Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New guy here, you've GOT to read this!

Thanks for sharing your story. I was never afraid of having surgery, so none of the stories scared me. I guess that's what having four C-Sections (3 in the last 5 Years) does to you! My experience has been good. I am learning what I can tolerate, and I healed quickly. My only complaint is that sometimes it feels like a job. Trying to get in all the fluids and Protein in a day. It consumes me! I am bored to death of the foods I can eat, so I rely on shakes mostly. I feel happier than ever, and my diabetes is under control. Best decision I ever made for myself!

OMG!!!! Amazing... You have no idea how much your story means to me, I'm touched and so happy for you... Thank You so much for sharing

WTF....the OP mentioned her specifically in the very first post so how does it have nothing to do with her? Then when she did post she cracked a joke and then said she hopes every one has a good recovery...where was the negativity? I don't think every word that comes out of Iggy's mouth is golden' date=' but honestly the Iggy haters have got some blood red colored glasses on.[/quote']

IGGY FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!!!

Thanks Frank! After your post I reconsidered and went to the surgeon today. My knees were knocking from anxiety. He spent almost 2 hours with me. I scheduled surgery for Feb even though he was willing to do me ASAP to quell my anxiety. I couldn't have done it without your post!

frank good job I had mine on 12-7-12 and throw up all the time haha but i do feel good keep in touch

kenny

I have really been going back and forth as whether to post here or not. I guess I am sort of a "forum person" in my hobbies and areas of interest' date=' but I have to be honest, I have avoided posting on this site or even looking at it for a couple of reasons. I found this site only a few days before my surgery but when I found it I found more negativity and frightened people then I found inspiration. Actually, I have gone here and gotten the (bleep) scared out of me by a few posters, every time I see their posts I get knots in my stomach. The main poster that does that to me has a screen name that starts with the letter "i". Everybody is terrified of leaks and all the negatives of this surgery and I just haven't been able to relate to many of the topics. Below I will share some of the basics of my journey so far. [/background']

First off, I am a 35 year old male who is 6 feet 3 inches tall. I wasn't fat my whole life, I actually weighed 218 when I was 19 years old. That was pretty close to a "perfect" weight for me. I got into a business where the guys I worked with partied, ate, and drank to excess. Over the years I ballooned to 445 lbs which is where I have been for the past 2-3 years. In 2010 I was considering the lap band but chickened out. I was back on in 2011 but chickened out again. In 2012 I HAD to make a decision because I was put on Metformin for borderline diabetes and Lisinopril for borderline blood pressure as well. That was it. I started again with the nutritionist appointments and made an appt. to see my surgeon who is located downtown Chicago a few miles from my house. My first appt. with him was in early October 2012 and he suggested a VSG instead of the lap band because of the large amount of weight I wanted to lose. I left thinking about it and did the rest of my pre op requirements such as upper GI, psyche, EKG, etc. I saw my surgeon again on November 14th, 2012 and we decided on the VSG (which I really didn't know a lot about). We set surgery for December 21st, 2012.

Because I am a big fella, my surgeon put me on a 28 day pre op liquid only diet (to shrink my liver and loosen my skin) which I started on November 23rd, 2012 (the day after Thanksgiving). The first few days were tough but I have very strong will power and stuck to it, following the requirements to the letter. I didn't cheat even once. Again, not even once. After about 12 days it was smooth sailing and I just plugged away and kept up the exercise plan that I had been doing for over a year which was just walking 1.5 miles, three times per week at my local YMCA. I didn't weigh myself even once the entire plan and weighed myself the morning of surgery. To my astonishment I lost a staggering 49 lbs!!!!I I couldn't even believe it, to be honest with you I began to sob like a little girl! I went from 445 to 396. I was just so shocked. My surgeon told me that I broke his practice record which was previously 45 lbs for a pre op diet. Again, I LOST 49 LBS IN 28 DAYS!!!

On the morning of December 21st, 2012 I was ready for surgery at a major hospital downtown Chicago. I arrived, valet parked, checked in, and was laying on the table prepped for surgery within 1 hour just waiting for the anesthesiologist. I was in surgery about an hour and a half later and the surgery took 2 1/2 hours. I am going to cut the details of my hospital stay down so readers aren't sitting here all day reading. Any questions just ask me. I wanted to leave the hospital the next evening but my surgeon said that he wouldn't allow me to break two records and that I should stay another night. Quick recap, I was checked into my room after surgery at 6pm Friday night and was discharged from the hospital at 11am Sunday morning, less then 48 hours after entering my room.

