Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bigger sips today...concerned

Maybe you need go back to the file in your brain from your first few weeks. It can be overwhelming.

Nothing wrong with sugarcoating in the first few weeks' date=' I think beginners need that. Even though I asked my doctor why he thought patients had problems and his answer was doctor error most of the time. I still get nervous I am not following every thing I need to be doing, and something is going to go wrong. I am going to check my "diet meal plan" for week 2, 3 and 4 again today. I was hardly eating anything the last week and suddenly I am eating more (3 tablespoons a day vs 5 tablespoons a day), it feels easy going down. Yes, we all get nervous about gaining weight in the beginning.

It is easy being several months out, years out. You are on easy street. We are on intense street.[/quote']

How far out are you? Easy street? Do you know what you are talking about? No. Wait till your restriction is gone and your capacity to eat has doubled or tripled and you go from losing 20 pounds a month to 5. And your sleeve can tolerate any sort of food with no upset. It's work. Not easy.

I keep reading that this is a support forum, but everyone is always asking for information, not support. Especially people who have just had surgery. That's why I always get confused.

Guys, let's all take a minute to regroup here! This is a bit out of sorts for this forum. First off, i dont believe Butterthebean was trying to be mean spirited. He has been on this site for awhile and always seems to have great advice. I know it's nerve wracking during the first few months and there are lots of questions and uncertainties that we all seek answers to. If the anger stems from the "ledge" comment then let's just move past it. We are here to support each other not tear each other apart. Second, for the person who says we are on "easy street"...I think you are just as guilty of using a play on words as butter was by saying step back from the ledge. Lets not throw stones. I'm a bit bothered that you assume that because I am 8 months out of surgery and have experienced many things, that my weight loss journey is somehow an easy task! Every day presents a new challenge. My body reacts and changes DAILY and there are many days that I'm emotionally drained and I come to this site for support and advice. I certainly hope that when you reach 8 months or a year out you can consider yourself on "easy street." i find that my life is 10x the struggle it was when i was a month or so out.

As a user of this site I have to realize that not all the feedback I get will be what I need at that exact moment but I certainly wouldn't start a tirade over it and exile myself or others from returning to this site. You have a choice to either say thank you for the advice and use it or to ignore what's not useful and move on. We say we are educated but yet we ask questions that, had we really educated ourselves, we would know there is no easy answer to. I am guilty of this too! The answer to most of the questions posted by newbies and old timers alike is this, "there is no real answer." everyones journey is different. Take this response for what you will. I want to wish each of you luck and success on your journey. Have a great day everyone!

I certainly hope that when you reach 8 months or a year out you can consider yourself on "easy street." i find that my life is 10x the struggle it was when i was a month or so out.

As I said before...easy street and intense street. Easy Street, I just meant that you are obviously more comfortable with your sleeve than people that are newbies. I will consider myself on easy street when I get to eight months. That is just the kind of person I am, I have already decided that I will feel that way. It is not an option.

How far out are you? Easy street? Do you know what you are talking about? No. Wait till your restriction is gone and your capacity to eat has doubled or tripled and you go from losing 20 pounds a month to 5. And your sleeve can tolerate any sort of food with no upset. It's work. Not easy.

Actually so far it has been great. As I have said three or four times now, what I meant by easy is that my gosh it better be easier living with a sleeve for a stomach after several months, than it is in the very beginning when a newly sleeved person is nervous about everything they do. I have a friend that had the surgery one year ago, she is my inspiration. She leads a normal life, healthy life and is happy. I had an excellent doctor, I haven't had one little issue, and I expect that to continue. Positive thinking my boy, that is all I got.

This has gotten ridiculous.

I have been on this site for a long time, reading everything I can, and butter has never been anything but helpful and informative. If you don't understand sarcasm and aren't able to control your own snotty remarks and refrain from accusing someone that is just trying to help, then perhaps this site really isn't for you. There are other sleeve forums, and they certainly are not one size fits all, so maybe there is a better one out there for some of you who are so incredibly offended by butters joking.

Seriously, enough with the drama. If you don't like something, leave. Last I checked you had to be an adult to have this surgery so we should all act like it from here on out.

Actually so far it has been great. As I have said three or four times now' date=' what I meant by easy is that my gosh it better be easier living with a sleeve for a stomach after several months, than it is in the very beginning when a newly sleeved person is nervous about everything they do. I have a friend that had the surgery one year ago, she is my inspiration. She leads a normal life, healthy life and is happy. I had an excellent doctor, I haven't had one little issue, and I expect that to continue. Positive thinking my boy, that is all I got.[/quote']

I think some things are easier, but there are a whole host of other obstacles that come along. That doesn't mean you won't do well, I sincerely hope everyone does. I am only here to help, and I think any obstacle can be overcome. But the first step is to not panic. That is what I read in the OP, that her surgery was not done properly because her sleeve was too big. There was a follow up post by another person expressing the same panic. And there are similar posts every day. My message to them was calm down and be objective.

