Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are some pre-op diets so long and others so short?

I only started my pre-op diet on Friday with surgery tomorrow (December 17th), but I keep reading about other people being on pre-op diets for weeks. Does anyone know why doctors favor one or the other? My BMI is high enough for insurance to cover this surgery and I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's), but I don't have any co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, etc.

Good luck with surgery!!!! How exciting! And to answer your question it pretty much boils down to the surgeons preferences. That is why you see such a varied response on here- its because doctors are that different with their philosophies and I personally don't feel one is right or one is wrong. If you trust who you are with that is all you need. I was surprised I didn't have to do anything pre-op but I am four months out and feeling great. I wish you all the best!

I only started my pre-op diet on Friday with surgery tomorrow (December 17th)' date=' but I keep reading about other people being on pre-op diets for weeks. Does anyone know why doctors favor one or the other? My BMI is high enough for insurance to cover this surgery and I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's), but I don't have any co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, etc.[/quote']

Many doctors require rapid weight loss from the pre-op diet to shrink the patients liver so they can access and view other organs. What does your diet consist of?

Many doctors require rapid weight loss from the pre-op diet to shrink the patients liver so they can access and view other organs. What does your diet consist of?

That is right! I totally forgot about that very important part about shrinking the liver. Very good point!

He told me the three days was to shrink my liver. It is a three-day, clear-liquid diet: diet drinks, Decaf tea, Isopure, Jello, broth...stuff like that.

That is right! I totally forgot about that very important part about shrinking the liver. Very good point!

COnative - Are you still in your home state? I live in CO currently. I will be having surgery at Parker Adventist. I was supposed to have Dr. Metz and he left abruptly to start his own practice in November. For insurance reasons, I have stayed with the same practice and now have Dr. Joshua Long.

I love CO and two years ago, my family hiked up to Devil's Head. I was huffing and puffing the whole time. I am looking forward to having a lighter body, so that these activities won't tire me out quite the same.

COnative - Are you still in your home state? I live in CO currently. I will be having surgery at Parker Adventist. I was supposed to have Dr. Metz and he left abruptly to start his own practice in November. For insurance reasons, I have stayed with the same practice and now have Dr. Joshua Long.

I love CO and two years ago, my family hiked up to Devil's Head. I was huffing and puffing the whole time. I am looking forward to having a lighter body, so that these activities won't tire me out quite the same.

Yup, I still live here. I am just west of Boulder. Man I know that hike you went on. I can't wait to do it where I don't feel like I am going to fall over from a heart attack. Diamond Lake was as far as I could get last year. That's my profile picture ;-)

I only started my pre-op diet on Friday with surgery tomorrow (December 17th)' date=' but I keep reading about other people being on pre-op diets for weeks. Does anyone know why doctors favor one or the other? My BMI is high enough for insurance to cover this surgery and I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's), but I don't have any co-morbidities like diabetes, hypertension, etc.[/quote']

How are you preparing for tomorrow? Can we wear deodorant? I usually put baby powder "down there". What kind of things are u packing?

Yup' date=' I still live here. I am just west of Boulder. Man I know that hike you went on. I can't wait to do it where I don't feel like I am going to fall over from a heart attack. Diamond Lake was as far as I could get last year. That's my profile picture ;-)[/quote']

Your picture is actually what clued me in to your moniker. I wasn't thinking about COnative at all! I saw the picture and then I looked at your "name" differently. We are so blessed to have such beautiful mountains, but I come from the tiny part of NJ where the Appalachians are located. The Appalachians are older mountains and have eroded (are not as tall), but they are beautiful, too. I miss the deciduous trees (maples, oaks, beech, etc.) When we first moved to Colorado, I thought we should retire someday into the mountains, but after all the wildfires this past summer, I think if we stay here in retirement, I may want to stay where there are few trees. The Water situation is so crazy. We xeriscaped our back yard, but still need to do the front.

How are you preparing for tomorrow? Can we wear deodorant? I usually put baby powder "down there". What kind of things are u packing?

My specific pre-op instructions say:

Bathe or shower the morning of your surgery. Your hair should be clean.

No makeup, lotion, perfumes/colognes, jewelry or fingernail polish (day of surgery).

Underarm deodorant is okay.

Remove all glasses/contact lenses, dentures, jewelry, body piercings, and hair pins prior to surgery.

Wear comfortable clothing to hospital.

You must make arrangements for someone to drive you home from the hospital.

23-hour patient stay, so pack personal care items you will want after surgery. The hospital will provide a gown and towels.

Does this help? When you go for your EKG and pre-op work, your hospital will likely go over their specifications with you.

I always wondered about the differences on here with people's pre-op diet instructions too. The surgeons in my doctors office won't even give patients a surgery date until all of the preop weight is lost! Somehow that frustrates me, and it'd be more motivating to me if I had a date, and was working on getting the weight off for then. Ah well...hopefully all these little things will become a distant memory for us soon enough!

Hi

I am scheduled for Jan. 7 and have started my prop diet last week. My surgeon (Dr. Pompa) likes a 2 week high Protein lo carb diet for 2 weeks followed by full Fluid hi pro for 1 week, then clear Fluid for the last week. Her rationale is to shrink the liver for easier and safer acces to the stomach, as well to lose a few pounds prep (always a good idea) and to promote optimal nutrition and increase Protein stores for postoperative healing. I have to say at first I thought a little extreme, but as an RN I understand the concept, and even after less than a week on this diet I have dropped almost 3 lbs. and feel better than I have in a long time!

Hi

I am scheduled for Jan. 7 and have started my prop diet last week. My surgeon (Dr. Pompa) likes a 2 week high Protein lo carb diet for 2 weeks followed by full Fluid hi pro for 1 week' date=' then clear Fluid for the last week. Her rationale is to shrink the liver for easier and safer acces to the stomach, as well to lose a few pounds prep (always a good idea) and to promote optimal nutrition and increase Protein stores for postoperative healing. I have to say at first I thought a little extreme, but as an RN I understand the concept, and even after less than a week on this diet I have dropped almost 3 lbs. and feel better than I have in a long time![/quote']

My three-day only diet is also supposed to be for the purpose of shrinking my liver. I just think it is interesting that some surgeons start the diet so much earlier than others. I have to be honest with you. I am very overweight, but I am probably a lot more active than most people my size, so I don't expect to "feel better" until I lose a lot of weight. 3 lbs is great, but I don't think it is significant enough for me to feel like I have more energy. Does that make sense? Obviously any weight loss is beneficial and I congratulate you on your successful bariatric journey so far.

God bless!

Hi Colorado sleevers! I'm scheduled at university Hospital April 1st, and the coordinator said to expect my liquid pre-op diet to be 3 days. My preop appt is this Monday!

I've been on mine for three weeks and less than a week to go till surgery . My doctor told me that I'm going to have a fatty liver anyway ( I was like I'm why the month of dieting) I also asked about drinking as my mother passed away last week And I have the funeral Friday ( surgery Monday) but he said no more than three. And I will have to make up for it with 3 shakes a day and no vegetables . Win for me as Friday will be hard as it is and with all this not eating 3 should be enough for me