Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Success with portion control only? anyone?

ok I may be having a moment of buyers remorse. I had surgery 12/5. I cannot say I have enjoyed one thing I have put in my mouth since 11/24. Well maybe

the fruit smoothie but then found out it wasn't on my approved list due to sugar content.Even some Soups or egg or things I may have enjoyed in the past have

not seemed as "good". I don't know if this is because my tastes have changed, I am burnt out on soups and softs or its the fact that i barely get a good taste of it.

This has led me to think about a few things. I decided on the sleeve, after I had been very anti surgery as I felt it was successful mostly due to restriction or Portion Control. Much like the lap band but without the foreign object. However now I find my doctors list and everyone's recommendations are not portion

control but no or very low carb. Almost Atkins like. If I had wanted to live on atkins could I not have just went on the atkins diet?

Is there anyome who has managed to lose their excess weight, eating a well balanced diet which includes whole grains, fruits, veggies and Proteins by portion

size only?

I am 3 months post op and loving my restriction. My nutritionist did not stress the type of diet that you mentioned! I have found that to get all my Protein in and keep my body running I eat it first every time, then get my fruits or veggies in! I put carbs or starches in last and really have no desire or room for them. I try to make people understand when they say, "oh you can't eat that" that I can eat anything I want, but if I'm going to be full after 3 oz than it better be protein!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I think the reason for a low-carb diet focus is to ensure that you get the appropriate amount of Protein in. The idea is to fill up on Protein, then add the other stuff later.

My own doctors did not steer me toward a low-carb diet, but rather toward a balanced diet that stressed protein intake and eating healthy whole grains for carbohydrates.

In my experience even with low-carb dieting, the trick is to be low carb and not no carb. I've had a lot of luck making substitutions where they don't hurt, but in fact help flavor for me - for instance, I'll almost always opt for brown rice over white, long grain over short, whole wheat toast over white. These are flavor preferences for me that happen to also be healthy choices.

As long as you eat healthy and keep your calories down, you should lose weight via Portion Control on the sleeve. In the end, with any diet - surgery assisted or not - is down to calorie consumption.

First of all, I think we all have buyers remorse at some point right after surgery!!! The first few months after surgery were torturous for me!!! I had my surgery right before Thanksgiving last year and I was just so unhappy at not being able to eat anything that I wanted!!!

But I'm here to tell you that things WILL get easier!!! I am a little over one year out and there isn't anything that I CAN'T eat (although there are some foods I don't tolerate very well). Now, that doesn't mean that eating whatever I want is what's best for me. I know that when I'm not losing, it's usually because my carbs are on the high end and I'm not putting Protein first.

I don't think you will have to live a "Atkins" lifestyle in order to lose weight and I actually don't subscribe to the notion that carbs are "bad". Carbs are energy!!! We NEED them in our diets. I have been eating 1800-2000 calories a day since about April and I think my diet is fairly balanced. I also don't deprive myself of anything. If I'm craving something I have it.

I love my sleeve....and someday, you will too!!!! Hang in there!!!!

I understand what you are saying and feel much the same way. I am wondering if you can be successful with a balanced diet or if you have to go very low carb. Although in the beginning it is my understanding that you don't have room for much food and in order to get in the protien you can't tak up space with carbs. I don't have my surgery until January.

My doc is an absolutely balanced diet kind of doc. While early out you are naturally lower in carbs, they are not a requirement for me to worry about aside from totally empty ones (white bread, egg Pasta etc). I eat them a bit, but prefer whole grains, which are encouraged in my program. I have asked "how many carbs" only to be told that I am not on Atkins :) Healthy carbs is the focus, not carbs in general.

At week 5 I was instructed to hit 100g of carbs per day and 1000 calories. I never come close to that and I'm 8 weeks out! I eat 5 or so multi grain crackers per day or a Soup with rice. I have yet to try bread or Pasta.

Yesterday was the first day I hit my nut's goals but I was disappointed in the way I did it. I ate 15 crackers, turkey lunch meat, beef Jerky, 4 cheese sticks, and chicken with rice Soup. Got all my fluids in, didn't go to the gym last night, and I'm 1.5 lbs lighter then yesterday morning!?! Yesterday was the first day in 3 months I went a bit crazy.

Here's what MFP looked like for it. (Does not include vitamins)

post-20713-1381366160302_thumb.jpg

LOL Donny...in the old days would you have thought that was a "crazy" day? heh heh

LOL Donny...in the old days would you have thought that was a "crazy" day? heh heh

That would have been a drive home from work snack! Plus a big soda!

And I try to eat balanced every day and I don't weigh everything I eat. But I pay attention to it and log it as closely as I can in MFP. I don't want to live my life weighing everything. I want to learn what full feels like and be able to eyeball my meals. And when I get horrible slimed and the hurl feeling that does more for Portion Control then a scale would for me. I have fruits, veggies, Protein, dairy, and carbs every day.

That would have been a drive home from work snack! Plus a big soda!

And I try to eat balanced every day and I don't weigh everything I eat. But I pay attention to it and log it as closely as I can in MFP. I don't want to live my life weighing everything. I want to learn what full feels like and be able to eyeball my meals. And when I get horrible slimed and the hurl feeling that does more for Portion Control then a scale would for me. I have fruits' date=' veggies, Protein, dairy, and carbs every day.[/quote']

Hey Donny what's ur MFP name?? I just got it and don't have any friends lol

thanks all, I feel better about it all today. I can totally live and be happy if I can eat around 1000 calories and 80 carbs a day. Sounds like after I am totally healed and eating more foods things maybe different. I am sure in 2 more weeks as my diet really expands I will be much

happier.

I don't count calories, Protein, nor carbs. I'm horrible at trying to get my exercise in.I make sure that I eat my protein first then veggies. I was sleeved on August 16. My starting weight was 299. Today I weigh 228. Don't stress. Get your Water in.

I use measuring cups and watch my portion size. I do it so I don't waste any food that I know I can't finish. It also helps me to watch my calorie intake. Of course, Protein first! Good luck!