Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I be worried?

Hey there, after I share my scenario, it would be so helpful to have some feedback. Honestly, this site has been so helpful to me.

I was sleeved 12/21 and discharged home on Thursday dec 27 I spent every night except the last one in the ICU. They thought I had a Pulmonary Embolism and it turned out I had severe bleeding at incision line and pleural effusion. I was treated with 3 units of blood plus LASIx for the Fluid overload. I am still having pink urine and my pain is on the right side of abdomen. I am keeping my Clear liquids down and find the gas x fil tabs that dissolve right on Your tongue helpful,

I am really short of breath still. I do my incentive sprimomter exercise. My surgeon appt is scheduled for jan 3. I have my pcp appt on 12/31.i have read somewhere that sometimes Co2 gas becomes trapped and by taking milk of magnesia this somehow reverses the problem and the shortness of breath. I just got done with treating my uncontrolled bouts diarrhea with Imodium.

My loa from work had me going back to work on 12/31. That was adjusted to jan 7. I was also thinking of of taking this wonderful job opportunity. Well, I am worried I will need to take advantage of the vast amount (400 hours )available to me and just breath and focus on healing.my surgeon was extremely positive and kept reassuring me. Sorry for the ramble. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Last night I was wheezing so hard just from leaving the recliner to my upstairs bedroom.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. Moving around helps with the gas trapped in there but mostly you just have to wait it out I think. I would take the extra time off work if you can afford it. No need to rush back if you don't have to. I had a really easy recovery but I'm sure others will have better advise. Good luck to you.

So do you still have the pleural effusions? That could be what's causing the breathing issues. Do you still have diuretics prescribed? I would say that you need to take it really easy and take as much time off as possible. Once your poor wet lungs are resolved, you should feel much better. I am a soon-to-be Respiratory Therapist, so breathing issues like this really get my attention. Also, keep using your incentive spirometer. It can be a pain, but its very good for keeping further surgery complications from happening. Good luck!!!!

-Kendra

I know how you feel.

I say do all you can to get healthy now before taking the other job. Go back for your follow up like scheduled.

But call your Doctor With your concerns about how Short of Breath you get.

Now after spending time in ICU there is a time for recovery. If you work from home and or have a fairly physically easy job then you and the doctor decide that one. You seem to be in good spirits and that's so great.

You going to be running like a champion soon!

2013 is you Year!

Congrats!

None of us are qualified to make an Internet diagnosis. When in doubt call your surgeon or PCP and provide them with the information you posted. If neither are available they should have someone filling in for them or they will direct you to the nearest ER. This may sound harsh, but many time "medical opinions" from non qualified persons can be a big detriment, be smart and call your surgeon or physician.

Again,

I say call you physician with your concerns about the Shortness of breath. Your Surgeon or Pcp.

But don't just wait it out. Have them check it out.

Or go to the ER.

Good luck

Well here's my update 12 hours later. I tried a different strategy with pushing more fluids (water room temp for me). I also got in a warm mug of beef broth and two awesome mugs of chamomile tea. The warmth is very comforting to my tummy. Well guess what? The urine is not so pink!

I approached my activity differently as I live in a two story house. I spent the morning downstairs and walked /sat in chair then moved myself, pillows, phone beverages upstairs for nap time /sitting/ walking. I felt the bad abdominal distention release with increased walking. For the evening I am back downstairs. This routine is going very well but still have shortness of breath not overtly wheezing. When I speak my voice quality is fine and within minutes I am totally winded.

Well that's my update people. I appreciate hearing me vent and especially appreciate the point about not using this site for unsolicited medical advice. There is always what the text book says will occur and then there is reality. We are living it. Why I am having this problem and someone else is not? That just speaks to our individuality and need for close medical follow up for success.

Well tomorrow is another day and I have to hope that it will be better than today. When people are wanting to talk to me today I put a lot off because between the walking, incentive spirometer and pushing those fluids I was busy! Fighting for my new life!

Peace out!

I was sleeved on 12/17. I am also a nurse. Personally, I still feel short of breath when I go upstairs. Just going to take your body time to heal after all that trauma. Take it easy, ad don't rush yourself.

Keep fighting you are doing good. And update your Physicians too.

Rest well. Hope you feel better.

Blessings!

