Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Elliptical 2 Days Out?

Okay, so my recovery has been amazing...I feel great and I'm getting in my fluids and my Protein is going down slowly but I'm getting about 2 oz every two hours. I don't have a treadmill at my house, I have an elliptical. I work out at a gym but I'm trying to get in short and frequent exercise which is rough to do at a gym. Can I lightly use my elliptical? I'm considering buying a treadmill but it'd be so much easier if I could just use what I already have. Opinions? Is it worth buying a treadmill?

I love my treadmill! I also has an elliptical but I don't use it. I've only been on it maybe three or four times. Good luck! :)

Please reconsider and before you get on it, call your doctor!!!! I had surgery on 12-6 and my doctor said at one week and two weeks how great I am doing. All that said, my doctor also said absolutely no exercise except walking. I know I would love to get on my exercise bike but he shot that down. Other than walking involves your abdominal muscles in ways you don't realize. To do your surgery, even with a skilled surgeon and a laparoscope, they went through some of your abdominal muscles. So they are rebuilding and straining them before they are rebuilt can CAUSE DAMAGE!! I have had abdominal surgery before and know you can feel great but it isn't something you rush. You know how there are exercises to build up your core? Well that is your abdominal and back and you don't want to mess it up! I have had an elliptical and know how it does work your abdomen. Please give yourself time to heal. Walk around your house, walk around your block, walk and walk and walk. It won't slow down your weight loss to give yourself time to heal. I lost 8 pounds in a week just walking and that was just walking in my house. You can probably use your equipment at 4 weeks. I have the date marked on my calendar. But check with your doctor.

I tried using the elliptical trainer about 6 days after surgery. I still had staples in and it was really painful. I switched back to the treadmill. About 10 days out, I was able to do the elliptical and haven't looked back.

My doc said i had to wait 6 weeks, my hubby was going to buy me a elliptical for Christmas then he said i need to walk int'l 6weeks. So check with the doctor

DO NOT do anything other than walk for at least 6 weeks. Your Doctor should have given you specific instructions for post op. Your stomach is healing and you have cut muscle tissue that needs to heal, not to mention your incisions. Follow your Doctor's instructions and you will do fine.

Please reconsider and before you get on it' date=' call your doctor!!!! I had surgery on 12-6 and my doctor said at one week and two weeks how great I am doing. All that said, my doctor also said absolutely no exercise except walking. I know I would love to get on my exercise bike but he shot that down. Other than walking involves your abdominal muscles in ways you don't realize. To do your surgery, even with a skilled surgeon and a laparoscope, they went through some of your abdominal muscles. So they are rebuilding and straining them before they are rebuilt can CAUSE DAMAGE!! I have had abdominal surgery before and know you can feel great but it isn't something you rush. You know how there are exercises to build up your core? Well that is your abdominal and back and you don't want to mess it up! I have had an elliptical and know how it does work your abdomen. Please give yourself time to heal. Walk around your house, walk around your block, walk and walk and walk. It won't slow down your weight loss to give yourself time to heal. I lost 8 pounds in a week just walking and that was just walking in my house. You can probably use your equipment at 4 weeks. I have the date marked on my calendar. But check with your doctor.[/quote']

I agree. Your insides are healing and stress on your muscles could lead to stress on other things. I specifically asked about elliptical and was told NO until the end of 6 weeks...end of January.

My doctor said absolutely NO elliptical for 6-8 weeks because you twist your body while using it. I could however lift weights immediately but only 10 pounds worth. I started lifting weights the day I came home from the hospital. Not a lot, but enough to where I felt I was doing something to help maintain my muscle mass.

Yeah, I haven't used the elliptical. I'll talk to my doc but for now I'm not taking in enough calories to be burning them all off. I need to heal more before I can even think about harder exercise than walking. Thanks for all the advice, I was just being impatient.

Yeah, I haven't used the elliptical. I'll talk to my doc but for now I'm not taking in enough calories to be burning them all off. I need to heal more before I can even think about harder exercise than walking. Thanks for all the advice, I was just being impatient.

It's okay, we all get it and know exactly how you are feeling. :) We all are impatient to get thinner ASAP but that is why this forum is so great. We have people we can check in with.