Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Distance Runners

As promised I'm reporting back after my run with my new shoes. HUGE difference! I mean HUGE!!!

Today is my first day back on road running as opposed to treadmill since my calf injury almost 2 months ago. I was worried I would even make the short run. I'm pleased to report that I made it' date=' my calf was great and even better no hip pain. Feet felt good and I could have kept going, but trying to stick to this marathon training schedule and follow their guidelines. Only 3.25 today, but felt so wonderful!!!

I can't wait for the next run on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

This is great news!! I'm glad to hear that ur on the mend. :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks Danyell!!!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

That's awesome! I wish that I could choose when the high hit. I love how I feel afterwards. I wish I felt that throughout the entire run. ;) was it a trail run?? If so' date=' ur gonna find that running on flat surfaces is easy peasy.

Sent from my iPhone using VST[/quote']

No it was on these country roads around here. Funny how good I felt that day....tonight I did 3.5 and wanted to quit practically from the start. But I consider it a moral victory that I neither quit nor walked. I don't mind walking, and I kinda plan on doing a little when these runs start getting really long in a few weeks. But I don't want to walk on my short Run day. Looking at my upcoming 1/2 marathon schedule, I feel that same intimidation I felt when first looked ahead at the C25K. I gotta keep reminding myself how well that turned out.

post-17584-1381366245709_thumb.jpg

No it was on these country roads around here. Funny how good I felt that day....tonight I did 3.5 and wanted to quit practically from the start. But I consider it a moral victory that I neither quit nor walked. I don't mind walking, and I kinda plan on doing a little when these runs start getting really long in a few weeks. But I don't want to walk on my short Run day. Looking at my upcoming 1/2 marathon schedule, I feel that same intimidation I felt when first looked ahead at the C25K. I gotta keep reminding myself how well that turned out.

post-222172-13813137238004_thumb.jpg

Holy Goodness, BTB! I'm usually on my phone, so I don't see the tickers. 172 pounds is AMAZING! You will be at goal in no time. Wow, that's super impressive.

I think it's funny that most of us seem to experience very similar feelings. Believe me, I have had those short runs where I refused to start walking in the middle of my run. My legs felt like bricks, my body felt like it weighed a ton, I felt like I had nothing in the tank to keep pushing me, etc... I just kept pushing and at the end of these short runs I felt so accomplished. Moral victory indeed. I think back to that documentary - Running the Sahara. They guy said something like, "Running is 90 percent mental...and the other 10 percent is mental." Lol! It's so true.

As for the intimidation, I'm experiencing that myself. I was so confident, but I have had a rough couple of weeks in regards to getting in my three runs a week. It's been awhile since I've logged anything over 15 and I have a marathon quickly approaching in March. Like you, I try to reflect on accomplishments like running a 5K. I just did the Tinkerbell Half last Sunday. As I was running, I thought about all of the accomplishments that I achieved. My husband actually tried to talk me out of registering back in June because I couldn't even run 2 miles. Heck, he reminded me that in April I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile. He was afraid and actually told me that he didn't think I could do it. It sounds horrible, but he meant well and he was concerned that I was going to hurt myself. This conversation flooded back to me as I was running that race - talk about emotional. I did do it! I CAN do this marathon too! Every once in awhile though I need to remind myself that I am capable. You are too! You can do it! Look at what you have done already! ;)

No it was on these country roads around here. Funny how good I felt that day....tonight I did 3.5 and wanted to quit practically from the start. But I consider it a moral victory that I neither quit nor walked. I don't mind walking' date=' and I kinda plan on doing a little when these runs start getting really long in a few weeks. But I don't want to walk on my short Run day. Looking at my upcoming 1/2 marathon schedule, I feel that same intimidation I felt when first looked ahead at the C25K. I gotta keep reminding myself how well that turned out.

[/quote']

BTB we are doing the same training plan!! So awesome to know we are in it together:) looking forward to my 7mile run this weekend....

Holy Goodness' date=' BTB! I'm usually on my phone, so I don't see the tickers. 172 pounds is AMAZING! You will be at goal in no time. Wow, that's super impressive.

I think it's funny that most of us seem to experience very similar feelings. Believe me, I have had those short runs where I refused to start walking in the middle of my run. My legs felt like bricks, my body felt like it weighed a ton, I felt like I had nothing in the tank to keep pushing me, etc... I just kept pushing and at the end of these short runs I felt so accomplished. Moral victory indeed. I think back to that documentary - Running the Sahara. They guy said something like, "Running is 90 percent mental...and the other 10 percent is mental." Lol! It's so true.

