Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All of my December sleevers...

Sleeved December 5th.

Had a leak, but in track with my weight loss. Down 64 pounds. Still on liquids only and I hope to transition to puréed foods soon!!

Glad you're ok after your leak. :)

Wow, I'd go crazy on 300 calories a day! I'm supposed to have between 400-800 a day, but I've been averaging 600-800 lately. I'm finding the swelling is going down, things are starting to feel normal, and I'm actually a little hungry, or empty sometimes. Yesterday for the first time, I just felt so.....unsatisfied. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but even though I had eaten a snack and was not hungry, I just felt like I needed something. So, for dinner had a little higher fat and some carbs, and felt great after that. What a great feeling to be able to eat just a little, keep within my calories/protein requirements, and not lose control! I'm still learning this, but I'm starting to really like this sleeve!

Ketosis is when your body is actually burning fat. That is a good thing' date=' at least in my opinion (I totally believe in the Atkins way of life). You're probably thinking of ketoacidosis--- which is extremely dangerous for diabetics. There are some that believe long term ketosis may not be healthy but there are plenty of studies that show that is is perfectly healthy. Just depends on what side you end up on in the debate.[/quote']

I know what ketosis is, but I still did not think it was healthy to be "in it" for a prolonged period of time. Someone else on this forum (maybe not this thread) posted that they were in ketosis and trying to "get out." I think it was a guy and he said that he perpetually smelled bad (was giving off an odor). Atkins may have a following, but honestly, I think his diet was just as much a fad as many of the others. If anything, one of the hardest parts about this surgery (for me) is the dependence on Protein. I was almost a complete vegetarian for 20 years and of course plant-based protein is less efficient than dairy/eggs/meat when your stomach is small. You need to eat a lot more quinoa and the ilk to get the same amount of protein.

I really wish there was a more standard approach to our surgery, because all the variables brought out on this forum get me a little crazy. Obviously, whatever your surgeon/NUT tells you to do is what you should do. I haven't gotten so much specific direction from mine, so I think that adds to my confusion.

Sleeved December 5th.

Had a leak' date=' but in track with my weight loss. Down 64 pounds. Still on liquids only and I hope to transition to puréed foods soon!![/quote']

Haven't seen you here in a while. Glad you are doing better post-leak.

So I meet my 40 pounds down in 2 mos! Sleeved dec 7th! But have seemed to fall off the wagon! Which caused me to bounce around 4 pounds! Need words of encouragement! Going bk to basics! Exercising but not as hard core as I usually do! Grrrrr aggravate myself when I let go because then I lose my drive!

I know what ketosis is, but I still did not think it was healthy to be "in it" for a prolonged period of time. Someone else on this forum (maybe not this thread) posted that they were in ketosis and trying to "get out." I think it was a guy and he said that he perpetually smelled bad (was giving off an odor). Atkins may have a following, but honestly, I think his diet was just as much a fad as many of the others. If anything, one of the hardest parts about this surgery (for me) is the dependence on Protein. I was almost a complete vegetarian for 20 years and of course plant-based protein is less efficient than dairy/eggs/meat when your stomach is small. You need to eat a lot more quinoa and the ilk to get the same amount of protein.

I really wish there was a more standard approach to our surgery, because all the variables brought out on this forum get me a little crazy. Obviously, whatever your surgeon/NUT tells you to do is what you should do. I haven't gotten so much specific direction from mine, so I think that adds to my confusion.

I'm apologize about explaining about ketosis. It was that it's been my experience that many people are confused and think you mean ketoacidosis, which they know is dangerous.

I'm a believer in Atkins because 13 years ago, for the first time in my life, I was able to lose 160lbs following the Atkins philosophy. ( I was still overweight but a size 16 and I was pretty happy). It was the right fit for me because I am definitely a meat eater. I managed to keep the weight off for a long time because I continued following a low carb lifestyle. About 5 or 6 years ago I started slowly gaining -- about 10 pounds a year -- and I just could not lose it. (I've still managed to keep the other 100 lbs off). I thought maybe my body had adjusted to low carb and maybe I should try Weight Watchers, which I did, and GAINED weight on 1200 calories a day. I really believe that I fall into the category of people that carbs must be kept as low as possible in order to lose and maintain. I realize it's not for everyone -- some people can do fine with carbs. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

I totally agree with you about the inconsistencies with post-sleeve diets. It's crazy. The only thing they do seem to have in common is that it is a high protein/low carb diet. My plan does not state specific calories, which I find completely annoying. My issue over the last few weeks (since I began solid food) is that carbs are so much easier to eat with the sleeve. One or two bites of dense protein and I am miserable. Right now I'm sitting here eating lunch - 1.7 oz of sliced roasted chicken breast -- and I feel like I ate a 2 lb ribeye. It is no longer l pleasant to eat meat and I don't look forward to it. Last night I had Special K and low carb milk for dinner because I just could not bring myself to eat something dense. Sometimes I just eat soft scrambled eggs because it's easier. The other day I ate a biscuit (which was heaven ) and it went down so easily. Apparently I do not have the same issues with bread as some sleevers (which is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned). I also still rely on my Protein Shakes to get my protein count up. It's very easy for me to drink, it's low calorie (175 calories) and high protein (29 grams). I guess this is all a learning process.

