Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Does anyone know about the kaiser options classes?

It depends on which kaiser and surgeon your assigned to but I had my surgery about 6 weeks after finishing the options class. My surgeon had a 3 month wait but I asked to be put on the cancelation list and was called 2 weeks later.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

It depends on which kaiser and surgeon your assigned to but I had my surgery about 6 weeks after finishing the options class. My surgeon had a 3 month wait but I asked to be put on the cancelation list and was called 2 weeks later.

Ok thanks, I'm just trying to get more of an idea. I was wondering also since I got the options class does that mean that I am approved for surgery or not quite yet?

No they are still going to make you jump through hoops before they approve you for surgery. You have to go to all 12 classes, turn in your food log every week and try to lose 10% of your body weight. During the 12 weeks they have you go for EKG, evaluation, etc. After all that, you see the doctor one more time and they refer you to the surgeon. I had my surgery in Los Angeles.

I had my surgery through Kaiser on 11/14/12. I honestly didn't feel like I jumped through hoops. I finished options in August. I'm am EXTremely greatful for the options classes and the entire process. This is a life changing operation and it's something that can't be rushed into. Patients who fail typically didn't have the pre surgery classes that Kaiser requires. I remember being anxious and just wanting to get the process over, but now that I'm sleeved I absolutely could not imagine how I would be staying on track if it wasn't for all the pre op information I was giving.

Oh...by the way, we didn't have to turn in our food logs although the stressed the importance of keeping one. I guess different kaisers have different rules

I did the Options program out of Panorama City, CA from September - December 2011 (12 week program) We had to turn in our food/exercise logs and lose 10% (although not everyone lost a full 10% but still qualified). It was a phenominal program, and I learned so much about the process, felt completely confident in the surgeon as well. I finished the program and got the call from the surgeons office in January 2012 at West L.A. Kaiser. I was approved and could have had my surgery in as little as two weeks, but I opted to wait until April because of work commitments. My surgery went well with no complications, plenty of follow up care. West LA is a fantastic facility to have surgery at, and I had Dr. Zelada-Getty.

Good luck!!

I went to the kaiser in Fresno . From the time I first asked my doctor for the gastric referral to my surgery day was 7 weeks .

I'm thinking my surgery will be maybe end of April if all goes well. That should re right depending on when I start my classes. :)

Classes , then the nutritionist , your mental evaluation , then you meet with the surgeon so he can give you your goal weight . Once you reach all then they will give you your surgery date . When I got out of my last orientation class , I started making appointments from the parking lot of kaiser . Good luck !!

I just hope I don't do all of this and then they say I don't qualify :(

You wouldn't be able to go to the options classes if you weren't considered a candidate. Every step of the process must be completed to move to the next step...do there's absolutely no way you will make it to the surgeon and he denies you...unless your pre op labs are abnormal . Keep in mind labs are done at class 2