Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

i think some people go over board

My Dr told me not to listen to alot of what people say he told me in time you can eat anything but it has to be small he said you can have a slice of pizza you can go out for a nice steak dinner you just can't eat like a pig listed not everyone is the same so if you can't eat it doesn't mean i can't

That is true, it is what I have gathered from the boards. If something doesn't agree with one person it doesn't mean it wont agree with the next. Also, everyone heals at different paces and everyone's doctors and post op eating instructions are different.

The bottom line though is to listen to your doctor because he knows best for you :)

Yep, I'm 2 years out and I can eat anything I want - I just don't/ For the most part the hunger is gone, I am not feeling starved like I used to, when I get hungry now it's just a little bit and not the gnawing hunger I used to have. I do eat a lot less but it's still easy to eat too mcuh and it takes just a few extra calories to start packing on the pounds again.

My doctor told me once I am in the solids stage I can basically eat whatever I want, just in smaller quantities... He said your body will tell you what it can and can't tolerate... If you listen to it and don't over eat you will be successful.

The only thing my preop paperwork was very careful to point out was to be careful with very fiberous vegetables like steamed asparagus or cellery since they're hard to chew small enough.

Now PHYSICALLY that's the only thing they were concerned about... NUTRITIONALLY is another matter... I just want to make sure I'm getting adequate nutrition and losing a lot of weight.... Once I'm on maintainence, I'll look at adding a slice of of pizza here and there. The sleeve will help keep me eating too much in one sitting, but I still have to be in control enough to say "no thanks" at times when calorically it wouldn't be a smart choice.

I don't think they are going overboard. I think we are all different in what works for us.

About 8 weeks after surgery, I could eat just about anything I wanted in smaller portions. There are some things that agree with me more than others. If I just eat smaller portions and cut out the Snacks, I will lose weight because I have so much to lose. On the other hand, if I cut the carbs and greatly increase my Protein and Water, I will lose weight much faster. All of this was true before and after surgery.

Here is where you have a personal choice to make. You can lose weight faster or slower depending on which route you chose to go. Personally, I don't feel that either route is right or wrong. The one thing you MUST do is figure out how to be healthier for a life time.

I can eat the same things as before, but I also chose not to do so. I made a choice to use the sleeve as a tool to correct the bad habits that led me to this point in my life. Since I am not starving and having cravings all the time, I use it to make better choices. Before surgery, I ate a lot of fast food, drank nothing but soda or sweet tea, and could eat candy, chips, ice cream or Pasta as a meal (often my only 'meal' of the day). Now, I get in a Protein Shake in the morning mixed with my coffee. For other meals, I eat my protein first, veggies second, fruit third, and treats (breads, sweets, etc) last if there is room. I rarely skip a meal. I drink more water and less soda. I do have a treat most days of the week - half can of soda, part of a candy bar, some ice cream. I take my Vitamins. I move my body more. This is what works for me. I know I could lose a lot more weight if I was a more diligent, but I am not in a hurry. I am happy every day.

I have been using other ppls posts as information on what works for them. I know I will be different but do appreciate their input. Everyone's journey is different.

I'm not sure I understand the original post. Who is going overboard and how? Are you saying people who decide to eliminate chips, ice cream and cake from their diets forever are going overboard? Yes I could eat those things, but after all I've been through why would I want to? After surgery you can try to eat all the bad foods you ate before surgery and hope the sleeve limits your portions, or you can learn to eat healthy.

I think this is probably true, but it also depends on the person. Someone who has serious food addictions may not be able to just eat a reasonable amount of pizza because its a trigger thing for them. I think we cannot concern ourselves too much with other peoples rules. I never say much about other peoples diet unless they are clearly asking for help and I can tell that they are having way too much sugar or something which is undeniably a problem.