Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Antibacterial Soap for Pre-Op

Yesterday, I received an email from my surgeon's office that they had created a login for me for their web site. I requested it online a couple weeks ago and had forgotten about it.

Once I logged in, I found a tidbit under the Pre-Op Info page that I hadn't seen before:

You should begin taking two showers daily with an antibacterial soap for a few days prior to the operation. This will decrease the chance of an infection. We can provide you with Lever 2000 soap. Another excellent antibacterial soap is Hibiclens. It can be purchased at drug stores in four-ounce bottles.< /div>

If not to ask if any of you had heard of anything like this, I wanted to at least share it. Conceptually, I'm not sure how much it would actually help, but it certainly can't hurt!

I actually shower with the hipacleanse everyday just because I am prone to rashes and painful blocked pores and let me tell you... Since I have I haven't had to go to the doctors at all for either ( except my escema but that is genetic but the hipacleanse makes it wear the cracks in my skin don't get infected anymore thank god). So I would say it does make things a lot better from my experience.

Yesterday, I received an email from my surgeon's office that they had created a login for me for their web site. I requested it online a couple weeks ago and had forgotten about it.

Once I logged in, I found a tidbit under the Pre-Op Info page that I hadn't seen before:

You should begin taking two showers daily with an antibacterial soap for a few days prior to the operation. This will decrease the chance of an infection. We can provide you with Lever 2000 soap. Another excellent antibacterial soap is Hibiclens. It can be purchased at drug stores in four-ounce bottles.< /div>

If not to ask if any of you had heard of anything like this, I wanted to at least share it. Conceptually, I'm not sure how much it would actually help, but it certainly can't hurt!

Hi,

Yep, my doc requires the same thing... I also thought it was kind of odd. I just have to do it tonight and tomorrow before I leave for surgery. Good luck with your surgery!

~Dana

Preop wash with a product containing chlorohexidine has proven to decrease Postop infections. This is now the gold standard around the world. Do it! Best practice for best outcomes!

My doctor gave a bottle with instruction to use it night and morning before surgery. The only thing I dislike was the nurse checking me in said we do not need to scrub you because you have already washed! I was thinking but what have I encountered since leaving my bathroom this am???

I said nothing and it all turn out ok but I would have preferred they rescurbb in the admitting process as well. I am thinking they must have in the OR at least I hope they did!

I was supposed to wash the morning of surgery with a sponge that they gave me with the antibacterial solution in it. I thought it strange and hoped from that morning to that afternoon I didn't get any germs on my tummy, so I waited till just a few hours before leaving the house to shower with it.

Yes, they asked me to do the same, my wife as well when she had a different surgery. Although twice a day for 4 days seems a little excessive. Better safe than sorry.

I was just told to shower with any kind of anti-bacterial soap the morning of surgery.

Thanks for the info.

Also, someone had put antibacterial soap on a list of things to pack for the hospital and hotel stay.

Yep I had to do the same thing, and the day of surgery in the prep room I had to wipe down with this wipes that were nasty and sticky but they helped reduce infection !

Yep I had to do the same thing' date=' and the day of surgery in the prep room I had to wipe down with this wipes that were nasty and sticky but they helped reduce infection ![/quote']

I too had to shower in the special soap and wipe down with wet wipes after arriving at the hospital. They were warmed though. I felt kinda special. Haha

I just bought the Dial gold, which is antibacterial and I will used it the morning of surgery at around 4:30 that morning :(. I'm sure they must still paint you with betadine in the OR, that is normal practice to reduce risks of infection.

My surgeon had me shower everyday with Hibiclens for five days before surgery. I also had to swab my nostrils with mupirocin twice daily.

Interesting and I've never heard of this before. Sounds like a good practice though!

I also was given antibacterial sponges to use the night before and morning of surgery. The sponge even had a little scrubby pad and I made sure I scrubbed my tummy with it good lol