Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec. 17 Sleevers - How are you on week out?

TOM time of month???

Yes...Was a new expression to me until I started on this forum.

I went to my first live support group meeting. It was for all types of surgery (bypass, lapband...there was even one person with plication). When I mentioned that I belonged to an online group, they kind of dissed it. They said there is a lot of "bad" info on here. I don't think any info is bad. There is just a lot of conflicting info and maybe for some people (especially prior to surgery) it is better to just have the school of thought of their surgeon. I was the only one there who hadn't had a drain. I thought the drains were to detect leaks, but someone there said their surgeons used it to prevent infection (like plastic surgeons)...Any way, it was interesting. The NUT there said that Protein is not the be all - end all. She said the 60-79 g of protein is based on a man of a certain height and that I shouldn't worry about it as much as getting a balanced diet. She didn't say NOT to do what I was told only that the science wasn't there to support the rule that we get so much protein. (She has been a bariatric NUT for 25 years...) Any way, it was interesting.

I went to my first live support group meeting. It was for all types of surgery (bypass, lapband...there was even one person with plication). When I mentioned that I belonged to an online group, they kind of dissed it. They said there is a lot of "bad" info on here. I don't think any info is bad. There is just a lot of conflicting info and maybe for some people (especially prior to surgery) it is better to just have the school of thought of their surgeon. I was the only one there who hadn't had a drain. I thought the drains were to detect leaks, but someone there said their surgeons used it to prevent infection (like plastic surgeons)...Any way, it was interesting. The NUT there said that Protein is not the be all - end all. She said the 60-79 g of protein is based on a man of a certain height and that I shouldn't worry about it as much as getting a balanced diet. She didn't say NOT to do what I was told only that the science wasn't there to support the rule that we get so much protein. (She has been a bariatric NUT for 25 years...) Any way, it was interesting.

Just as with online comments, you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt. I think it is honestly best to stick as close as we can to the guidelines our actual program put forth. I've been to a live meeting where the doctor said you only need the Vitamins for the first year, which made very little sense to me. Protein is good for many things in our bodies, and it is the most satiating foods out there, so I think it is wise to take in a great amount of protein and to chose protein foods first. I don't know about you, but those choices tend to be low calorie and keep me full longer.

Just as with online comments' date=' you have to take everything you hear with a grain of salt. I think it is honestly best to stick as close as we can to the guidelines our actual program put forth. I've been to a live meeting where the doctor said you only need the Vitamins for the first year, which made very little sense to me. Protein is good for many things in our bodies, and it is the most satiating foods out there, so I think it is wise to take in a great amount of protein and to chose protein foods first. I don't know about you, but those choices tend to be low calorie and keep me full longer.[/quote']

I don't think she was saying NOT to eat protein first. I think she was saying to eat protein with every meal, but that if I got anything above 30 g. of protein, my body would be fine....like my muscles weren't going to deteriorate. She definitely thought protein provides the most satisfying long-burn, but she was concerned that too many of us obsess over hitting the protein goal of 60-70 and that might not be the most important thing.

On a different note, they mentioned that people with bariatric surgery should not do sit ups or crunches. Has anyone else's doctor told them that? We are supposed to weight bearing exercise for sure, but not supposed to "tax" the area most affected by the surgery. I thought after 6 weeks I could do anything.

re: "stalls" - I am still struggling to get to 20 lbs off a full six weeks post surgery. I eat Protein. I exercise. (Got to 6 miles of walking yesterday) but it hasn't come off easily. So you can imagine how I feel when someone loses 20' date=' 30, 40 lbs in the first month. Even if you stall for a WHOLE month, you still will be "ahead" of me! So, even though my weight loss paradigm has little relevance to most of you who have lost a lot and stalled, I agree with other posters who are further along...You just have to keep at it. I suspect that the huge stalls have a lot to do with your body adjusting to both the weight loss and the change in calories, but eventually your body will adjust and you will lose more.[/quote']

I know exactly how you feel! when I hear someone who has lost 30 or more pounds on their first month and they are complaining about a "stall", it makes me feel like a failure since it will be a miracle if I can hit 20 at the end of my first month. I'm only 10 pounds down at 19 days out. I'm following all the rules and was hoping for 20 at 4 weeks. ????BUT, I will persevere! I'm blessed to have had this surgery and the best is yet to come!

