Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dec. 17 Sleevers - How are you on week out?

Does anyone else feel hungry constantly. I am only able to get about 300 calories in a day. I am scared of upping them and gaining weight, any suggestions?

What stage are you in? Are you eating mainly Protein first? no liquids with the meal and it sticks in the stomach longer.

My doctor is one of the best where this surgery is concerned. He was the only American surgeon invited to the International Sleeve Conference in NYC on December 6' date=' 2012. I also find it surprising, and confusing when I read how everyone's diet is so different. I was on Clear Liquids in the hospital and through post op day 3. Then full liquids for two weeks. Then I was able to have ( to me ) real food. It must be well chewed and most-seafood, chickent/turkey, well steamed veggies, and raw fruit. I am moving into week 4 as of this Monday, and last week I was ok'd for real coffee, raw veggies, and Vitamins that I can swallow. Plus, I may begin exercising "in earnest". Hubs and I are going to train for a 5K that is scheduled in late spring.[/quote']

Your diet guidelines are the most similar to the ones I was given. Seems like there are not as many of us with this particular plan. That being said, the NUT said that we should not move from Phase 1 to Phase 2 unless we felt 100% like we were ready. She said it is better to go too slow with progressing from full liquids/purees to purees/smooth foods, etc, than to go too fast. Personally, since the focus is on Protein, it's not like we are just eating "anything." Were you given calorie guidelines? I wasn't.

I know it isn't much' date=' but my BMI has gone from extremely obese, to obese...small milestone.[/quote']

Awesome!

Does anyone else feel hungry constantly. I am only able to get about 300 calories in a day. I am scared of upping them and gaining weight' date=' any suggestions?[/quote']

I also had extreme hunger. There are a lot of posts about it. In my case its acid reflux, which I've had for years, but never felt like hunger till now. If you're not on an acid reducer, or are and its not working, you should check with doc. I upped my acid reducer and the hunger went away.

Awesome!

Good job!

Your diet guidelines are the most similar to the ones I was given. Seems like there are not as many of us with this particular plan. That being said, the NUT said that we should not move from Phase 1 to Phase 2 unless we felt 100% like we were ready. She said it is better to go too slow with progressing from full liquids/purees to purees/smooth foods, etc, than to go too fast. Personally, since the focus is on Protein, it's not like we are just eating "anything." Were you given calorie guidelines? I wasn't.

We are very similar in our weight. I started at 241 and am now 223. I am happy with that since I have not started exercising yet. I have had a very bad cold all week and been snuggled up in the house. Keep up the good work.

33313973.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

We are very similar in our weight. I started at 241 and am now 223. I am happy with that since I have not started exercising yet. I have had a very bad cold all week and been snuggled up in the house. Keep up the good work.

33313973.png

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Oops, forgot to answer you question about calorie guidelines. I have been getting between 600 and 800 cal per day. I asked my nut if that is enough and she said that is about what they expect. Also, I am supposed to eat the Protein first, chew well, take 20 min. for a meal (usually takes longer if it is a regular meal), and don't drink for 5 min. before or 30 min. after. The not drinking Water with my meal is the hardest part for me. I am going to Guatemala on a humanitarian trip on Sunday for 10 days and was worried about the food. I went last year and felt that what they serve is very managable. My nut said I should be just fine. They eat primarily Beans, plantains, polenta, chicken, fish, eggs. She did suggest I take Protein Bars to supplement with. We have water with us constantly while we are there so that should be good. My main concern is appearing like I don't like the food that is presented to me. I will just have to think of a polite way to explain why I'm not eating much or, if it is a host family, I may tell them about the surgery. Any suggestions on how to handle that?

What a brilliant idea

Clever!

I saw my dr and nut at 3 weeks. I told the nut I was hungry all the time and she said I could start a regular diet. She thought the puree was not satisfying my hunger. She said I am healed and can have whatever I want' date=' including breads, Pasta, and rice. I told my dr I was having light headedness and felt sleepy, esp when driving on the freeway. She told me to try going back on coffee with caffeine. So, both suggestions, to resolve hunger and the head symptoms, have made a huge difference. Granted, it takes me an hour to drink a cup of coffee and 2 bites of chicken and I am stuffed but, I still drink pro. shakes and feel the reg. food is more of a supplement because I eat so little. I was wondering if anyone else is on a regular diet yet and how it is going.[/quote']

Im on a regular food diet I eat pretty much what I can handle I eat mostly food that has a soft consistency, I also get full quickly. I no longer drink Protein shakes however I do get the required Protein from other sources, everything is healing really well with an exception of a little aches and pains every now and then but ultimately I'm doing great!!! Hope this helped a bit.

I know it isn't much, but my BMI has gone from extremely obese, to obese...small milestone.

Congratulations! That is a FANTASTIC milestone!

Meegan, this is another thing different between our Kaiser programs, at one month I go from pureed to soft foods and stay there for another month and a half before going on to a modified regular diet.

It might be different doctor to doctor as well. In the book I got from Kaiser it said 6-8 weeks on phase 3, and my surgeon said a month from when I went to stage 2.

Does anyone else feel hungry constantly. I am only able to get about 300 calories in a day. I am scared of upping them and gaining weight, any suggestions?

If you can try to get above 500 calories, you will probably lose better. On only 300, your body will be in serious starvation mode. I think they want us more like 600 calories, and making sure we are getting 60 g Protein, and as close to the 64 oz of Water as we can get. I think most of us are not getting the full 64. And, my doctor says 60 minutes after you eat anything, including a Protein Drink before you drink. That really helps keep you feeling full.. Hope you feel less hungry soon.

It might be different doctor to doctor as well. In the book I got from Kaiser it said 6-8 weeks on phase 3, and my surgeon said a month from when I went to stage 2.

Do you have a dietician? My surgeon seems to leave it all up to the dietician's program, he doesn't remark on food at all so far. I have a phone appt, with the dietician on Friday and she will probably move me into soft foods, which won't be all that different than puree's for me. I have been eating soft stuff and just chewing really well until it is pureed. I will be interested if she adds more volume this time, I have been having only 1/4 cup each of the three meals. So interesting to hear all the different programs.

I also had extreme hunger. There are a lot of posts about it. In my case its acid reflux' date=' which I've had for years, but never felt like hunger till now. If you're not on an acid reducer, or are and its not working, you should check with doc. I upped my acid reducer and the hunger went away.[/quote']

Awesome thank you ! I didn't think acid reflux felt like this I was thinking more like heart burn

Does anyone have an uncomfortable feeling when you drink to fast and not sip your drink ?

Well I normally do but , I just had some Water and I did not sip it and I did not have any pain . So I guess that means my body is healing