Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone with hypothyroidism who has had this surgery?

I didn't have any co-morbidities, but even with medicine, my hypothroidism has always contributed to fatigue. I am finding that I am get tired so easily even though I am in my second week post-surgery. I took a nap today. 2 hours. Now maybe it is just the body needing to heal, but I keep reading about other people and their higher level of activity at this point.

Also, I was wondering if the hypothyroidism would continue to be a problem with weight loss. I have read about people on 600 calorie diets not losing weight and that is my fear.

I have hypothyroidism and had the surgery 6 months ago. I have far surpassed my surgeon's expections with losing 77 lbs. I am less than 20 lbs from my goal now. My thyroid levels were consistent until recently. I figured with all the energy I have now, my thyroid would be doing better. My endo just did a full panel and said he needs to raise my meds. My hair is starting to fall out and my feet are freezing! I heard Hair loss is common at this point and I live in NC so it all made sense to me LOL.

I have hypothyroidism and had the surgery 6 months ago. I have far surpassed my surgeon's expections with losing 77 lbs. I am less than 20 lbs from my goal now. My thyroid levels were consistent until recently. I figured with all the energy I have now' date=' my thyroid would be doing better. My endo just did a full panel and said he needs to raise my meds. My hair is starting to fall out and my feet are freezing! I heard Hair loss is common at this point and I live in NC so it all made sense to me LOL.[/quote']

I've had hypothyroidism for ten years plus and I have already had hair loss from that, so you can imagine my trepidation about losing MORE hair. The hair I lost because of my thyroid never came back, but I am really hoping that like most people with WLS hair loss, what I have will come back (after I lose it).

I am so glad that you are doing well post surgery. I need inspiration.

re: NC - Where in the state are you? We have family outside of Raleigh and we lived for 18 months in Charlotte.

I have hypothyroidism too, but my surgery isn't til January 30th. I'm hoping this surgery will improve my metabolism.

you will have to get it checked often, sometimes the meds get to strong as you loose wieight. i had that happen a few years ago, you get very spacey and feel like you are just going to collapes and you get very shakey, at least thats what happened to me

I am not sure the surgery is going to help my metabolism, but I am hoping that if I can get some pounds off, I will have more energy. My energy levels are so low given my age (42). Also, I found out only in the past year (after having it for 10 years) that I have Hashimoto's. It's an autoimmune thyroid disease. Most long-term hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's. In any case, I've been trying to give up gluten and when they removed my stomach, part of what they removed was irritated. I am thinking it was gluten damage.

My former endocrinologist did not think telling me I had Hashimoto's was significant because to him it was synonymous with hypothyroidism. However, my primary care physician said that in many auto-immune disorders, giving up gluten and possibly dairy and sugar improve the condition. I knew I would not be able to give up dairy, especially now. They say you can drink soy milk, but it's not as much Protein. Prior to surgery, when after many months of not eating gluten, I would have something (pasta, etc), I DID notice that it made me crampy and I was more prone to diarrhea. But, giving up gluten did not help with my energy and that has been the main thing bugging me.

I have hashimotos too and it is significant because tsh is not a full picture.

I have hashimotos too and it is significant because tsh is not a full picture.

What have you noticed about Hashimoto's? Any tips for dealing with it?

Lack of energy is a given. I don't think the meds are ever right so of course lack of metabolism = weight issues. I also see that other autoimmi

Sorry autoimmune issues seen to go together for me ive am hoping weight loss will help with the brain fog and tiredness but I do take a ton of B12 it helps some. All b12 supplements don't work the same for me B 12 2500 mcg from Walmart dissolved and b 12 10 000 mcg shots work best for me.

Symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease:

• Fatigue and sluggishness
  • Increased sensitivity to cold
  • Constipation
  • Pale, dry skin
  • A puffy face
  • Hoarse voice
  • An elevated blood cholesterol level
  • Unexplained weight gain — occurring infrequently and rarely exceeding 10 to 20 pounds, most of which is Fluid
  • Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in your shoulders and hips
  • Pain and stiffness in your joints and swelling in your knees or the small joints in your hands and feet
  • Muscle weakness, especially in your lower extremities
  • Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia)
  • Depression

Symptoms of Hashimoto's Disease:

[*]Fatigue and sluggishness

[*]Increased sensitivity to cold

[*]Constipation

[*]Pale' date=' dry skin

[*']A puffy face

[*]Hoarse voice

[*]An elevated blood cholesterol level

[*]Unexplained weight gain — occurring infrequently and rarely exceeding 10 to 20 pounds, most of which is Fluid

[*]Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness, especially in your shoulders and hips

[*]Pain and stiffness in your joints and swelling in your knees or the small joints in your hands and feet

[*]Muscle weakness, especially in your lower extremities

[*]Excessive or prolonged menstrual bleeding (menorrhagia)

[*]Depression

I guess most of the symptoms are the same as "hypothyroidism." I've been lucky. My cholesterol has never been high...even with the Hashimoto's/hypothyroidism. Besides fatigue, my other big problem is the sensitivity to cold. We do Natural Family Planning because we are Catholic (no criticism please) and I have to take my temperature every morning before I start moving around a lot. My basal temperature can go as low as the upper95s and usually is in the 96s. The charts they make to plot my temperarture start around 96.8, so half the time, my temperature doesn't even register on the chart. I don't know if being cold is related to my basic body temp or if it is poor circulation, but my feet (especially in winter) are always freezing.

my normal body temp is in the 96 s as well that's "my" normal. Also I noticed my pulse is very irregular it goes from 70 to 129 just as I sit in the docs office. The "normal"pulse for me is 90 if I don't feel well its closer to 120.

I have hypothyroidism and had the surgery on 12/17. I'm sleeping more than usual, and taking naps. It feels great to be able to do this. I think that your body heals best when you sleep, and that in the first few weeks, that is to be expected. I am hoping long term with weigh loss will come more energy. But, for now, I'm really enjoying the extra sleep. I wouldn't want it to continue, though. : )

Best of luck!

I have hypothyroidism and had the surgery on 12/17. I'm sleeping more than usual' date=' and taking naps. It feels great to be able to do this. I think that your body heals best when you sleep, and that in the first few weeks, that is to be expected. I am hoping long term with weigh loss will come more energy. But, for now, I'm really enjoying the extra sleep. I wouldn't want it to continue, though. : )

Best of luck![/quote']

I believe that sleep also helps in healing. I am just concerned that if my energy remains low (even with the correct dose of synthroid), it will be harder to exercise without needing naps. And, as a SAHM, I don't have time for naps when the household is going full throtle.