Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Importance of Vitamin Supplementation!

Hi Everyone

Happy New Year to you all, especially my sleeved and soon to be sleeved Aussies!! Do you remember all the years one of your resolutions was to go on yet another diet - all the ads on tv etc promising happy ever after if you drink this, take that, do this? I am completely over the moon with my sleeve and my new burgeoning sleek shape although it hasn't been easy at all.

Anyhoo, my resolution for 2013 is to be very strict on my Vitamin supplementation and intake of nutrient dense food! Because I had so much trouble with nausea for months after having my surgery including lactose intolerance I found it very difficult to tolerate Vitamins and minerals. I tried liquids, chewables, tablets etc everything. So for the last 4-5 months I haven't been supplementing at all and have become anaemic. You may have read my post about feeling like a ghost for the last month. So I finally found out why I have been feeling so bad. If you are exercising you need to be hyper vigilant with this because that can reduce your Iron stores as well. I am going to have to start eating red meat and lots of green leafy vegies and cut out rice, Pasta etc in my food so I get the nutrient dense stuff in as a priority.

All of this has been a steep learning curve for me and I do feel a bit stupid for my complacency - anyway onwards and upwards, today is the start of a brand new year full of limitless possibilities!!

Oh my gosh! I am pre-sleeve so I am ssssooo happy that if is happened to me, glad it happened to me before I was sleeved. A few months ago, I felt like I was walking around in a fog. Tired, trouble concentrating, sleeping all the time, etc.

This went on for a couple of months. This sounds like a long time, and it is, but it was such a gradual change that I almost didn't notice it, with the exception that I just couldn't function. I made an appointment and it took 4 appointments with 4 different doctors and he finally figured out what was wrong with me. Not enough Iron. It took a couple of weeks before I felt better.

I completely understand how you "feel." Keep taking this supplements!

Happy new year!!

I know what you mean about appointments to the doctor!! I have had so many tests, blood tests, urine, faeces, renal ultrasound, pelvic ultrasound, abdominal ultrasound. Please be wary that most GPs may not know the specific needs of someone who has had a sleeve. If my surgeon hadn't been away I would have gone straight to him to sort this out. Anyway, off to have a fist full of Vitamins and a steak(or a piece of one)!

Hey cookie,

I am terrible with my multi Vitamins... The Swisse ones my dietician recommended are so big and foul-smelling I can't get them down. I was tempted to take the kids chewable ones because I thought something was better than nothing.

Has anyone found any multi-vitamins that are ok smelling?

Another update - my problems with Vitamin supplementation stem from the tablets making me feel sick even taken after food. Any how, I finally got to see my surgeon on Monday for a routine review, yet another blood test and I think the final answer is that I am B12 deficient and he has recommended a course of B12 injections!!! I can't tell you how relieved I am after funding the medical fraternity over the last month or so. I am booked in with my GP on Friday morning to get that sorted. I hope there is not going to be any hassle, but I will be telling her that my surgeon Justin Greenslade has asked for me to have them. This has been such an ordeal for me. I have used all my sick leave, holiday leave, lunch breaks etc, I kept asking my GP the question, do you think it's my B12....? If am going to try and get in sooner if I can because honestly I have been feeling like I have dementia and that's only one of the symptoms I have been having. Ok, so I have had my whinge, watch your B12 levels kids cause when they do the surgery they remove the curved part of our stomach that makes intrinsic factor and this is apparently responsible for B12.

My Gp has just put me on a 6 week course of B12 shots to help me recover from glandular fever. I'm really tired all the time, my legs and hips ache, I'm covered in bruises and my gums and nose bleed profusely. Some mornings I wake up and check my neck to make sure my throat hasn't been cut in the night, my pillow has that much blood on it. I have had the same plight as you, now finally going on b12 injections will hopefully help both of us. I have my 2nd one tomorrow. Good luck on Friday.

My Gp has just put me on a 6 week course of B12 shots to help me recover from glandular fever. I'm really tired all the time' date=' my legs and hips ache, I'm covered in bruises and my gums and nose bleed profusely. Some mornings I wake up and check my neck to make sure my throat hasn't been cut in the night, my pillow has that much blood on it. I have had the same plight as you, now finally going on b12 injections will hopefully help both of us. I have my 2nd one tomorrow. Good luck on Friday.[/quote']

That does not sound delightful! I hope this works out for you!

My Gp has just put me on a 6 week course of B12 shots to help me recover from glandular fever. I'm really tired all the time' date=' my legs and hips ache, I'm covered in bruises and my gums and nose bleed profusely. Some mornings I wake up and check my neck to make sure my throat hasn't been cut in the night, my pillow has that much blood on it. I have had the same plight as you, now finally going on b12 injections will hopefully help both of us. I have my 2nd one tomorrow. Good luck on Friday.[/quote']

That's really interesting, because my nose has begun to bleed the last couple of days. Not much, but still unusual. I might need to get some bloods done now