Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Made my decision and sceduled my surgery for 01/21/13

I have battled with my weight for years like many. And not unlike those who are battling with the scale I have issues with depression, self esteem, and health. I have tried sooo many diets starting from freshman year in high school. Some I had success and others none at all. So much money wasted on trainers, memberships, special food, medications, videos, equipment, therapist and no long term results. Granted some techniques I didn't give it my all and others once I started to see the results that became the trigger to start eating again.

After a year of research and attending seminars I decided to have the Gastric Plication done...in Mexico with Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I am excited and nervous. Surgery is scheduled for January 21, 2013. My starting weight now is 210. Surgery date it should be 200. My highest was 240. I've lost 40lbs through the HGC shots and diet medications that I've been on for a year.

I hope to have long term success and recover from some of the ailments that are preventing me from living my life to the fullest...

There is no doubt that this is a big decision and it sounds like you have thought it out thoroughly. I, myself and currently considering the gastric sleeve. I'm in that stage where I've done tons of research and just weighing the pros and cons of actually doing it. Good luck with your surgery and I look forward to your updates.

There is no doubt that this is a big decision and it sounds like you have thought it out thoroughly. I' date=' myself and currently considering the gastric sleeve. I'm in that stage where I've done tons of research and just weighing the pros and cons of actually doing it. Good luck with your surgery and I look forward to your updates.[/quote']

It definitely is a big decision. When I started my research I was initially going with the lap band. I know two people who have done the sleeve and they have had major results seemingly over night. I didn't want the hassle of going back and forth to get it filled and wasn't thrilled of the idea of something foreign in my body. Continue to research and decide what best works for you. I will definitely keep updating step by step.

I have battled with my weight for years like many. And not unlike those who are battling with the scale I have issues with depression' date=' self esteem, and health. I have tried sooo many diets starting from freshman year in high school. Some I had success and others none at all. So much money wasted on trainers, memberships, special food, medications, videos, equipment, therapist and no long term results. Granted some techniques I didn't give it my all and others once I started to see the results that became the trigger to start eating again.

After a year of research and attending seminars I decided to have the Gastric Plication done...in Mexico with Dr. Ariel Ortiz. I am excited and nervous. Surgery is scheduled for January 21, 2013. My starting weight now is 210. Surgery date it should be 200. My highest was 240. I've lost 40lbs through the HGC shots and diet medications that I've been on for a year.

I hope to have long term success and recover from some of the ailments that are preventing me from living my life to the fullest...[/quote']

I had the same thing done by dr ortiz dec 3! Good luck! You'll do great!

I had the same thing done by dr ortiz dec 3! Good luck! You'll do great!

How are you doing so far?

I have battled with my weight for years like many. And not unlike those who are battling with the scale I have issues with depression' date=' self esteem, and health. I have tried sooo many diets starting from freshman year in high school. Some I had success and others none at all. So much money wasted on trainers, memberships, special food, medications, videos, equipment, therapist and no long term results. Granted some techniques I didn't give it my all and others once I started to see the results that became the trigger to start eating again.

I hope to have long term success and recover from some of the ailments that are preventing me from living my life to the fullest...[/quote']

Good for you! On the postop forum delta_girl has posted information about medical conditions that WLS helps, and one is depression. Many, many people here suffer/suffered from depression. I applaud you for taking care of yourself!! Good luck.

How are you doing so far?

I am doing really good. Your post could have been mine exactly... Even the weight! I still struggle with head hunger/ mourning food a little as I am still in the liquid phase so I hear that will pass when I can eat some real food. Ask any questions you need to. I was excited/nervous/second guessing/ etc. now I am here and done with being obese/ not big enough lol. So here I am, haven't told a soul except my hubby;)

Good for you! On the postop forum delta_girl has posted information about medical conditions that WLS helps' date=' and one is depression. Many, many people here suffer/suffered from depression. I applaud you for taking care of yourself!! Good luck.[/quote']

Thank you! I will definitely check her thread out.

I am doing really good. Your post could have been mine exactly... Even the weight! I still struggle with head hunger/ mourning food a little as I am still in the liquid phase so I hear that will pass when I can eat some real food. Ask any questions you need to. I was excited/nervous/second guessing/ etc. now I am here and done with being obese/ not big enough lol. So here I am' date=' haven't told a soul except my hubby;)[/quote']

How was the traveling experience and the stay at the hospital? My mother who is a nurse keeps giving me the cons of doing this. She's from Cuba so she is extra scared about going to Mexico. I've shown her OCCs website but you know that could be all for show. But since you've been there you could give me a better picture if what it's really like.

I'm thinking of scheduling on 1/21 with Ortiz too. I'm still trying to decide though. I'm not sure if I should save 5k by going to Mexico or just have surgery in the states.

I'm thinking of scheduling on 1/21 with Ortiz too. I'm still trying to decide though. I'm not sure if I should save 5k by going to Mexico or just have surgery in the states.

It's abt 10,000 -12,000 if I do it here. I think it's worth the savings if the end result is the same. Another 5,000 is a lot for most to come up with.

It's abt 10' date='000 -12,000 if I do it here. I think it's worth the savings if the end result is the same. Another 5,000 is a lot for most to come up with.[/quote']

Honestly it was fine. The motel and OCC were both very clean and comfortable. OCC reminded me of our hospitals here in Canada. Everything was clean and up to date. I met with four different doctors there. All were very professional, spoke very good English and explained everything to me. I was more nervous about being in TJ per say as there was some big soccer game that TJ won and the town was a little crazy that night;) I felt safe the whole time though and everyone was very polite and helpful:) dr ortiz is a bit more expensive then some other drs there but to me it was worth it!

Honestly it was fine. The motel and OCC were both very clean and comfortable. OCC reminded me of our hospitals here in Canada. Everything was clean and up to date. I met with four different doctors there. All were very professional' date=' spoke very good English and explained everything to me. I was more nervous about being in TJ per say as there was some big soccer game that TJ won and the town was a little crazy that night;) I felt safe the whole time though and everyone was very polite and helpful:) dr ortiz is a bit more expensive then some other drs there but to me it was worth it![/quote']

I would definitely be concerned during soccer time but otherwise I think that it is safe. I am more at ease that the facilities are safe and comparable to other facilities. I didn't shop around so I didn't know that there are others who are cheaper. I'm confident though that I've made the right choice.

Since I did though my mind has been playing tricks on me and I'm hungry all dang day! I typically eat 1 meal a day and maybe a snack. I'm eating everything I see like there's no tomorrow lol I know that can't be good?

I would definitely be concerned during soccer time but otherwise I think that it is safe. I am more at ease that the facilities are safe and comparable to other facilities. I didn't shop around so I didn't know that there are others who are cheaper. I'm confident though that I've made the right choice.

Since I did though my mind has been playing tricks on me and I'm hungry all dang day! I typically eat 1 meal a day and maybe a snack. I'm eating everything I see like there's no tomorrow lol I know that can't be good?

That's totally normal! I did the same thing!:)

Good luck Bos!

I'm having my VSG on 1/21/13 as well! (with Dr. Almanza). 34 days and counting!!