Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I feel like such a failure

Ok, I have a question I was just going to post. How do you know you feel full? Today is 2 weeks for me and I am on soft/mushy stuff. I was eating my egg beaters the morning and I can feel it in me but then I still feel a grumble. Are the grumbles because of healing or really hunger? Over about 30-45 mins I ate a 4oz portion cup of egg beaters with a slice of ff cheese and ketchup. Sounds gross but it's good. I just wonder what it really feels like to be full. Sometimes I get a glimpse but not all that I eat.

Ok' date=' I have a question I was just going to post. How do you know you feel full? Today is 2 weeks for me and I am on soft/mushy stuff. I was eating my egg beaters the morning and I can feel it in me but then I still feel a grumble. Are the grumbles because of healing or really hunger? Over about 30-45 mins I ate a 4oz portion cup of egg beaters with a slice of ff cheese and ketchup. Sounds gross but it's good. I just wonder what it really feels like to be full. Sometimes I get a glimpse but not all that I eat.[/quote']

Good question! I too would like to know. I sometimes don't eat enough because I'm scared to get sick. I'm on wk 3...

hugs,<br />alma

Good question! I too would like to know. I sometimes don't eat enough because I'm scared to get sick. I'm on wk 3...

hugs' date='<br />alma[/quote']

You won't get the 'full' feeling while on mushies. Once you start on solid food, you'll know. I burp. Some people hiccup. Some just really need to pay attention to the feeling.

I REALLY like twolley's suggestion of dividing his portions in half. That forces you to rest in between. And oftentimes you'll find that you don't need the second portion.

When you do start on solids, always start w Protein first. Always!

Good luck! :-)

I gained 7 pounds in 1 week but not sure if it was because I lost a lot the 2 week before. My weight loss has been crazy which doesn't help me at all. The first 3 weeks I lost 19 pounds then I didn't lose anything for 5 weeks' date=' then for 2 weeks I lost 2 or 3 pounds every day. Tomorrow will be 3 months and I have lost 36 pounds which isn't too bad but when I read people my size are losing 60-90 pounds the first 3 months it drives me crazy.

Yes, pizza is not a good diet food and I have messed up a lot lately but I will go back to what I know. I use to eat smart ones but my NUT doesn't want me to eat preservatives, this is hard when I can't cook. I never know what to eat anymore, she has me on a 1,000 calorie diet which seems like a lot compared to how much others eat but it's obviously less than I use to eat.

I may not have been mentally ready for surgery but didn't have a choice. I was diagnosed with a head condition which doctors don't know what causes it but find its mostly overweight women in childbearing age that get it. The Fluid surrounding my brain doesn't drain down the spine like its suppose to so everyday when the body makes more Fluid it puts pressure on my eyes. I was having spinal taps every 3 months and losing my vision on top of taking medicine that made me lose my memory.

I have to lose this weight and need to find the strength to fight off all temptations, I just wish I was one of the people that the weight just fell off.

Thank you all for the suggestions and support!

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

Hi! Ok, by the way it sounds, you were kinda thrown into this surgery with very little warning. That's tough. But you can do this. You have to for your health. Unfortunately, no matter how people want to disguise this, it IS still a 'diet.' A diet is any form of eating. So you need to remove the dread that the word 'diet' creates in your mind.

You do need to watch what you eat. You won't magically lose weight if you don't focus on the correct foods to eat. Yes, the sleeve does limit you, but you could still graze on junk all day and not lose weight.

You haven't stretched your sleeve. I suspect that you have found foods that go down easier than others. Honestly, I think you should find a WLS support group. I think that meeting with people in the same situation will help you. Don't compare yourself to people on here. It's not realistic because you don't know what their daily lifestyle is, or age, or circumstances are. If you've dieted your whole life, then your metabolism is prob more stubborn than most. Unfortunately, exercise is the best way to rev it up! Gotta move. :-)

Good luck!!

Ditto to everything that Doxieville said. Remember that everybody and every body is different. It's exciting to see the big weight changes in a short period of time, but that's just a flashy headline. Don't get discouraged, this is a journey that may take some side trips along the way. :rolleyes:

I gained 7 pounds in 1 week but not sure if it was because I lost a lot the 2 week before. My weight loss has been crazy which doesn't help me at all. The first 3 weeks I lost 19 pounds then I didn't lose anything for 5 weeks' date=' then for 2 weeks I lost 2 or 3 pounds every day. Tomorrow will be 3 months and I have lost 36 pounds which isn't too bad but when I read people my size are losing 60-90 pounds the first 3 months it drives me crazy.

Yes, pizza is not a good diet food and I have messed up a lot lately but I will go back to what I know. I use to eat smart ones but my NUT doesn't want me to eat preservatives, this is hard when I can't cook. I never know what to eat anymore, she has me on a 1,000 calorie diet which seems like a lot compared to how much others eat but it's obviously less than I use to eat.

I may not have been mentally ready for surgery but didn't have a choice. I was diagnosed with a head condition which doctors don't know what causes it but find its mostly overweight women in childbearing age that get it. The Fluid surrounding my brain doesn't drain down the spine like its suppose to so everyday when the body makes more Fluid it puts pressure on my eyes. I was having spinal taps every 3 months and losing my vision on top of taking medicine that made me lose my memory.

I have to lose this weight and need to find the strength to fight off all temptations, I just wish I was one of the people that the weight just fell off.

Thank you all for the suggestions and support!