Upon arriving home I checked my weight, expecting to have lost a few lbs, and actually gained back 2 lbs due to all the fluids that were pumped into me. I was back up to 398. My recovery went ok I think, I was in a lot of pain along my largest incision which is about 3+ inches wide. I was on Tramadol which sucks. It took me 9 days to finish the 25 pills that I was prescribed since I was skipping doses. I was home on Sunday morning and by Wednesday morning I was off to the YMCA where I walked only one lap around the track. I limped around and talked to my friends there before going home. I was back at the YMCA on Friday and actually walked 5 laps (a half mile). I finally weighed myself on Friday, one week after surgery, and I was down from 398 to 391. I weighed myself again on Sunday afternoon and I lost another 4 lbs from Friday to Sunday, 9 lbs in 9 days, ending up at 387 lbs, 58 lbs down in 38 days.

So that's basically that. It's been over 10 days now since surgery and I am feeling like a million bucks. Here are the "scary" parts. I am using the term scary because after reading this site I would have thought I was going to die from this surgery. I HAVE NOT been nauseous even for one second since surgery. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT thrown up, or even gagged for that matter, not even once. I AM ABLE to drink 60ozs of Fluid per day. I just started puree on Saturday, 8 days out, and it's been perfect. I had 4 ozs of low fat cottage cheese (which I LOVE) today as well as only one Protein Shake, a bowl of Tomato Soup, and plenty of Water. I AM NOT hungry, EVER. I just eat to live, that's it. Today I feel the best that I have felt since surgery. Every day gets better. My goal is to lose 220 lbs, 100 in three months from the start of my pre op diet on November 23rd. I WILL do it.

I know I left out a bunch so fire away (or ask any questions that you want).

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you!!! I have been reading forum topics for the last two hours ( newbie). They have me frightened. But your story is breath taking and uplifting. I start two week pre op diet tomorrow. Surgery on 18 th. I can't wait to start my life over again.

I have really been going back and forth as whether to post here or not. I guess I am sort of a "forum person" in my hobbies and areas of interest' date=' but I have to be honest, I have avoided posting on this site or even looking at it for a couple of reasons. I found this site only a few days before my surgery but when I found it I found more negativity and frightened people then I found inspiration. Actually, I have gone here and gotten the (bleep) scared out of me by a few posters, every time I see their posts I get knots in my stomach. The main poster that does that to me has a screen name that starts with the letter "i". Everybody is terrified of leaks and all the negatives of this surgery and I just haven't been able to relate to many of the topics. Below I will share some of the basics of my journey so far. [/background']

First off, I am a 35 year old male who is 6 feet 3 inches tall. I wasn't fat my whole life, I actually weighed 218 when I was 19 years old. That was pretty close to a "perfect" weight for me. I got into a business where the guys I worked with partied, ate, and drank to excess. Over the years I ballooned to 445 lbs which is where I have been for the past 2-3 years. In 2010 I was considering the lap band but chickened out. I was back on in 2011 but chickened out again. In 2012 I HAD to make a decision because I was put on Metformin for borderline diabetes and Lisinopril for borderline blood pressure as well. That was it. I started again with the nutritionist appointments and made an appt. to see my surgeon who is located downtown Chicago a few miles from my house. My first appt. with him was in early October 2012 and he suggested a VSG instead of the lap band because of the large amount of weight I wanted to lose. I left thinking about it and did the rest of my pre op requirements such as upper GI, psyche, EKG, etc. I saw my surgeon again on November 14th, 2012 and we decided on the VSG (which I really didn't know a lot about). We set surgery for December 21st, 2012.

Because I am a big fella, my surgeon put me on a 28 day pre op liquid only diet (to shrink my liver and loosen my skin) which I started on November 23rd, 2012 (the day after Thanksgiving). The first few days were tough but I have very strong will power and stuck to it, following the requirements to the letter. I didn't cheat even once. Again, not even once. After about 12 days it was smooth sailing and I just plugged away and kept up the exercise plan that I had been doing for over a year which was just walking 1.5 miles, three times per week at my local YMCA. I didn't weigh myself even once the entire plan and weighed myself the morning of surgery. To my astonishment I lost a staggering 49 lbs!!!!I I couldn't even believe it, to be honest with you I began to sob like a little girl! I went from 445 to 396. I was just so shocked. My surgeon told me that I broke his practice record which was previously 45 lbs for a pre op diet. Again, I LOST 49 LBS IN 28 DAYS!!!

