Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Distance Runners

Good morning ... I was in a bad rut...since on my vacation I did a lot of walking but have not ran for more than a wk. I was getting depressed because I couldn't get motivated to get out there and run.

This morning I am dressed and heading out the door.

Thank you all for your support.

Merry Christmas....

Good morning ... I was in a bad rut...since on my vacation I did a lot of walking but have not ran for more than a wk. I was getting depressed because I couldn't get motivated to get out there and run.

This morning I am dressed and heading out the door.

Thank you all for your support.

Merry Christmas....

Yay! I hope u had a great run. I ran yesterday after taking two weeks off due to illness. It was difficult. BUT, it was wonderful! I called it my Christmas present to myself. Unfortunately one of my running friends had to leave because shes having problems with her foot. She took pix of my friend and i running. Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

post-23221-13813661697235_thumb.jpg

I've read through these post in amazement! Y'all are rock stars! I haven't been sleeved yet and I dislike exercise but was just talking to my husband last night about the need for me to start and how I'd love to be one af those endorphin junky runners. He is a track coach and I'd like to be able to do the workouts he has his high school track girls do. I don't think I have it in me though. But y'all, are seriously awesome!!

I've read through these post in amazement! Y'all are rock stars! I haven't been sleeved yet and I dislike exercise but was just talking to my husband last night about the need for me to start and how I'd love to be one af those endorphin junky runners. He is a track coach and I'd like to be able to do the workouts he has his high school track girls do. I don't think I have it in me though. But y'all' date=' are seriously awesome!![/quote']

I have spent 43 years hating and avoiding running like it was the schoolyard bully. I started the C25K program back in August. I was a pinch over 300 pounds then, and even though I had been working out feverishly and had lost 100 pounds, my lungs and legs wouldn't let me run 100 yards. Since then I've dropped about 65 lbs more, and I run 3-4 miles 4 times a week. My biggest problem now is holding myself back. I want to run 7 days a week but I know I shouldn't. I love it now.

I have spent 43 years hating and avoiding running like it was the schoolyard bully. I started the C25K program back in August. I was a pinch over 300 pounds then' date=' and even though I had been working out feverishly and had lost 100 pounds, my lungs and legs wouldn't let me run 100 yards. Since then I've dropped about 65 lbs more, and I run 3-4 miles 4 times a week. My biggest problem now is holding myself back. I want to run 7 days a week but I know I shouldn't. I love it now.[/quote']

Do you think 2-3 days of rest is necessary or overrated? I have been resting for at least 2 days after busting out a 45 minute run (about 4.5 miles), but would run every other day if injury can still be avoided. I do some good stretching before and after to keep muscles happy. Also cool down for 5 minutes after running. What are your thoughts?

I'm no expert, but I think it depends on the individual. There are plenty of people who run everyday, even twice a day. It just depends on how fast you recover. I have run some back to back days. As long as the second day is an easy run I feel fine. Just trying to build up very slowly because I've had a lifetime of knee injuries already. Each time I raise things up a notch I take a good inventory of how I feel afterward, especially the next day. So far so good. I think that chi running has helped me tremendously. I'm thinking about signing up for one of his training seminars in March.

Do you think 2-3 days of rest is necessary or overrated? I have been resting for at least 2 days after busting out a 45 minute run (about 4.5 miles), but would run every other day if injury can still be avoided. I do some good stretching before and after to keep muscles happy. Also cool down for 5 minutes after running. What are your thoughts?

I take at least one day off. I always have and I have been fortunate enough to remain injury free. I have a friend that would often run back to back and she is always fighting some sort of injuries. Just my two cents...

I agree with BTB. There is no harm in running back-to-back, as long as you are listening to your body and fueling up. Until 6 months ago, I was running 5/6 days per week. If I had a long run (13 +), the next day would be a short run (3-5+). It depends on what short vs. long is for you.

My definite recommendation is to keep a log. It is amazing the difference my runs became when I started doing this. Log how you feel after, including the next day. Sometimes being wiped out the next day is normal the first couple of times. Afterwards, it's the lack of proper nutrients. (Epsom salts are great! They became my best friend as well as a few ice baths)

If you're training for a specific event or goal, keep in mind short runs are just as important as long runs. Once you get your form worked out, short runs build speed, long builds endurance and cadence runs become my sheer enjoyment.

Proper running attire!! For the love of tiny baby Jesus I wish I had someone who had gone to the store with me and said "here you go."

The obvious:

Socks. I prefer Thorlos. Once I tried them, I knew what all the hype was about. Worth the money.

