Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tamale Yay or Nay?

My culture eats tamales for Christmas. I'm six weeks out, and my doctor has me on regular food, 2 oz. at a time.. What do you think?

Honestly, I wouldn't. My stepmom is making tamales too. I'm 4 weeks out, and I'll be eating tuna for Christmas.

The starch and oil levels are high on tamales. 2 oz won't kill you, but can you stop at just a small portion? I don't have that level of control yet, so that's why I say I wouldn't.

I'm 4 months out and a few weeks ago had 1/4 of one. It sat in my sleeve like a lead balloon. It was very uncomfortable.

Thank you SeriouslyChange. I haven't cheated on my diet and really want to make good decisions.

Doxi:

Thanks for sharing that. I want to learn from others as much as possible. Valueable information!

I would try a few bites of the inside only if you decide to do so. ;) let your sleeve guide you- it will let you know quickly if its a no go.

Mommyrad,

Can you show us the recipe for them or the ingredients? Perhaps some changes can be made to make them sleeve worthy.

I eat homemade burritos but they are low carb and low spice, not bad for me.

The inside is pretty moist so I would've thought yay with some sauce.

I love tamales and usually eat them with my best friend's family for Christmas. I am five months out and still too afraid to try one. This will be the first holiday in more years than I can count where I will not have them but I am just not ready yet.

Mommyrad,

Can you show us the recipe for them or the ingredients? Perhaps some changes can be made to make them sleeve worthy.

I eat homemade burritos but they are low carb and low spice, not bad for me.

Traditional homemade tamales are everything except sleeve worthy.. LOL There are some healthy alternative recipes available but I do not know one person that has ever tried to make one.

I feel your pain! I'm going to miss tamales this year, too :-(

I agree with losingit, try a small bite of the inside first, see how it goes.

Good luck!

I have always wanted to learn how to make tamales but never had the courage. Well this year I decided I can do it. That's what YouTube is for right?? So I told my family that's the plan for Christmas. Then I started going thru the steps for wls. Well I'm scheduled for jan 9 so I'm going forward with my plans but I'm afraid I'm gonna totally derail myself off my diet. I don't know after surgery how I'm going to handle these types of situations. Seems though it would be easier to avoid them all together than to stop at only part of one. If you do eat them please post. I'm curious how you did.

U went to the Nut before the holidays began and that was my same question about the tamales so she told me I can do it better just use less masa (dough) and more meat or cheese. Well I did what she said and I made them small it was the perfect size for me but for my family they ate about 4 each because small or maybe they were really good lol

post-25538-13813661652258_thumb.png

[ATTACH]7393[/ATTACH]

post-25538-13813661652771_thumb.png

[ATTACH]7394[/ATTACH]

I love me some tamales! I say make some with less masa- more goodies like the PP said... or just eat the insides. So jealous! I need to make more- everyone raved over mine when i made them this summer.

The tamales my family makes are made of Pork Shoulder Roast (or you can use chicken or cheese), Corn Masa (the dough that holds everything together), Lard, Garlic powder, Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika,Salt, and Ground Pepper.

I believe I can resist, but I wanted to have half of one, if it was okay. I will let you know....