I, too, am a nurse. Had VGS May 8 2012, filled by 1 week stay in hospital 10 days after surgery with extensive blood clots in each leg, from abdomen to calves in both legs. If it weren't for having an IVC filter pre-surgically, I'd probably be dead. So, it took me two months to tolerate activity. When I walked 100 ft I'd drive my heart rate up to the 130s and become short of breath. My doctor sent me home with a walker and home physical therapy. The therapist would monitor my vital signs with activity and tell me when it was time to stop. With their help, I was able to go shopping again within 6 weeks and back to work in 2 months. I had to have special parking place and frequent rest periods...now, today I did 40 minutes of all out cardio workout and 30 minutes of weight training!!! I promise you it does get better!! Keep up the great positive attitude!!

My concern for u is real. Have you been tested for blood clots? One of the symtombs is shortness of breath, pls go get checked out. I had them and days later my lungs closed luckily o was already in hospital bein treated for clots pls check it out. Had I waited I would hve been dead

Hey there' date=' after I share my scenario, it would be so helpful to have some feedback. Honestly, this site has been so helpful to me.

I was sleeved 12/21 and discharged home on Thursday dec 27 I spent every night except the last one in the ICU. They thought I had a Pulmonary Embolism and it turned out I had severe bleeding at incision line and pleural effusion. I was treated with 3 units of blood plus LASIx for the Fluid overload. I am still having pink urine and my pain is on the right side of abdomen. I am keeping my Clear liquids down and find the gas x fil tabs that dissolve right on Your tongue helpful,

I am really short of breath still. I do my incentive sprimomter exercise. My surgeon appt is scheduled for jan 3. I have my pcp appt on 12/31.i have read somewhere that sometimes Co2 gas becomes trapped and by taking milk of magnesia this somehow reverses the problem and the shortness of breath. I just got done with treating my uncontrolled bouts diarrhea with Imodium.

My loa from work had me going back to work on 12/31. That was adjusted to jan 7. I was also thinking of of taking this wonderful job opportunity. Well, I am worried I will need to take advantage of the vast amount (400 hours )available to me and just breath and focus on healing.my surgeon was extremely positive and kept reassuring me. Sorry for the ramble. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Last night I was wheezing so hard just from leaving the recliner to my upstairs bedroom.

[/quote']

Did you have any high risk issues before surg, like high bld pressure ? What was your wt at surg?

I was done to 198 lbs preop on my scale. Upon discharge from hospital 12/27 I was 209 and this morning 12/30 202lbs

Well here's my update 12 hours later. I tried a different strategy with pushing more fluids (Water room temp for me). I also got in a warm mug of beef broth and two awesome mugs of chamomile tea. The warmth is very comforting to my tummy. Well guess what? The urine is not so pink!

I approached my activity differently as I live in a two story house. I spent the morning downstairs and walked /sat in chair then moved myself' date=' pillows, phone beverages upstairs for nap time /sitting/ walking. I felt the bad abdominal distention release with increased walking. For the evening I am back downstairs. This routine is going very well but still have shortness of breath not overtly wheezing. When I speak my voice quality is fine and within minutes I am totally winded.

Well that's my update people. I appreciate hearing me vent and especially appreciate the point about not using this site for unsolicited medical advice. There is always what the text book says will occur and then there is reality. We are living it. Why I am having this problem and someone else is not? That just speaks to our individuality and need for close medical follow up for success.

Well tomorrow is another day and I have to hope that it will be better than today. When people are wanting to talk to me today I put a lot off because between the walking, incentive spirometer and pushing those fluids I was busy! Fighting for my new life!

Peace out![/quote']

So glad to hear your update and that today was a better day! I cannot express how wonderful it is to read the post of both positive and not so positive

experiences. I feel better knowing its ok if it isn't all perfect- and it may not be. Everyone says call the doc and that is great advise! Keep up the great work and positive attitude- you have inspired me! Thank you & everyone who responded with advise and kindness. This is a wonderful resource. Happy journey to all!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I was done to 198 lbs preop on my scale. Upon discharge from hospital 12/27 I was 209 and this morning 12/30 202lbs

I'm scheduled for 1/16 so I may be way out of touch here, but with recent surgery I'm sure there is swelling and Fluid retention etc that is normal. Shortly as your body heals from the trauma I think you will start to see weight loss progress-

What does doc say? Keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using VST