This has gotten ridiculous.

I have been on this site for a long time, reading everything I can, and butter has never been anything but helpful and informative. If you don't understand sarcasm and aren't able to control your own snotty remarks and refrain from accusing someone that is just trying to help, then perhaps this site really isn't for you. There are other sleeve forums, and they certainly are not one size fits all, so maybe there is a better one out there for some of you who are so incredibly offended by butters joking.

Seriously, enough with the drama. If you don't like something, leave. Last I checked you had to be an adult to have this surgery so we should all act like it from here on out.

Why did you feel the need to stir the pot again?

I think some things are easier, but there are a whole host of other obstacles that come along. That doesn't mean you won't do well, I sincerely hope everyone does. I am only here to help, and I think any obstacle can be overcome. But the first step is to not panic. That is what I read in the OP, that her surgery was not done properly because her sleeve was too big. There was a follow up post by another person expressing the same panic. And there are similar posts every day. My message to them was calm down and be objective.

You are probably a very nice person =-) As a customer service rep, I won't ever use the words calm down when someone is upset, that will just put a whole new spin on things.

What I am learning from here quickly, research your surgeon. Research your surgeon! I went to another state for mine. I have some of the top hospitals in my area, but I decided to go with my friend's surgeon. He has a passion for helping people, he is not in it just for the money.

LOL. No offense man but we could have just done that before surgery if that's the route we wanted to go. We got the sleeve for a reason.

Yep, I've heard that statement many times, but always from someone who hasn't had surgery or just had it. At 6 months, 9 months or 12 months the sleeve does not work the same way it does immediately post op. It is not a backstop. You are not meant to eat till you hit your sleeve limit every time. It is merely a parachute in case you do over eat. At least that's how I look at it. We all are different. Read the stories of vets who are a year or more out. They all say the same thing, you have to be in control of what you eat or you will regain the weight. The sleeve does not permanently cure food addictions, eating disorders or bad decision making, and there is not a person here who doesn't have some combination of those elements.

GiGi, enough, please. We don't need another supportive poster being chased away, or newbies being wary about posting. We've already lost many members because people reading posts that are meant to be supportive twist them around, and blast the posters. Written language can be construed so easily and adapted to ones personal views.

If you were offended, ok fine. You've made your point. He said he didn't mean to be offensive so stop beating a dead horse. Many didn't find it offensive but regardless, this doesn't need to be turned into a debacle.

This whole thread has become hysterical. Lets now beat up on Gigi for beating up on butter who beat up on the OP!

I suggest everyone stop with the personal attacks. Please remember our rules of being polite and attacking the idea, not the person.

When you come here for advice or support you are generally going to receive a lot of different viewpoints. When I just started out with my sleeve, I loved hearing from the "old timers" as they had already been through what I was going through and were a great source of information.

The sleeve is a great weight loss tool, but lets remember, it is just that, a tool. Don't fool yourself into believing that it will just magically take all your excess weight off for you. You still need to eat healthy and exercise. And, they sleeve your stomach, not your brain. So, yes, for those of us out of the honeymoon phase, it becomes even more important to watch everything we eat and make sure we maintain good habits or those pounds will begin to creep back on again. I have learned that measuring and tracking every bite of food that goes into my mouth is vital to my continued success. Better to develop good habits in the beginning as opposed to have to try and figure it out later after you start gaining.

Sent from my iPad using VST

Interesting that the original question was simply was it normal to be able to take slightly larger sips at a week out. That's it. Nothing about nutrition or a bad sleeve or what will happen 3-6-9 moths from now. Nothing about measuring or this being a tool or anything like that.

Just is it normal?

I got my answer.

Thanks to those with great advice and experience.

Lets drop this thread now please.

I suggest everyone stop with the personal attacks. Please remember our rules of being polite and attacking the idea' date=' not the person.

When you come here for advice or support you are generally going to receive a lot of different viewpoints. When I just started out with my sleeve, I loved hearing from the "old timers" as they had already been through what I was going through and were a great source of information.

The sleeve is a great weight loss tool, but lets remember, it is just that, a tool. Don't fool yourself into believing that it will just magically take all your excess weight off for you. You still need to eat healthy and exercise. And, they sleeve your stomach, not your brain. So, yes, for those of us out of the honeymoon phase, it becomes even more important to watch everything we eat and make sure we maintain good habits or those pounds will begin to creep back on again. I have learned that measuring and tracking every bite of food that goes into my mouth is vital to my continued success. Better to develop good habits in the beginning as opposed to have to try and figure it out later after you start gaining.

Sent from my iPad using VST[/quote']

Don't you know by now that measuring and logging your food will only cause you to cheat? And that trying to be disciplined is a road to failure. The only way to true success is to eat whatever you want and let the sleeve sort it out. Since there is no clear consensus amongst the medical profession, you should choose whatever path seems easiest because it will surely work for you THIS TIME.