I know exactly how you feel! when I hear someone who has lost 30 or more pounds on their first month and they are complaining about a "stall", it makes me feel like a failure since it will be a miracle if I can hit 20 at the end of my first month. I'm only 10 pounds down at 19 days out. I'm following all the rules and was hoping for 20 at 4 weeks. BUT, I will persevere! I'm blessed to have had this surgery and the best is yet to come!

I'm still stalling, and we're almost 8 weeks post op and I'm down 34 pounds. I wish I was 40 down, but I'm thinking of maybe just doing 2 Protein Shakes a day and one meal with little Snacks to see if it'll help me budge the scale. I'm exercising 3-4x a week, burning 800 calories or more and I just can't seem to get it moving.

I know exactly how you feel! when I hear someone who has lost 30 or more pounds on their first month and they are complaining about a "stall"' date=' it makes me feel like a failure since it will be a miracle if I can hit 20 at the end of my first month. I'm only 10 pounds down at 19 days out. I'm following all the rules and was hoping for 20 at 4 weeks. dde15BUT, I will persevere! I'm blessed to have had this surgery and the best is yet to come![/quote']

My PCP believes that there are a lot more patients like us (people who don't lose as fast) but because we don't have these incredible numbers to report, we don't report them...vs. the people who do have great success want to shout it from the roof tops. She thought that 20 lbs in 6 weeks was "good" weight loss results.

Everyone today is 9 weeks surgiversary. Can you believe it. Time went by so fast. Weighed myself this morning and I've lost 40 pounds since surgery for a total of 50 pounds. Feels amazing. :)

Everyone today is 9 weeks surgiversary. Can you believe it. Time went by so fast. Weighed myself this morning and I've lost 40 pounds since surgery for a total of 50 pounds. Feels amazing. :)

Cathy, you are doing better than you thought because it has only been 8 weeks :D

Threw up for the first time since surgery. Ate 1/4 cup roasted edamame (130 cal, 13 g). I have eaten this before without feeling sick, but this time, maybe I didn't chew well enough...It was horrible. :-(

Cathy' date=' you are doing better than you thought because it has only been 8 weeks :D[/quote']

Lol. I guess it has then that's pretty awesome!!!

Finally broke a 4 week stall. Boy it was hard being 'patient'.

I feel wonderful. Having the sleeve was the best thing ever.

Good luck everyone

I need to get my energy back. I was doing so good and i got to my first personal goal of under 300 lbs. Then i got sick. Sinus infection and broncitis all in 1 causing a Migraine flare up. Doctor gave me 3 injections and sent me home. Doing much better but still lack energy. I am taking all my Vitamins and medicine and B12 but cannot get out of this tired all the time junk. I know im still getting better but i hate being lazy. What can i do???

I need to get my energy back. I was doing so good and i got to my first personal goal of under 300 lbs. Then i got sick. Sinus infection and broncitis all in 1 causing a Migraine flare up. Doctor gave me 3 injections and sent me home. Doing much better but still lack energy. I am taking all my Vitamins and medicine and B12 but cannot get out of this tired all the time junk. I know im still getting better but i hate being lazy. What can i do???

If you are sick, you need to take it easy. Be kind to yourself, and don't push so hard that you stay sick. Once you are better, you can get back to full work outs and full steam.

Blue Eyes - I agree with Megeen. You need to let your body heal first and then get back on the exercise track. It won't do you any good to be worn out now, because you may leave yourself open to another virus.