Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery scheduled! Normal to feel like I want to eat like a pig until then?

I had to do a pre-op of 6 days under 1,000 calories, then 3 days liquids. The week before that was a food and alcohol filled fun fest and I don't regret it one bit! I lost all I gained plus more on the pre-op so I still went into surgery lower than I started!

No.. My doctor makes patients be at a certain goal weight before they will even schedule the surgery. And they weigh you at every appointment leading up to the surgery. If you're even an ounce over your goal weight they reschedule your surgery. On the day of surgery you also have to be at or below goal weight once you're in the hospital gown. If not they will not do the surgery. You're not doing yourself any favors by eating all of that food before your surgery. It is just more weight you will have to lose afterwards. Think twice before you chow down.

Not only that, but eating all your favorites in abundance before surgery may make it that much harder to give up foods after surgery. Believe me, it is not easy to do this for some. A suggestion might be to gradually ease your way out of sugars, high starch, high carb, high fat and high sodium foods 1-2 months before surgery. By the time surgery comes around, you will be free of the temptations ( in theory). food funerals might be helpful if only they make you sick of the food so you don't want them post-op. I would recommend the former because it is healthier and better on your emotional state. Just my two cents.

I'm only craving the foods I didn't get to party with before my pre-op diet. The others I feel satiated after once last binge. Just me I guess.

And if I could have spent months weaning myself off foods I like, I wouldn't have needed the surgery. God knows I tried like a zillion times!

YES. Exactly what suepeeps said. I only had a 3 day pre-op diet but I got to where I no longer wanted food and starting the pre-op early was so easy and I felt great going in. But yep... I pigged out and did the food funeral and gained weight so watch yourself

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Onedayatatime365

Looking to connect with others who are also on the journey of better health. Post-Op Gastric Sleeve (4/11/24).
      · 0 replies
    • jparadigm

Happy Wednesday!

I hope everyone is having a lovely week so far! 
      It's been a bit of a struggle this last week...I'm hungry ALL the time.
      · 1 reply
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Have a great Wednesday too! Sorry you're hungry all the time, I'm pretty much the same..and I'm sick of eating the same food all the time.

• ChunkCat

Well, tomorrow I go in for an impromptu hiatal hernia repair after ending up in the ER over the weekend because I couldn't get food down and water was moving at a trickle... I've been having these symptoms on and off for a few weeks but Sunday was the worst by far and came with chest pain and trouble breathing. The ER PA thinks it is just esophagitis and that the surgeon and radiologist are wrong. But the bariatric surgeon swears it is a hernia, possibly a sliding one based on my symptoms. So he fit me into his schedule this week to repair it! I hope he's right and this sorts it out. He's going to do a scope afterwards to be sure there is nothing wrong with the esophagus. Here's hoping it all goes well!!
      · 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

omgsh!! Hope all goes well!! Keeping you in my thoughts!

2. gracesmommy2

Hope you’re doing well!

3. NickelChip

I hope it goes well! Sending positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

• jparadigm

Hello lovlies!
      Today is a beautiful day in west Michigan! I hope you all have a beautiful Tuesday and rest of your week!! 🤗
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches