Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food feels like it just wont go down & I get Pain from it

This is kind of hard to explain. I'm 5 weeks out today, and I feel great. But, sometimes when I eat, it feels like the food is stuck and the top of my stomach, or maybe the bottom of my esophagus and I get the sharpest pain. (I'm NOT chocking, its a stuck feeling) I did throw up 2x when this happened, a few other times it was not as bad. Its the weirdest pain, almost like the food just wont go down, and yes I chew really really well and take small bites.

Does anyone else have this, and if so, will it go away? I just feel like I'll NEVER be able to just eat normally without having this pain. The second I feel it coming on, I STOP eating, and I'm not necessarily full, but don't want to throw up.

Anyone?

I did mention it to my nutritionist, but she didn't seem to think anything of it. I just want to know if anyone else has experienced this, if NOT, then I will be seeing my Dr. for follow up in a few weeks and I'll mention it.

I get this when I eat too fast, too much, or have something my sleeve doesnt like. It is my bodies way of telling me no opossed to others who slime or burp or hiccup so I have learned to be more mindful of my portions and know which foods I am able to eat more of so I dont get it because I dont like it and many times it is folowwed by nausea. I had to track everything for a few weeks to get a really good idea but its pretty second nature now. I really have to take my time eating cuz just one bite too much will do it.

i get this too & im only 2 weeks post op....ive backed off regular foods & returned to broths....i did notice it happened when i ate too fast-go figure.....sitiing in a reclined position helps.....my dr told me it's normal....hope this helps :0)

If I eat too fast, or don't chew well and gulp, then I get the restricted feeling. Got to relearn how to eat, go slow, chew well. Even though you probably have graduated to solids, you still have to be careful to chew your food. I didn't realize how many bad habits I had (gulping food, not really chewing it), until I had this surgery. It's a learning process. Realized today that drinking with a straw is just a bad thing too. Live and learn every day.

Yes I had this. Count 30 seconds at least between mouthfuls. It gets better. I don't count anymore x

Another possible explanation is a stricture, which is scar tissue that makes a very narrow opening near the esophogus. They use a balloon dilation treatment to stretch that narrowing. If it continues, let your surgeon know so they can test for it. For now back off to Protein Shakes and full liquids and take your Vitamins, keep hydrated.