Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So I'm considering just paying myself but I wonder what it will cost and what others have done who've gone this route. I may use care credit.

My surgery is $4,500. I'm going to Tijuana. This fee covers: Doctor fee for the two doctors who will be doing the procedure, anesthesia, hospital fees, all required lab work, 3 post surgery leak tests, Nutritionist (I'm currently working with their nutritionist already three months before my procedure with phone consultations and will continue until well after my surgery) 2 nights in the hospital, 2 additional nights at the Tijuana Marriott, and ground transportation from SanDiego Airport.

Last time I checked care credit didn't cover procedures outside of the usa though. Yeah, Medical Tourism isn't for everyone but it's one option out there.

My cost is estimated to be $15,000. The surgeon (for the next 2 years follow-up), all labs, NUT available forever if needed, local support group (again forever if needed), hospital stay (1 night), psychological testing, etc. I found out my insurance will cover sleep study, stress test and pulmonary testing so that should save me a few thousand off the cost. The above is all inclusive. Everything is local and the surgeon has been working in bariatrics since he was starting medical school. I'm in Arkansas.

I find it strange but i understand...they need the money up front. But this does give it room for it to be a scam.

"PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU PLAN TO PAY WITH A DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD, PAYMENT MUST BE MADE AT LEAST 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL. IF YOU ARE TRAVELING FROM OUTSIDE OF THE US, PAYMENT MUST BE MADE IN EITHER CASH, TRAVELER’S CHECKS OR CREDIT CARD AT LEAST 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL."

I paid the $500 to confirm date of surgery, Jan 21 2013 with Dr. Alamanza.

I dont feel comfortable sending the full amount by creditcard 5 days before arrival..what about if they dont pick me up and im there waiting and they dont show up and im ripped off five thousand dollars..it would be a nightmare.

My question is how did you decide to pay and what is the best option? alot of people pay by Cashier cheque but why do they need a copy of it 5 days before hand or earlier? can they somehow cash the cheque by just the photocopy..by reading the cheques number..i dont dont wanna get scammed. I know its all a risk ..im just curious :)

I find it strange but i understand...they need the money up front. But this does give it room for it to be a scam.

"PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU PLAN TO PAY WITH A DEBIT OR CREDIT CARD' date=' PAYMENT MUST BE MADE AT LEAST 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL. IF YOU ARE TRAVELING FROM OUTSIDE OF THE US, PAYMENT MUST BE MADE IN EITHER CASH, TRAVELER’S CHECKS OR CREDIT CARD AT LEAST 5 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE YOUR ARRIVAL."

I paid the 500 to confirm date of surgery, Jan 21 2013 with Dr. Alamanza. [/sub']

I dont feel comfortable sending the full amount by creditcard 5 days before arrival..what about if they dont pick me up and im there waiting and they dont show up and im ripped off five thousand dollars..it would be a nightmare.

My question is how did you decide to pay and what is the best option? alot of people pay by Cashier cheque but why do they need a copy of it 5 days before hand or earlier? can they somehow cash the cheque by just the photocopy..by reading the cheques number..i dont dont wanna get scammed. I know its all a risk ..im just curious :)

They can't cash a photocopy but it would be a waste of their space and time if someone paid the deposit then never showed up. Makes sense I guess:)

So the photocopy is a way for them to know the money is on its way and assures them that payment will be made.

How would you pay? is a cashier cheque the same as a travelers cheque? Im coming from Canada

I'm sending a check. Check is sent to a US address as I am coordinating through a US company.

My surgery was around 10k including flights and accommodations I also was required to submit a 1,000 pre-payment to secure my date for surgery. I didn't encounter any problems with the financial side. And the doctor also gave me documentation because I guess I can write it off of my taxes which is nice!

If i lived in the States and Surgery was going to be done there...i would have no problem trusting them. But im talking about Mexico a different part of the world. A little sketchy :)

Mine was done in Mexico and I felt perfectly confident.

I'm in Florida, and the surgeon, hospital (one night), and nutritional counceling came to $19,000. I refinanced my house to come up with the cash.

It sounds like doing the surgery outside of the U.S would be cheaper but I have to be honest with myself I'd simply feel better if I did it here. I have 3 young children a working husband and responsibilities that can only be done by me. I can't consider more than 2 days off so traveling is out. 15 thousand isn't as bad as my hubby and I thought. If that is the case I'd be very okay with that price.

I am in Canada and also traveling to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta - surgery on Jan 21)

I was definitely hesistant to even pay 1000.00 deposit in November when I booked my date.

However... once I did that and wrapped my head around it I was much more comfortable. After that I specially asked if I could pay for mine in FULL before Dec 31 so that I could claim it on income tax for this year. Originally it was a yes, then it was a no and that I'd have to pay the rest when I got there.... (I'll just do them Feb 2012-Jan 2013... I already spoke to the CRA regarding it)

I too was worried about it being a scam like you are... but 1000's of others have done this before us, and I have not read anything regarding my surgeon or the one you are thinking of choosing scamming anyone out of any money.

If I was told I HAD to pay in advance... I think the same thoughts would cross my mind... what if they don't pick me up etc.

I think coming from Canada is a bit more stressful as opposed to someone going to Mexico from the states.

So the photocopy is a way for them to know the money is on its way and assures them that payment will be made.

How would you pay? is a cashier cheque the same as a travelers cheque? Im coming from Canada

I am in Canada and also traveling to Mexico (Puerto Vallarta - surgery on Jan 21)

I was definitely hesistant to even pay 1000.00 deposit in November when I booked my date.

However... once I did that and wrapped my head around it I was much more comfortable. After that I specially asked if I could pay for mine in FULL before Dec 31 so that I could claim it on income tax for this year. Originally it was a yes, then it was a no and that I'd have to pay the rest when I got there.... (I'll just do them Feb 2012-Jan 2013... I already spoke to the CRA regarding it)

I too was worried about it being a scam like you are... but 1000's of others have done this before us, and I have not read anything regarding my surgeon or the one you are thinking of choosing scamming anyone out of any money.

If I was told I HAD to pay in advance... I think the same thoughts would cross my mind... what if they don't pick me up etc.

I think coming from Canada is a bit more stressful as opposed to someone going to Mexico from the states.

I had to pay cash for my surgery that I had 6 months ago, it has been worth the $13,900.00 I spent to be down 102 lbs today! I had mine in Oxford, Mississippi with Dr. King.