Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

MiDoctor Hospital (any surgeon!) 2013 Roll Call!

Dr Garcia Feb 26. Arriving Feb 25. r4ac

Height: 5'1

CW: 232

GW: ??? about 140

BMI: 43.8

Dr Garcia Feb 26. Arriving Feb 25. r4ac

Height: 5'1

CW: 232

GW: ??? about 140

BMI: 43.8

See you there maybe :)

See you there maybe :)

We will definitely cross paths. I am going to be one day post op when you arrive. I'm getting nervous and excited at the same time. :)

dr ortiz was scheduled with lopez but dates were mixed up and he wont be there on jan 28th so going with ortiz thru a lighterme

Dr. Ortiz is great and very skilled. Best wishes to you!

Hey, everyone. Just had my VSG in Tijuana on December 20,2012. Not quite 2 weeks post-op. Doing great. Surgeon was Cabrera/Garcia and I was at the Doctor Mi hospital. Thought I would give you a few hints at making it a better place for you!

1. Bring your own Water. Lots of it! Our driver from the San Diego airport told us he would stop and have us buy some, but I guess forgot, so our coordinator sent us a few blocks over to this gas station/minimart where we picked up half a dozen bottles. (Watch the cars when crossing the street--like frogger, only you are the frog).

2. Bring someone with you at all possible. The emotional support is priceless, but it's also good to have someone run to get someone at night if you can't find the nurse (or Doc on call).

3. Bring earplugs. The first night we were there, at midnight the event house immediately next door serenaded us with ear-splitting Mexican fiesta music. Seriously, it's like a 120 piece Mexican cantina band was sitting bedside. It lasted til 3:00a.m. Mind you, we were offered a $150 discount to go to this hospital and I at that precise moment figured out why! Luckily our surgery was not until later that next morning, so it's not like I needed sleep or anything! At about 2a.m. I finally located the doc on call and he said "yes, they are out of control tonight". Later in my stay, after everyone I asked about it denied ever hearing this music, we were told that on occasion a late party was planned at the place and the music occurred OK, I can live with that...take the plugs just in case. It may have been an aberrant occasion, but better prepared, than not.

4. Bring Purell or other hand sanitizer and request the staff use it or wash their hands. Universal precautions were out the window at this hospital. What I realized is I researched the heck out of my doctor but neglected to research the staff. No handwashing was seen. No gloves were used to draw blood or start IV's. The nurse starting our IV's had a cold but wore no mask and would turn on occasion to sneeze into her armpit. YIKES!!!

5. Remember to request fluids when Clear liquids are OK. You take your own Water, but if you want Apple juice, broth or gatorade you have to ask and ask and ask. For our entire stay we received 1/2 small dixie cup of apple juice, 1/2 small dixie cup of gatorade and a styrofoam coffee cup of chicken broth. That was it. We finally gave up, resorted to water only then made it up at the hotel.

Anyway...like I said all is good. My sister developed a phlebitis above her IV site, but I had no complications at all and am 11 pounds down after 12 days. Good luck to everyone going down there!!!!

Ann

4. Bring Purell or other hand sanitizer and request the staff use it or wash their hands. Universal precautions were out the window at this hospital. What I realized is I researched the heck out of my doctor but neglected to research the staff. No handwashing was seen. No gloves were used to draw blood or start IV's. The nurse starting our IV's had a cold but wore no mask and would turn on occasion to sneeze into her armpit. YIKES!!!

-these are the healthcare professionals and I'm gonna have to remind them to wash their hands? This worries me. Thank you for sharing your experience with us. It really does help a lot :)

Jesser-I'm an RN so I watched with a critical eye when procedures were done. I'm not saying they didn't wash their hands, I just didn't see it and there is a sink in the bathroom. They went from me to my sister for procedures and didn't wash their hands, use gloves, or sanitizer between us. Maybe they thought since we were related? There appears to be no infectious ward and it is a small hospital (and VERY clean appearing throughout). In the surgical suite everyone was gowned and gloved and masked appropriately. Just watch the staff and ask them to wash their hands or use gloves if they haven't done so before your procedures. You'll be fine. Our experience was interesting, sometimes frustrating but mostly WORTH it!! Good luck to you.

Thank you for sharing! I am brining my mom/nurse and she will be on it!

Amanda Rae

We will definitely cross paths. I am going to be one day post op when you arrive. I'm getting nervous and excited at the same time. :)

Me freakin too buddy :)) Im STOKED!

I was sleeved by Dr Garcia on 10/25/2012.

Pre-op weight was 325.

Current weight is 263.

I also used Ready4Achange. You're in good hands.

I was sitting down today stuffing my face with cabbage and black eye peas thinking this will be my last year being able to eat this much in one setting. It's really getting real. I'm starting to have anxiety thinking about the pre op diet. Today I had an overwhelming mix of emotions. I'm scared, nervous, anxious, and excited all rolled into one.

I ate pork, sweet potatoes, cabbage, fried green Beans, cornbread, and a bunch of sodas plus Niemian Marcus chocolate chip Cookies and more soda...I didnt eat that much for Thanksgiving or Christmas! Its real now! Next month I will be sleeved...and will never be able to eat like I ate today....and I noticed, I was not hungry after a certain point, yet I ate and ate because it was there.... I am not scared to have this surgery..I just know I am going to utilize it to the fullest! #farewell holiday bingeing!