Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A few days ago woke up with a sore throat and it got worse through the day and the next day I had a headache and that all over achey feeling. I headed to Walgreens to find something to take. I know we are supposed to avoid NSAIDS like ibuprofen, aspirin, Aleve (naproxen). I spent a very long time going through all of the choices on the shelves, looking for something that might help with my symptoms. Eventually I gave up and went for an Alka-seltzer product that dissolved in Water. Yes, it did contain aspirin. So I mixed it up and let the fizz wear off and drank a dose. It was a nighttime version and knocked me out. I felt better so I took another dose when the instructions said to, even though this time it made me slightly nauseas to drink it. Again, I felt much better. Both times I also took a Prevacid to help with any stomach acid.

Later that night my stomach and intestines were letting me know that things were not all good. After a few hours of discomfort, I went to the bathroom and had a lot of very soft, solid black, tarry stool. Nothing that I had eaten could be attributed to that outcome and it wasn't Iron supplements since I take those daily and have not produced black tarry stool from iron. That meant that it was probably quite a bit of blood in my stomach. I ate very little the next day. Last night I poured a glass of red wine and took a sip. It felt like glass in my stomach. I'm going to guess that my stomach lining was raw and the alcohol scorched it.

I have read from other posters that you don't have problems with NSAIDs, but I wanted to share this with all of you during this cold and flu season. If anyone knows of a good alternative that targets sore throat, sinus pressure, headache, body aches, cough, etc., please share it.

As a Motrin junkie, I had a hard time giving it up pre-surgery, and I was wondering what I'll effects it "really" had. Thank you for posting a cautionary tale.

My doc said Tylenol Sinus was ok to take. I hope you feel better!

my doctor never said I could not take NSAIDS? I was under the impression that was only for Gastric Bypass (or maybe right after surgery?)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 2 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Having gall bladder surgery in a few days and I so hope the recovery is easier than the one from the modified DS! I could use a bit of luck/pep talk for a change. I'm starting to be able to walk around without experiencing dizziness, but it would be great if the random pain in my chest and abdomen would go away!!
      · 0 replies
    • Dawn 1974

4/4/2024 - new patient orientation. Wt 313
      4/5/2024 - got all my lab work done.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!