Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I have to do the 6 month diet. I have UHC thru Chase Bank. January 19 will be my 4th weigh in. I know I dont have that far to go but it just seems long. All i think about lately is getting sleeved. Thats all I talk about. i was actually going to go to Mexico to have it done in February and not even wait on my insurance company, then I snapped out of that option 1week later.. i guess what makes my 6 month diet so hard is that I cant lose weight during it. I have a BMI of 42.2. my Advocate said if I go below 40 I will be denied. I know I can go below 40 if I work out and eat right. My problem is that I always gain it back--- I typically stay around a BMI of 39.9. So i just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who is doing the 6 month diet and you are in the same place I am in.. I just feel alone.. lol

Hey lady...with your insurance can you have a bmi with 35+ and at least 2 obesity-related co-morbid condition? If that is so, do you have diabetes or high blood pressure, sleep apnea...etc? If so you may still be able to be approved. The dietary part is stressful alone and then thinking about the approval process can be a bit much too. Keep faith, hopefully everything will work out for you. Try talking to your insurance as well to see exactly what there requirements are and see if you have an individual who will be working on your case solely. I have bluecross and sheld and I had an individual I worked with through the whole process to get to surgery. Maybe if you gained some type of communication with your insurance it can help with your approval process. I hope you feel better hun!

Hello Everyone' date='

I have to do the 6 month diet. I have UHC thru Chase Bank. January 19 will be my 4th weigh in. I know I dont have that far to go but it just seems long. All i think about lately is getting sleeved. Thats all I talk about. i was actually going to go to Mexico to have it done in February and not even wait on my insurance company, then I snapped out of that option 1week later.. i guess what makes my 6 month diet so hard is that I cant lose weight during it. I have a BMI of 42.2. my Advocate said if I go below 40 I will be denied. I know I can go below 40 if I work out and eat right. My problem is that I always gain it back--- I typically stay around a BMI of 39.9. So i just wanted to know if there was anyone else out there who is doing the 6 month diet and you are in the same place I am in.. I just feel alone.. lol[/quote']

My Bmi was about the same as yours and I lose weight doing the 6 months I was approved paper sent on the 26 the got it in the 27 approved on the 28 some insurance companies want to see if your serious if you lose your advocate can argue the fact that you can lose but can't keep it off ..the 6 month diet allowed be to change some bad habits like I haven't drunk soda in 10 months

Oh the only health issue I have us high blood pressure and I'm some what boarder line I loss 20 pounds on 6 month diet

You are not alone. I just finished my 6 month diet and only lost 7 pounds!

I thought the insurance takes your original weigh in before the 6 month diet?

Insurance companies and their hoops just so they don't have to pay.

Burns me up!

I'm post op now but, i was right where you were. I talked about getting sleeved 24/7 and it was the only thing on my mind. I had to do 6 months. Trust me you aren't the only one. Stick it out. It will be worth it. :) I even gained like 10 lbs on my 6 months. I was a 42 BMI.

You are not alone..this is all I think about. I started this journey in August and have 2 more weigh ins. I have stalked this forum for several months before joining. I am so addicted to it, I am constantly reading post during my lunch and when I'm name I am always on my iPad. My husband is very supportive but I bet he will glad when it's over so I will pay him a little attention...lol. Best of luck to you.

I'm in a similar boat, my bmi hovers between 42 and 43, after doing the math, I can lose about 25 pounds and stay at 40...which is instant approval vs. the 35 bmi with co-morbidities. I feel either way I'll be ok as I have PCOS, insulin resistance, hypothyroid and sleep apnea that is treated (though not fully controlled) with a machine when I sleep. The way my insurance works, I'll be weighed at the beginning and end of the 12 week program. I hope to lose 20 pounds or so during that time. Then you are weighed at just the beginning of the 6 week bariatric surgery part of the program...the plan I'm on requires 4 weeks liquid only diet prior to surgery so I imagine I'll drop a bunch pre-op.

Hi there

You are not alone at all!

My BMI is 42.8 , and I am in a 6months program too.

We have similarities. That same week in Jan I will have my 5th weigh in.

I think about getting my sleeve done day and night.

I ve lost 8lbs . Which I too had concerns about going under a BMI of 40 with only few co morbidities.

But the six months are proving to be good for me. Its helping changing my old habits.

I actually feel better when I'm eating right too.

I'm now 3 quarters way through. Sounds like you are too.

Keep your head up!

Better health 2013 here we come!

Happy New year!

Hey there! I work for JP Morgan and have UHC also, and had to do the same requirements. I too was concerned about loosing "too" much weight. What I did was focus on the diet part, but didn't worry about working out. It worked well for me because I learned that I really enjoyed the taste of healthier food more, and I found that my portion sizes went down a lot. I can sympathize with you on the 6 month feeling like forever though, because it did!! I made it so that I consistantly lost 2-3 lbs a month, but I still ate what I wanted during the 6 months. I will tell you that UHC approved my surgery less than 3 weeks after everything was submitted, and I was able to get my surgery less than 2 weeks after approval. I was sleeved on xmas eve, and I'm now 5 days out and 13lbs lighter. Keep your head up, 6 months is nothing compared to the years of being heavy. You're gorgeous now, so just keep imagining how amazing you are going to look once you succeed. Where are you located by the way? Ohio by any chance??

Hey there! I work for JP Morgan and have UHC also, and had to do the same requirements. I too was concerned about loosing "too" much weight. What I did was focus on the diet part, but didn't worry about working out. It worked well for me because I learned that I really enjoyed the taste of healthier food more, and I found that my portion sizes went down a lot. I can sympathize with you on the 6 month feeling like forever though, because it did!! I made it so that I consistantly lost 2-3 lbs a month, but I still ate what I wanted during the 6 months. I will tell you that UHC approved my surgery less than 3 weeks after everything was submitted, and I was able to get my surgery less than 2 weeks after approval. I was sleeved on xmas eve, and I'm now 5 days out and 13lbs lighter. Keep your head up, 6 months is nothing compared to the years of being heavy. You're gorgeous now, so just keep imagining how amazing you are going to look once you succeed. Where are you located by the way? Ohio by any chance??

Congrats

Yes, I am Ohio!!! :) Im gonna send u a message. Thanks for your insight. I believe I am going to focus on the diet like you have. Good point. If you dont mind I have a few questions for you.

OK-- EVERYONE!!!!! Thank you so much for responding, This has really lifted my spirits. I appreciate you taking time to encourage me and share your stores, I am NOT alone I see. :) Please lets stay in touch. Im gonna befriend you all if you don't mind. I am new here and I could use some support. Well to all those who are sleeved after the long wait congrats.. To those still waiting for our time---- it is coming. Im also glad to know I am not the only person who dreams about it. lol.. Its nice to have support from family and friends. Glad most of us are getting that :)

I thought the insurance takes your original weigh in before the 6 month diet?

Insurance companies and their hoops just so they don't have to pay.

Burns me up!

My advocate said that they will deny me if I go under 40. I called UHC they said thats not true however; since I keep getting conflicting answers then Im gonna make sure I dont.. better to be safe Burns me up too!!!