On the morning of December 21st, 2012 I was ready for surgery at a major hospital downtown Chicago. I arrived, valet parked, checked in, and was laying on the table prepped for surgery within 1 hour just waiting for the anesthesiologist. I was in surgery about an hour and a half later and the surgery took 2 1/2 hours. I am going to cut the details of my hospital stay down so readers aren't sitting here all day reading. Any questions just ask me. I wanted to leave the hospital the next evening but my surgeon said that he wouldn't allow me to break two records and that I should stay another night. Quick recap, I was checked into my room after surgery at 6pm Friday night and was discharged from the hospital at 11am Sunday morning, less then 48 hours after entering my room.

Upon arriving home I checked my weight, expecting to have lost a few lbs, and actually gained back 2 lbs due to all the fluids that were pumped into me. I was back up to 398. My recovery went ok I think, I was in a lot of pain along my largest incision which is about 3+ inches wide. I was on Tramadol which sucks. It took me 9 days to finish the 25 pills that I was prescribed since I was skipping doses. I was home on Sunday morning and by Wednesday morning I was off to the YMCA where I walked only one lap around the track. I limped around and talked to my friends there before going home. I was back at the YMCA on Friday and actually walked 5 laps (a half mile). I finally weighed myself on Friday, one week after surgery, and I was down from 398 to 391. I weighed myself again on Sunday afternoon and I lost another 4 lbs from Friday to Sunday, 9 lbs in 9 days, ending up at 387 lbs, 58 lbs down in 38 days.

So that's basically that. It's been over 10 days now since surgery and I am feeling like a million bucks. Here are the "scary" parts. I am using the term scary because after reading this site I would have thought I was going to die from this surgery. I HAVE NOT been nauseous even for one second since surgery. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NOT thrown up, or even gagged for that matter, not even once. I AM ABLE to drink 60ozs of Fluid per day. I just started puree on Saturday, 8 days out, and it's been perfect. I had 4 ozs of low fat cottage cheese (which I LOVE) today as well as only one Protein Shake, a bowl of Tomato Soup, and plenty of Water. I AM NOT hungry, EVER. I just eat to live, that's it. Today I feel the best that I have felt since surgery. Every day gets better. My goal is to lose 220 lbs, 100 in three months from the start of my pre op diet on November 23rd. I WILL do it.

That's awesome I am barley a week out and I don't feel as great at some other people on here idk if its because its my first surgery or what but I'm wish I can't wait till I feel a million bucks and don't regret what I hve done but congrats hopefully I can feel the same one day

That's awesome I am barley a week out and I don't feel as great at some other people on here idk if its because its my first surgery or what but I'm wish I can't wait till I feel a million bucks and don't regret what I hve done but congrats hopefully I can feel the same one day

Don't let it get you down. We all respond to surgery different. Just "listen" to your body and if something seems off then get to the doc ASAP. Otherwise, slow and steady... Happy healthy recovery.

Amanda Rae

I just posted facts on my recovery lol. If things hurt i said they hurt but i was never once nauseated - the closest thing was the painful burps and hiccups while i was in the hospital but the hiccups were caused by the drain and burps were just part of the gas working its way out. Otherwise its been great since ive been home. Now granted i probably looked like a sad homeless person in best buy yesterday with blue flannel pajama pants, bright mismatched "Dr. Seuss" looking socks covered up by blue crocs and a big burgundy tshirt on lol.

I just posted facts on my recovery lol. If things hurt i said they hurt but i was never once nauseated - the closest thing was the painful burps and hiccups while i was in the hospital but the hiccups were caused by the drain and burps were just part of the gas working its way out. Otherwise its been great since ive been home. Now granted i probably looked like a sad homeless person in best buy yesterday with blue flannel pajama pants, bright mismatched "Dr. Seuss" looking socks covered up by blue crocs and a big burgundy tshirt on lol.

Pictures please LOL. I lived in sweats and yoga pants that were already getting too big for the first week or so. Occasionally my big incision by my navel would leak and bleed all over my shirt until butterfly bandages and gauze became my friends.

I looked an absolute sight. I was happy though!

Congrats! Things seem to be going great for you! I do have to say that having been on the forums for over 2 years, things have gotten a little negative some places. There were people with some really difficult recoveries on this site then, but they were always sooo positive and inspirational. It was almost like there was no down side to the surgery! I think people have to say what they say... and if they are having a rotten time, then say it if they want to! But its important to keep in perspective that this obesity thing will kill you early and make your life hell... and that is part of the calculated risk of NOT getting this surgery too. At two years I LOVE my sleeve, I have problems with keeping some of the weight off that I lost, but everything else is great, and I am so glad I got it!

THANK YOU! I'm trying to make sure I look at all avenues of this procedure before I have it done...and yours is quite inspiring. Keep up the great work :)