As for the intimidation, I'm experiencing that myself. I was so confident, but I have had a rough couple of weeks in regards to getting in my three runs a week. It's been awhile since I've logged anything over 15 and I have a marathon quickly approaching in March. Like you, I try to reflect on accomplishments like running a 5K. I just did the Tinkerbell Half last Sunday. As I was running, I thought about all of the accomplishments that I achieved. My husband actually tried to talk me out of registering back in June because I couldn't even run 2 miles. Heck, he reminded me that in April I couldn't even run a 1/4 mile. He was afraid and actually told me that he didn't think I could do it. It sounds horrible, but he meant well and he was concerned that I was going to hurt myself. This conversation flooded back to me as I was running that race - talk about emotional. I did do it! I CAN do this marathon too! Every once in awhile though I need to remind myself that I am capable. You are too! You can do it! Look at what you have done already! ;)[/quote']

You will do great Dany!! You finished that tinkerbell half in 2 hours and 9 minutes, I am soo happy and proud of you.....you rock!!! I can't wait to hear your marathon finishing time! You inspired me to run a half and I am doing it!!!

BTB we are doing the same training plan!! So awesome to know we are in it together:) looking forward to my 7mile run this weekend....

When is your half? Mine is April 13.

When is your half? Mine is April 13.

Hey BTB,

My half is March 16th, I am doing the Rock and Roll half in DC. Did my five miles on the treadmill tonight and I am not a huge fan of long distances on the treadmill! I love running outdoors but its freezing so I took my workout indoors. Hoping to run outside on Saturday since we will be doing that 7 miler, might go stir crazy if i have to do that run on the treadmill....let me know how you do!!!

Renea77, I definitely will.

For everybody...how do y'all balance you're eating for weight loss vs. eating for running? The 2 definitely seem to be in conflict at times. I mean all the high carb food for energy. I really don't want to eat it but any run over 3 miles I really need it. Believe it or not but I can eat a package of almonds (which is mostly fat) and that will get me through 3 miles just fine. But more than that it's not enough. I just had a bad sugar and carb addiction in my previous life and I don't want to go back to that. What do the rest of you do?

.....edit....I just realized that's how this thread got started.

Hey BTB - My diet has not changed with running longer distances. It is a fairly clean diet: low carb, low fat high Protein and lots of Water. However, I do drink a pre workout energy drink and a post workout Protein Shake. It seems to help with endurance and recovery, respectively. As you know I try and run every other day ( this week exception because of nasty flu): one long run, one HITT run and one times 5 k.

Hey BTB - My diet has not changed with running longer distances. It is a fairly clean diet: low carb' date=' low fat high Protein and lots of Water. However, I do drink a pre workout energy drink and a post workout Protein shake. It seems to help with endurance and recovery, respectively. As you know I try and run every other day ( this week exception because of nasty flu): one long run, one HITT run and one times 5 k.[/quote']

What kind of energy drink do you have? But yes you answered my question as far as overall diet. Everything I can find online about eating for running talks about carbs carbs carbs. There is a little info about eating low carb and increasing your body's ability to burn fat but so far my body seems to be resisting that. I guess I spent a long time teaching it to burn sugar, it's well trained at that. Arthur Lydiard has a book about how to train yourself to burn fat for fuel instead of sugar, which has been around for decades and is well followed by many marathon trainers. But it involves long hard runs 6 times a week, at least 11 hours of running per week. I'm only running 3-4 on a good week.

I do the elliptical' date=' but im up to 6 miles n dont do carbs... i just drink a Protein shake & my Water while im running...[/quote']

It's interesting. I can do an hour on the elliptical on an empty stomach with nothing but Water. But I can't run 2 miles without bonking if I don't eat something. Of course I've been ellipting for years and I only just started running, so that may be a big part of it. My body is more efficient on the elliptical.

It's interesting. I can do an hour on the elliptical on an empty stomach with nothing but Water. But I can't run 2 miles without bonking if I don't eat something. Of course I've been ellipting for years and I only just started running' date=' so that may be a big part of it. My body is more efficient on the elliptical.[/quote']

Thats y i made sure ta put that in there ... lol... i figured theres a difference but its interesting how much difference there is... my husband & i r going to start training for a 5 k... guess i better get my butt out in the real world soon to start adjusting...

Im 5 weeks post op.. and I dont know where to start with the gym.. I was just cleared yesterday from my doc to do what I need to do in the gym.. but there is no list of what it is Im suppose to do.. maybe I need a trainer to get me started I dont know.. but with my surgery I got a 3 month free coupon to the gym at the hospital where I work and where I got my surgery.. so I want to take advantage of that.. any suggestions to start?