Shoes (replace every approx. 500 miles) or, if you prefer, try the natural style running. I believe butterthebean is trying this out. Not for me at is point. Recovering from an injury which has knocked me out for a couple of more months. Shoes should feel good from the first run. Luke's locker and run-on will you watch you run around and "prescribe" different shoes for you based on your pronation. (I buy elsewhere to save 20-30 dollars)

Some type of running tights/pants. If not, there would be a fire started with the friction going on between my thighs. :( shorts don't cut it for me...they ride up and become a nuisance. Nike dri-fit is my go-to

Ladies: sports bra!!!! Don't damage the "girls."

Men: anti-chafing stick to keep the nipples from being rubbed and bleeding (band-aids work also, but they pull hair). This is needed more once you add more time/distance and with frequency of running.

This way longer than I meant so I will just shush now. :)

Edited to add: my injury was not due to running. :)

I agree with BTB. There is no harm in running back-to-back, as long as you are listening to your body and fueling up. Until 6 months ago, I was running 5/6 days per week. If I had a long run (13 +), the next day would be a short run (3-5+). It depends on what short vs. long is for you.

My definite recommendation is to keep a log. It is amazing the difference my runs became when I started doing this. Log how you feel after, including the next day. Sometimes being wiped out the next day is normal the first couple of times. Afterwards, it's the lack of proper nutrients. (Epsom salts are great! They became my best friend as well as a few ice baths)

If you're training for a specific event or goal, keep in mind short runs are just as important as long runs. Once you get your form worked out, short runs build speed, long builds endurance and cadence runs become my sheer enjoyment.

Proper running attire!! For the love of tiny baby Jesus I wish I had someone who had gone to the store with me and said "here you go."

The obvious:

Socks. I prefer Thorlos. Once I tried them, I knew what all the hype was about. Worth the money.

Shoes (replace every approx. 500 miles) or, if you prefer, try the natural style running. I believe butterthebean is trying this out. Not for me at is point. Recovering from an injury which has knocked me out for a couple of more months. Shoes should feel good from the first run. Luke's locker and run-on will you watch you run around and "prescribe" different shoes for you based on your pronation. (I buy elsewhere to save 20-30 dollars)

Some type of running tights/pants. If not, there would be a fire started with the friction going on between my thighs. :( shorts don't cut it for me...they ride up and become a nuisance. Nike dri-fit is my go-to

Ladies: sports bra!!!! Don't damage the "girls."

Men: anti-chafing stick to keep the nipples from being rubbed and bleeding (band-aids work also, but they pull hair). This is needed more once you add more time/distance and with frequency of running.

This way longer than I meant so I will just shush now. :)

Edited to add: my injury was not due to running. :)

Don't shush! All great tips! I actually have to use the anti chafe for the girls (sorry guys for the tmi). I had all sorts of problems with finding a good sports bra. I still have issues. My only solution has been to double bra and use an anti chafe around the breast.

I didn't see the post by BTB before I posted. Great advice as well. Everybody is different.

I've never tried thorlos socks- I'm intrigued.

Replacing the shoes can't be stressed enough. I was only at 400 something miles on a pair of brooks and after a couple runs I noticed that I had immediate bruising on my knees and shins after running. Bought new shoes and voila the bruising stopped.

Thank you all for posting! I get so much out of reading others' posts.

Don't shush! All great tips! I actually have to use the anti chafe for the girls (sorry guys for the tmi). I had all sorts of problems with finding a good sports bra. I still have issues. My only solution has been to double bra and use an anti chafe around the breast.

I didn't see the post by BTB before I posted. Great advice as well. Everybody is different.

I've never tried thorlos socks- I'm intrigued.

Replacing the shoes can't be stressed enough. I was only at 400 something miles on a pair of brooks and after a couple runs I noticed that I had immediate bruising on my knees and shins after running. Bought new shoes and voila the bruising stopped.

Thank you all for posting! I get so much out of reading others' posts.

As far as bras: I'm slightly bigger chested and I wear model 6242 from Champion. (You can put it in their search box at their website) that may help, if you desire. I buy them online when they are on sale because it's hard to find them in stores. You can always get your money back if you don't like it! I have a couple of other favorites (if interested) for sports bras just through trial and error because it is so stinking hard to find one! It literally took over a year to find the ones that were legitimately good for running. I could start a website for sports bras feedback for all the crap I went through!! Lol

Thorlos!!! I buy the running Thorlos, the short ones. Not walking. You'll know the difference because they have them in cute little colors. And basic colors for the men, if they desire. I have not had a blister at all since switching and no longer need to use the anti-chafe on my heels. (They have a website and usually always have a buy2 get 1 free special) in stores they do not have that sale. Average 15 dollars per pair.