Sleeved December 5th.

Had a leak, but in track with my weight loss. Down 64 pounds. Still on liquids only and I hope to transition to puréed foods soon!!

I haven't seen you here in a while! What happened with your leak? What is sudden? I'm so glad you're ok!

DanaInNewORleans - I find it hard to eat any Protein, too. I mean, I do it, but it is unpleasant. Maybe you saw that I posted about throwing up yesterday (for the first time since surgery - did not throw up at all before this) on edamame. I had eaten it before and in the same quantity, but it just didn't sit right and I was so sick. My stomach wasn't satisfied until all of it was purged. I do find that shrimp and fish are easier to tolerate than even soft eggs. But, Protein Shakes still are a must if I want to hit 60-70 g of protein a day. I can't fathom eating more protein than that with all the timing restrictions re: drinking Water, etc. I have little kids, so I will confess, I sometimes eat some dry cheerios or gold fish. Not a significant amount, but I agree that they go down a lot easier than the protein, which I also agree, is NOT good.

re: Weight Watchers - the overall approach is good for a person who has 30 lbs to lose and/or someone who eats like crap (period). However, I think a lot of the processed foods that they glorify are dangerous (low calorie, high fiber). Also, I think I stretched my stomach out to a bigger size by eating HUGE, HUGE salads all the time. Then, if I didn't eat salad, I still had the same big stomach wanting to be filled. In any case, I am a believer in less-processed food. Do you know that they feed MSG to lab rats to make them artificially fatter??

One or two bites of dense Protein and I am miserable. Right now I'm sitting here eating lunch - 1.7 oz of sliced roasted chicken breast -- and I feel like I ate a 2 lb ribeye. It is no longer l pleasant to eat meat and I don't look forward to it. Last night I had Special K and low carb milk for dinner because I just could not bring myself to eat something dense. Sometimes I just eat soft scrambled eggs because it's easier. The other day I ate a biscuit (which was heaven ) and it went down so easily. Apparently I do not have the same issues with bread as some sleevers (which is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned).

You're not alone. I did Atkins too about 15 years ago and lost 90lbs over 9 months and was slim... that lasted all of about a year then I was gaining back. I was a dumb teenager and didnt think and put it all back on plus some.

I also get tired of just eating meat... So today I went to subway and got a 6" oven roasted chicken breast with NO cheese and mustard - it's only 350 cals.. and will take me a few hours to eat lol. Bread doesn't affect me negatively either...

I also couldnt stomach the pre-op liquid diet and would eat subway once or twice a day and ran about 1200-1400 cals a day... I lost 6lbs in that week before surgery so I don't think the carbs will impact me in that way. Only 14g are sugar. This is also getting in protein with the chicken which is good too...

So trust me.. I can totally relate lol.

I'm apologize about explaining about ketosis. It was that it's been my experience that many people are confused and think you mean ketoacidosis, which they know is dangerous.

I'm a believer in Atkins because 13 years ago, for the first time in my life, I was able to lose 160lbs following the Atkins philosophy. ( I was still overweight but a size 16 and I was pretty happy). It was the right fit for me because I am definitely a meat eater. I managed to keep the weight off for a long time because I continued following a low carb lifestyle. About 5 or 6 years ago I started slowly gaining -- about 10 pounds a year -- and I just could not lose it. (I've still managed to keep the other 100 lbs off). I thought maybe my body had adjusted to low carb and maybe I should try Weight Watchers, which I did, and GAINED weight on 1200 calories a day. I really believe that I fall into the category of people that carbs must be kept as low as possible in order to lose and maintain. I realize it's not for everyone -- some people can do fine with carbs. Unfortunately I am not one of them.

I totally agree with you about the inconsistencies with post-sleeve diets. It's crazy. The only thing they do seem to have in common is that it is a high protein/low carb diet. My plan does not state specific calories, which I find completely annoying. My issue over the last few weeks (since I began solid food) is that carbs are so much easier to eat with the sleeve. One or two bites of dense Protein and I am miserable. Right now I'm sitting here eating lunch - 1.7 oz of sliced roasted chicken breast -- and I feel like I ate a 2 lb ribeye. It is no longer l pleasant to eat meat and I don't look forward to it. Last night I had Special K and low carb milk for dinner because I just could not bring myself to eat something dense. Sometimes I just eat soft scrambled eggs because it's easier. The other day I ate a biscuit (which was heaven ) and it went down so easily. Apparently I do not have the same issues with bread as some sleevers (which is not a good thing as far as I'm concerned). I also still rely on my Protein Shakes to get my protein count up. It's very easy for me to drink, it's low calorie (175 calories) and high protein (29 grams). I guess this is all a learning process.

