Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bigger sips today...concerned

Um not measuring logging and paying attention to what I ate is what made me fat to begin with.

Why would I want to go back to that route?

Logging is Important. And if that's what it takes to stay thin and healthy ill continue every day.

Suppose for some that is true.

What made me fat is eating and eating and eating and eating. No amount of logging would have helped that. I knew how much I was eating. I was the one who put the food in my mouth.

But if that's what you need to be successful' date=' then by all means continue onwards. As many surgeons are saying, for many people that will become tiresome and become their demise. Maybe not after a year, but after 5 years, or 10 years. It's well documented with Olympic athletes.[/quote']

Fishy, I understand your points. But it's possible that logging will stop a person from eating. When you log your food, you see the damage done by those small innocuous treats. For many people, it can help keep them honest. It's not going to work for everyone, but it does have a high success rate. You keep saying the medical community is against it but I have seen no evidence of this. All the seminars, nutritional classes and the one support group meeting I went to all supported logging food for the chronically obese (I don't know about Olympic athletes).

If you read the stories of WLS patients who later regained weight, there are certain recurring themes amongst them. One of the most common is they quit logging their food. Even on this forum you can see it. Anytime you see a post by someone who is regaining weight after several months...or not losing....most of the time they are not logging so they really have no idea how much they are eating.

Oh and by the way logging is so easy with a smart phone and an app!! A trained monkey could do it! I also think it helps let you know if your eating to many carbs, fat, in a day, so u could adjust through the day. Hence my low carb low fat dinner ;)

I'm sure there is a lot of truth to what you're saying. And I'm sure there are some that will stick to that for the rest of their lives. However there will also be those who go crazy over that lifestyle and cause them to backtrack. This has happened with Olympic athletes after the games are over.

I don't know about the medical community overall' date=' but I know the surgeons I have spoken to. They believe that giving up on your favorite foods and turning eating into a science will lead to failure. They have hundreds of cases on their belt so i take their word for it.

Those who gained the weight back; it's not because they stopped logging. They didn't "not realize" that they were stuffing their face again. They made a conscious effort to ignore it.

As you previously mentioned, what worked in week 2 after surgery may not work in month 7. The same applies here. What works for you now in month 10 may not work for you in year 5. Or maybe it will? Either way, I hope you continue to succeed.[/quote']

Here's food for thought. Pertaining to WLS patients who later failed and regained weight....did they fail because they got tired of logging food, tracking calories and living a strict structured lifestyle? Or did they fail BECAUSE they quit living that lifestyle? I don't know myself and I doubt the patients who failed know. But I find the whole "cause and effect" theory interesting. I know in the past I've lost lots of weight only to regain it. 2 things that always led to my demise were... I quit logging and I quit weighing (myself, not the food). I also started eating badly but that was such a gradual change as to not be noticed. But the logging and weighing were 2 things I could have done something about immediately. I suppose one could get to the point where he or she quits logging. As long as there is no weight regain there shouldn't be a problem. But that's a long time down the road for me. I need to log my food to get there.

I think there is a huge difference in the mindset of former morbidly obese people and olympic athletes. Morbidly obese people who have turned to weight loss surgery to lose weight and become healthy recognize that a failure to monitor what they eat can and likely will result in gaining their weight back. They have a very different reason for needing to monitor their intake, and it is a very good habit to develop and stick with. I have never once read or heard a physician, nutritionist or any other person in the field of obesity say that tracking what you eat is a bad idea, I have always heard just the opposite. I know when I get lazy and quit tracking, I slip into bad habits and start to gain.

And, nobody has ever said that getting sleeved means giving up all the foods you love for the rest of your life. That is just crazy talk. I got the sleeve to use as a tool in my weight loss. I haven't given up a single food I enjoy. Instead, thanks to my sleeve and tracking, I never deny myself anything and am able to enjoy the foods I love in moderation. If I want a piece of cake, I enjoy that piece of cake, not the whole cake like I may have done in the past. If anyone gets the sleeve thinking they have to give up all the foods they love, in my opinion they are setting themselves up for failure.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Here's food for thought. Pertaining to WLS patients who later failed and regained weight....did they fail because they got tired of logging food' date=' tracking calories and living a strict structured lifestyle? Or did they fail BECAUSE they quit living that lifestyle? I don't know myself and I doubt the patients who failed know. But I find the whole "cause and effect" theory interesting. I know in the past I've lost lots of weight only to regain it. 2 things that always led to my demise were... I quit logging and I quit weighing (myself, not the food). I also started eating badly but that was such a gradual change as to not be noticed. But the logging and weighing were 2 things I could have done something about immediately. I suppose one could get to the point where he or she quits logging. As long as there is no weight regain there shouldn't be a problem. But that's a long time down the road for me. I need to log my food to get there.[/quote']

I know that when I started tracking my food intake preop I shocked myself with how much I was actually consuming. I was taking in almost 1000 calories daily in soda and espresso alone. No wonder I got up to 326 pounds. I for one will be tracking my intake for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I'm 33 days post op and have lost 31 pounds and have been great full to be able to drink so much Water ( 10-12 glasses a day) with no problem. food doesn't slide down as easy, which is a good thing, as I have to continue to eat slower and slower.

Maybe you need go back to the file in your brain from your first few weeks. It can be overwhelming.

Nothing wrong with sugarcoating in the first few weeks, I think beginners need that. Even though I asked my doctor why he thought patients had problems and his answer was doctor error most of the time. I still get nervous I am not following every thing I need to be doing, and something is going to go wrong. I am going to check my "diet meal plan" for week 2, 3 and 4 again today. I was hardly eating anything the last week and suddenly I am eating more (3 tablespoons a day vs 5 tablespoons a day), it feels easy going down. Yes, we all get nervous about gaining weight in the beginning.

It is easy being several months out, years out. You are on easy street. We are on intense street.

As someone who isn't on "easy street" because I am only 10 weeks out of surgery. I must say that this is a support group, not a hugging circle. Support groups are used for difficult healing work. Sugarcoating isn't something that everyone does because everyone is different. Deal with it.

I don't sugarcoat anything, neither did my doctor or my nutritionist. Could you imagine if they did how many people would come out of this surgery feeling like they had just made the worst mistake of their lives because their surgeon sugarcoated the procedure?!?!?!

Then on top of it all the original poster lashes out at a veteran response because after asking a question that, honestly, has been posted here a hundred times she has "done her research" and how dare he question that!

Seriously people, IF YOU KEEP ATTACKING THE HELPFUL RESPONSES OF VETERAN POSTERS THEY ARE GOING TO STOP HELPING YOU!

Ok.

First. I didn't lash out at Butterbeans advice. I was upset at the snide remarks that he made that had nothing to do with the question.

Second. So....from your stand point if a question is repeated then the person asking must be an idiot or didnt do any research. Do you not think that maybe a newbie hasn't seen the question asked, or immediately after surgery is more hypersensitive to every little thing they are going through and just needs some reassurance?

Third...I thanked butterbean 3 DAYS AGO for all the advice he gives and ASKED FOR THIS THREAD TO STOP because it was getting out of hand.

Please stay out of what should have been dropped days ago.

twoolley,

It didn't. It's been said already...the thread is days old. Let it die.

want2live-- have a great day today!

Thank you for your advise butterbean!!!!!!! I needed to hear that!!!!!!! :))