site. The person is part of the bariatric team. I can't give you any suggestions about how to find someone, because I didn't need to look. So sorry about that! BUt, otherwise, sounds like you are doing great! I lost 20 lbs in the 4 months prior to surgery, but 7 of those pounds came from the pre-surgery liquid diet.

I'm finding my own in hopes of saving a trip to Denver to save gas and not have to take of work so I can save my time off. Apparently the psych community here in the springs is sparse.

I could have lost a lot more but I wasn't motivated due to the fact that I was changing jobs and didn't know if my new insurance would even consider the surgery. I slipped into a very unmotivated place and just slacked off. Once I found out my new insurance would cover it I got serious. My 10 pound loss has been in the past 2 months. I wish I wouldn't have let myself slack in the beginning though.

Dr. Metz was supposed to be my surgeon' date=' but the hospital let him go literally three weeks before my surgery. I could not imagine waiting to see what would happen with Dr. Metz, so I allowed Dr. Long to do my surgery, but it was a very upsetting thing.

I assume that you still do your annual check ups with Dr. Metz, so I was wondering how he is doing in his new practice?[/quote']

I just saw him last week, he is doing great, enjoying his own practice. I'm glad he is on his own, I have to have hernia surgery and because he is on his own, he can do it for me. Do you go to the monthly support groups?

I just saw him last week' date=' he is doing great, enjoying his own practice. I'm glad he is on his own, I have to have hernia surgery and because he is on his own, he can do it for me. Do you go to the monthly support groups?[/quote']

I did not go to ANY support group meetings at Adventist because of the transition between Metz and Long. It really was painful and scary and I felt like people who had Metz for a surgeon would be in the majority. My understanding from running into Metz at costco is that he was let go for $ reasons and Long had less experience so he cost the hospital less $. That being said, the way Metz talked about Long was not very professional regardless of how the hospital got rid of Metz. (Long was not Metz's manager and did not make the decision to get rid of him, so it seemed like a little displaced aggression....) In any case, I have been going to the Sky Ridge support group, but I was just complaining about it in this thread because it seems like most of the people there are either pre-surgery OR unsuccessful post-surgery. Also, the support group is for people with all types of bariatric surgery, so sleevers are still a smaller number than people with bypass. Do you go to the support group at Parker Adventist? If yes, what is it like?

I'm newly sleeved. Monday Aug 12' date=' Dr Metz did my surgery . I am located in Colorado Springs.[/quote']

How are you feeling?

I'm newly sleeved. Monday Aug 12' date=' Dr Metz did my surgery . I am located in Colorado Springs.[/quote']

Welcome to the losers bench!

I did not go to ANY support group meetings at Adventist because of the transition between Metz and Long. It really was painful and scary and I felt like people who had Metz for a surgeon would be in the majority. My understanding from running into Metz at costco is that he was let go for reasons and Long had less experience so he cost the hospital less . That being said' date=' the way Metz talked about Long was not very professional regardless of how the hospital got rid of Metz. (Long was not Metz's manager and did not make the decision to get rid of him, so it seemed like a little displaced aggression....) In any case, I have been going to the Sky Ridge support group, but I was just complaining about it in this thread because it seems like most of the people there are either pre-surgery OR unsuccessful post-surgery. Also, the support group is for people with all types of bariatric surgery, so sleevers are still a smaller number than people with bypass. Do you go to the support group at Parker Adventist? If yes, what is it like?[/quote']

I really like the support group at Parker. It is a great mixture of Long and Metz patients. I haven't been for a couple months due to being gone alot in summer. The meeting is this Thursday and open to all. Of course I just found out that my coaches meeting is scheduled for 6 so I don't think I can make it again. I have met some nice ladies there. I would love have my own get together as well. Would be fun and a bit more informal

I really like the support group at Parker. It is a great mixture of Long and Metz patients. I haven't been for a couple months due to being gone alot in summer. The meeting is this Thursday and open to all. Of course I just found out that my coaches meeting is scheduled for 6 so I don't think I can make it again. I have met some nice ladies there. I would love have my own get together as well. Would be fun and a bit more informal

Meliss00, Ah, and the support group meeting dates at BOTH Sky Ridge and Parker Adventist fall on Thursday nights...usually the same ones, but it is a problem for me because I am a Cub Scout den leader and our pack meetings are once a month on Thursday and my den meetings are twice a month on Thursday (same general time as support group meetings). That's teh main reason I did not go to ANY support group meetings initially...pre-surgery and not till the third month after surgery. I think meeting informally at a different time would be appealing. I have made one friend on VSG who lives in Parker (like me). Big difference is that she had her surgery done in Florida and then moved to Colorado. She also doesn't have a car, but it's been nice being able to talk to her about our struggles.