Yes I am one of the people that has to stay away from carbs, they just stick to me and I gain easily and I think I am possibly wheat and grain intollerant because when I would eat it my stomach would blow up and be distended and uncomfortable. Even just a little rice. People are different for sure. I was kind of surprised that the surgeon suggested ketosis for some people but buring fat rather than the carbs is how I want my body to work to get this fat off. If the body is going to use the carbs instead because it is easy on it I think my body would just stay the same fat wise. I did medifast before and lost over a hundred lbs, it puts you in a light ketosis. My main concern right now is to lose the significant amount I need to lose now while in the honeymoon period after surgery, if I don't lose the bulk of my weight in these early times after it slows down after a year I may not be able to reach my goal. when at goal I can add some more carbs back in for maintenance and health. I am constantly learning and choosing my path every day.

You're not alone. I did Atkins too about 15 years ago and lost 90lbs over 9 months and was slim... that lasted all of about a year then I was gaining back. I was a dumb teenager and didnt think and put it all back on plus some.

I also get tired of just eating meat... So today I went to subway and got a 6" oven roasted chicken breast with NO cheese and mustard - it's only 350 cals.. and will take me a few hours to eat lol. bread doesn't affect me negatively either...

I also couldnt stomach the pre-op liquid diet and would eat subway once or twice a day and ran about 1200-1400 cals a day... I lost 6lbs in that week before surgery so I don't think the carbs will impact me in that way. Only 14g are sugar. This is also getting in Protein with the chicken which is good too...

So trust me.. I can totally relate lol.

You know what I am beginning to realize? Everyone is going to have to find their own way on this journey. If eating Subway works for you, the eat Subway! If eating a biscuit with tablespoon of chicken salad (with real mayo) works me for than I'm going to do it. If I still have to get in a Protein Shake to get my required protein because I just cannot stomach eating another piece of chicken that I've got to chew, chew, chew and it still feels like a brick in my stomach, well so be it! And if that means I lose a little slower well, ok, so I lose slowly.

I do believe that we've got to keep our protein up so I will do whatever it takes to make sure of that, but as long as I keep calories say around 800 (and my protein around 70grams) I am going to eat whatever works for me.

I remember way back when I joined this site in August I kept reading about people of just couldn't get in enough calories and they felt weak and their weight loss had slowed down. So I posted a response saying, well, how about trying to get more calories in by say, adding real mayo to chicken salad. Or eat a couple of tablespoons of ice cream. Anything to keep your calories up. Well, I was attacked! People posting that I needed to reevaluate whether I should do the surgery, questioning my commitment to this way of life, etc. I was shocked. But everyone must find the way that works for them...

Yay for Subway (for you) and yay for REAL mayo (for me)! I somehow feel like a subversive saying that! LOL

People are stupid sometimes. If you stay in starvation mode gues what... that's what'll happen. You'll start starving and your body will shut down to preserve itself. If you bump your calories for a few days you'll lose again. I see nothing wrong with eating 1000-1200 calories a day. Guess what - if we could have limited ourselves to 1200 calories a day BEFORE surgery WE WOULD HAVE LOST A TON OF WEIGHT!!! There's no rule that says just because our stomachs are smaller we have to stay at 800 calories or less a day... that's why they don't really GIVE you a calorie limit. You need calories or else your metabolism will move at a snail's pace. I'm trying to keep from shutting my metabolism down completely. That's just me though :)

People are stupid sometimes. If you stay in starvation mode gues what... that's what'll happen. You'll start starving and your body will shut down to preserve itself. If you bump your calories for a few days you'll lose again. I see nothing wrong with eating 1000-1200 calories a day. Guess what - if we could have limited ourselves to 1200 calories a day BEFORE surgery WE WOULD HAVE LOST A TON OF WEIGHT!!! There's no rule that says just because our stomachs are smaller we have to stay at 800 calories or less a day... that's why they don't really GIVE you a calorie limit. You need calories or else your metabolism will move at a snail's pace. I'm trying to keep from shutting my metabolism down completely. That's just me though :)

Amen!!! I could never sustain long term on 1200 calories before surgery, but I'm finding that between 7-900 post op is my happy place (for now)

And Dana definitely agree with you on the do what works for you thing! We are all made up so differently and what I have seen on this board doesn't necessarily work for me just as what I do isn't always going to work for someone else...

Sent from my iPhone using VST