Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone approved by CIGNA?

Hi I have CIGNA as my insurance and I'm wondering if anyone with Cigna has been given a hard time for approval and how long was the process . Thanks

I was approved by Cigna. They require 5 business days for a decision. They said some additional paperwork was needed after I submitted so my advocate sent it that day. (even though she already sent it the first time). It was re-submitted for "reconsideration" and took and additional 5 business days. I had my surgery 5 days ago. :) They also require a 3 month supervised diet but no documentation of a weight history. good luck!!

I have Cigna as well. My approval process included 5 years of weight history and 6 months supervised diet. Once all of the documentation was submitted I was also told a 5 day turnaround. Once I contacted Cigna on the 5th day to check the status, I had been denied. They denied me because the PCP noted that she recommended me for surgery, but didn't specifically state "cleared for surgery" on her paperwork. The patient advocate got that info from the PCP and faxed to them, received the approval 2 days later. :-) Well worth the hassle...I get sleeved 1/10. So excited! Good luck. I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

I have Cigna too. I was submitted on Dec 8, but was denied. Cigna claimed they didn't receive the 3 month supervised diet (which they did receive), and they said that my pcp didn't provide enough documentation that I had an adequate comorbidity (which I do). My advocate sent the 3 month history again, and I got a letter from my pcp stating that this surgery would help my hyperlipidemia, which is my comorbidity, and Cigna states that hyperlipidemia is an adequate comorbidity. My advocate resubmitted all of that info on Dec 27. My advocate says she will call them by Friday if she hasn't heard from them. My Cigna asks for the exact same requirements as mommybo. Since my bmi is right at 35-36 and I only have one comorbidity (even though Cigna says you only have to have one), I'm not feeling real positive. If they deny me again, I will keep fighting....uggghhh.

I wAs approved by cigna recently. My first submussiin they denied because they needed another doctors opinion as to why this surgery will benefit you and also that i did not present my 3 minth supervised diet. Total BS! So i had my pcp write a letter if recommendation and resubmitted aling with my 3 ointh supervised diet ligs and was approved after 5 days. I am BMI 48 with a couple of comorbidities but they still like to play a little game. Good luck.

I have Cigna I needed a 6 month supervised visits and tests to be able to submit and now I have to wait 30 business days to find out if I'm approved or not

They denied me waiting for a appeal reallt depress I have Cigna

They denied me waiting for a appeal reallt depress I have Cigna

Oh no Ms Jackie! Praying for you!! Hang in there, remember I was denied at first too and then approved. It's like they don't EVER approve on the first try. Keep me updated. :rolleyes:

I will sis why was you denied at first?

I will sis why was you denied at first?

They needed the documentation of me seeing a nutritionist. My PCP saw me for the 3 month supervised diet because the requirements said it has to be supervised by your doctor OR a nutritionst. My advocate got me in that day with a nutrionist and she sent them her report that day. It was weird but it turned out ok. It was the week of Thanksgiving so I ended up waiting longer than a week for a response.

I have Cinga. I had to do 3 months of dietitian apoinments. 2 co-morbidities or a BMI over 40. I met all their requirements and was denined stating that surgery was not medically nessasary. My doctor then had to do a peer to peer with the Cinga medical director to get it approved. It only took 5 days total from submitting paper work to the approval.

My doctor peer peer appeal too waiting now

No problem at all with Cigna - quick turn around - all covered