Meliss00' date=' Ah, and the support group meeting dates at BOTH Sky Ridge and Parker Adventist fall on Thursday nights...usually the same ones, but it is a problem for me because I am a Cub Scout den leader and our pack meetings are once a month on Thursday and my den meetings are twice a month on Thursday (same general time as support group meetings). That's teh main reason I did not go to ANY support group meetings initially...pre-surgery and not till the third month after surgery. I think meeting informally at a different time would be appealing. I have made one friend on VSG who lives in Parker (like me). Big difference is that she had her surgery done in Florida and then moved to Colorado. She also doesn't have a car, but it's been nice being able to talk to her about our struggles.[/quote']

I just sent you my info in a private message...

Colorado Springs here. Will be sleeved in Denver at University Hospital on October 3rd. Excited and nervous add heck.

Welcome! Best of luck on your surgery...

I'm in Aurora also. I can't believed I've never seen this thread.. Let's get it going again.... I'm a year out, sleeved by Dr. Metz. I would love to get in contact with more people here

I'm in Centennial, maybe we should do a "gathering" of some of us that are close by...

Re: In-person Support Groups - I have only gone to support group meetings at Sky Ridge in Lone Tree...not every month, but 3-4 times this year. (I had surgery in late December 2012) This particular support group doesn't really do much for me. It seems like the main people who attend on a regular basis fit into two categories: people who HAVE NOT been sleeved/lap banded/bypassed and people who have had some sort of bariatric surgery but have had weight gain. There are almost no successful, POST OPERATIVE weight loss people to talk to. I don't find it as motivating, because it's almost like if people are not struggling post surgery (one year, two year, etc POST OP), they do not need the support group which kind of creates a vacuum.

At the last meeting I went to, the only person there who had lost all her weight AND was maintaining for more than a couple of years spoke about being so regimented re: her cooking/eating, I just could not imagine that would be me. I have four kids under the age of 11...youngest is 3. This woman cooks all her food on Sunday and packs them in individual pre-portioned containers. I would need another refrigerator just to hold this much food, but more importantly, it just seemed kind of extreme...not a realistic way to live. But, I have very little to compare it to, because all the other post surgery people who are as far out from surgery as her have weight issues....Most of these weight issue people had lap bands and are struggling.

If any of you have attended an in-person support group somewhere in the state, was it like this (as I describe) or did you find more successful, long timers in attendance?

Well, my surgeon was Dr. Snyder at Rose. I've been going to support groups over there for almost 3 years now. There are some Metz patients coming because I think Metz now has privledges at Rose and is the backup for Snyder. I think we also get a few other surgeon's patients at our support groups. We have a couple of long timers there, a few who are about a year out, one who is close to 2 years and of course myself being almost 3. It's a mixed bag though and there are a lot of newbies with a lot of newbie type questions/concerns. It's all good though and I go because I love the NUT who runs them, she is awesome and I love her attitude, etc. So that is what keeps me coming back.

The one at Rose is open to anyone. You can PM me for details if nec.

Welcome! Best of luck on your surgery...

I'm in Centennial' date=' maybe we should do a "gathering" of some of us that are close by...

Well, my surgeon was Dr. Snyder at Rose. I've been going to support groups over there for almost 3 years now. There are some Metz patients coming because I think Metz now has privledges at Rose and is the backup for Snyder. I think we also get a few other surgeon's patients at our support groups. We have a couple of long timers there, a few who are about a year out, one who is close to 2 years and of course myself being almost 3. It's a mixed bag though and there are a lot of newbies with a lot of newbie type questions/concerns. It's all good though and I go because I love the NUT who runs them, she is awesome and I love her attitude, etc. So that is what keeps me coming back.

The one at Rose is open to anyone. You can PM me for details if nec.[/quote']

I would love a gathering and info about the support group. I will pm you!

Dr. Metz was supposed to be my surgeon' date=' but the hospital let him go literally three weeks before my surgery. I could not imagine waiting to see what would happen with Dr. Metz, so I allowed Dr. Long to do my surgery, but it was a very upsetting thing.

I assume that you still do your annual check ups with Dr. Metz, so I was wondering how he is doing in his new practice?[/quote']

Hi new to this page, was sleeved 10/23/12 by Metz. Down 100lbs

Hi new to this page, was sleeved 10/23/12 by Metz. Down 100lbs

Welcome and CONGRATS! That is awesome!