I really wouldn't stress about how much weight you are losing sweetie, some people lose faster than others. I am ( weeks out and lost 26 pounds and my dietician is delighted with this. Don't let the progress of others get you down as its your journey that your on. Just live in the knowledge that if you do everything your being told to do then you will get there, it may take longer but let's face it, we didn't get where we are over night so its not going to come off over night. Chin up and remember, we are all individuals. Xxxx

Pseudotumor Cerebri, that is what that condition is called. I have it as well. Had to get a lumbar peritoneal shunt placement done. Losing the weight has helped greatly, it is resolved. I don't get the headaches anymore. Eye damage is done and can't be reversed, thank god for glasses! lol.

Your not a failure, you just have to get a handle onto yourself and get back into check. I think you know what to do, but it's tough to get back into it. Its easy for any of us to sit here and say, just do this or just do that, it's not that simple. You have to be able to bite the bullet and do it. But it has to be your choice. God knows I can't go back to dieting. . .it's really really tough. I just watch how much goes in, make sure I exercise somewhat, drink lots of Water, and weigh every week to make sure that the weight doesn't creep up.

Pseudotumor Cerebri' date=' that is what that condition is called. I have it as well. Had to get a lumbar peritoneal shunt placement done. Losing the weight has helped greatly, it is resolved. I don't get the headaches anymore. Eye damage is done and can't be reversed, thank god for glasses! lol.

Your not a failure, you just have to get a handle onto yourself and get back into check. I think you know what to do, but it's tough to get back into it. Its easy for any of us to sit here and say, just do this or just do that, it's not that simple. You have to be able to bite the bullet and do it. But it has to be your choice. God knows I can't go back to dieting. . .it's really really tough. I just watch how much goes in, make sure I exercise somewhat, drink lots of Water, and weigh every week to make sure that the weight doesn't creep up.[/quote']

A shunt was my next step but I heard so many say it slipped and how many problems they had with it, I did not want to have any type of surgery but chose to have the sleeve in hopes of not needing the shunt. My surgeon took me off of diamox since he didn't want me losing weight too quickly and my neurologist agreed since I was dehydrated. I think I still need the medicine since I have headaches and I see spots. Pseudo tumor seems to effect me losing weight, I haven't been able to keep any weight off since I was diagnosed, one day to the next I can go up or down 10 pounds.

I am recommitting myself to make this sleeve work. Nothing has ever come easy to me so I just need to fight harder.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Ok, I have a question I was just going to post. How do you know you feel full? Today is 2 weeks for me and I am on soft/mushy stuff. I was eating my egg beaters the morning and I can feel it in me but then I still feel a grumble. Are the grumbles because of healing or really hunger? Over about 30-45 mins I ate a 4oz portion cup of egg beaters with a slice of ff cheese and ketchup. Sounds gross but it's good. I just wonder what it really feels like to be full. Sometimes I get a glimpse but not all that I eat.

hugs,<br />alma

One of the reasons most of us have gained so much weight is because we stopped listening to our fullness (satiety) signal. I didn't find it easy to learn to feel this signal again.

Here are a couple of things that may help...

Divide up the amount of food you should be eating and only put that amount of food on your plate.

Do not eat to the point that you are uncomfortable or to the point that you need to unbutton your pants, stand up, etc. Use the waistline of your clothes as a guide.

Stop as soon as you feel any stretch in your stomach. Learn to eat to the point that you are satisfied and not necessarily full. The Japanese have a saying, Hara hachi bu, which means eat until you are 8/10ths full -or- belly 80% full.

Use a little visualization. In the middle of your meal, visualize a healthy snack. Ask yourself if the idea of a small, healthy snack is appealing. If it is, you may not be full. If it is not appealing, you may be satisfied

Smell and pay attention to the taste of your food regularly while you eat. Are you enjoying every bite or are you just trying to get in a few more bites. If it is no longer appealing, tastes plan/dull, greasy, heavy, then you may be nearing satiation.

Other advice about chewing well, eating slowly, not watching tv while eating, watching your fork as you take every bite, etc - all of these things help you be 'present' while you are eating and extends the time of your meal to help your brain feel as full as your stomach.

I rarely ever eat to the point that I am 'full.' I eat to the point that I am satisfied. I learned how to do this from a book called "I Can Make You Thin." by Paul McKenna. You can get it for a few dollars on Amazon. It has a lot of advice for healthy eating hygiene habits.

I just want you to know my first 8 weeks. I learned about head hunger..... I stalled at 3 weeks the 4th week I gained 5 pounds and I was so depressed as well .... The best advice I needed to here then was get rid of the scale… also I bought 2 oz baby portion cups and started packing 2 of them filled with lunch meats and whatever I could fit in them...... Eat the one for Breakfast and one for lunch then dinner about 3 oz. I started losing again. Since then I have averaged about 12 pounds a month. I never have figured out what full feels like.. I am 5 1/2 months out. Eventually you will find yourself wanting something because you have a visual cue or someone else is enjoying that tempting food. It takes time to change. We are all in this together.

You are doing Good... Focus on your health and feeling better.

Be good to yourself :-)

Yes' date=' pizza is not a good diet food and I have messed up a lot lately but I will go back to what I know. I use to eat smart ones but my NUT doesn't want me to eat preservatives,

The Smart Ones are better than pizza. Sometimes you can't dive into the deep end of the pool, you have to wade in gradually. Eating better is better than nothing. If you can eat the smart ones, do it. You also say you don't like fish or beef, do you like vegetables? There are a whole host of veggies with Protein...particularly legumes. Also most nuts are high in Protein. Raw almonds are great for you. My point is you don't have to resign yourself to a life of Protein shakes if you hate them.

I agree with Doxie...it's doubtful you stretched your sleeve. It's way more likely you're eating slider foods which will prevent you from losing weight. Cut out the sodas, carry a Water bottle with you all the time. And check with your surgeons office, they should have some info on a local support group. The meetings could definitely help you.