I usually have to replace my shoes at about 400-425 miles, also! Which, in the grand scheme of things, is only about 3 1/2-4 months. Funny you should mention about the bruising of the knees, because that is exactly what happens to me. I am a "heel-first/striker," I am sure that has something to do with it (and added weight).

if you prefer' date=' try the natural style running. I believe butterthebean is trying this out. Not for me at is point. Recovering from an injury which has knocked me out for a couple of more months.

[/quote']

Yes I am and I love it. But I won't profess it's the only way. We'll see. So far so good.

As far as bras: I'm slightly bigger chested and I wear model 6242 from Champion. (You can put it in their search box at their website) that may help' date=' if you desire. I buy them online when they are on sale because it's hard to find them in stores. You can always get your money back if you don't like it! I have a couple of other favorites (if interested) for sports bras just through trial and error because it is so stinking hard to find one! It literally took over a year to find the ones that were legitimately good for running. I could start a website for sports bras feedback for all the crap I went through!! Lol

Thorlos!!! I buy the running Thorlos, the short ones. Not walking. You'll know the difference because they have them in cute little colors. And basic colors for the men, if they desire. I have not had a blister at all since switching and no longer need to use the anti-chafe on my heels. (They have a website and usually always have a buy2 get 1 free special) in stores they do not have that sale. Average 15 dollars per pair.

I usually have to replace my shoes at about 400-425 miles, also! Which, in the grand scheme of things, is only about 3 1/2-4 months. Funny you should mention about the bruising of the knees, because that is exactly what happens to me. I am a "heel-first/striker," I am sure that has something to do with it (and added weight).

[/quote']

Hi. I as well wear double bras.

I have to look for those socks. Since surgery my feet sweat much more.

I try to buy under armour when I find it at Ross or Marshalls otherwise I wear Nike and addidas.. I wear running tights under my shorts to keep my thighs rubbing...

The weather here in my part of TX is usually very hot 95% of the year.

For running I wear Nike airmax, I find them very comfortable. I want to get my feet analyized so I will look for a running shoe store.

TMI but I need to ask its killing me.

How do u stop your body from needing to have a BM while running. I find since I started running it a stimulates and I thank god I do not need to take any type of meds for Constipation.

But it interferes with my running.... So far on my 5ks I have been very lucky with no urges.

I know this is the only place I could ask the question.

Thank you for understanding and helping me out.

I try to buy under armour when I find it at Ross or Marshalls otherwise I wear Nike and addidas.. I wear running tights under my shorts to keep my thighs rubbing...

For running I wear Nike airmax' date=' I find them very comfortable. I want to get my feet analyized so I will look for a running shoe store.

How do u stop your body from needing to have a BM while running. I find since I started running it a stimulates and I thank god I do not need to take any type of meds for Constipation.< /p>

But it interferes with my running.... So far on my 5ks I have been very lucky with no urges.

Thank you for understanding and helping me out.[/quote']

The only thing I do is eat about 1.5 hours prior to running. This usually gives me time to take care of business. However on my short runs I eat the same thing about an hour before running and I never stray from my usual Cereal. I have been super lucky because I haven't had to stop before.

I worry about trying new energy gels and chews while running for this very reason. I stick to what I've tried out of fear. Good thing it has been working for me so far. How's ur Fiber on the days before u run? I eat a lot of Fiber rich food and I try to ease back the day before running.

I wish I could be more help. Hopefully someone else can shed some light.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

For running I wear Nike airmax' date=' I find them very comfortable. I want to get my feet analyized so I will look for a running shoe store.

How do u stop your body from needing to have a BM while running. I find since I started running it a stimulates and I thank god I do not need to take any type of meds for Constipation.< /p>

Thank you for understanding and helping me out.[/quote']

Hi there!!

Ooohhh....been there, done that! What I have noticed is on days of runs, no coffee or other heavy caffeine drinking. Also,NO running gels, Beans, or other fancy goo for me while running. Complete laxative effect for me.

What do you normally consume before running? Within a couple of hours? Is it the same thing most of the time?

20 miles? I wanna be you.

On a side note' date=' have any of you ever read any of the stuff by Stu Mittleton? He's the guy who ran 1000 miles in 12 days. Anyway, his whole shtick is to train your body to burn fat not glucose (sugar). You have way more fat reserves than glycogen. Even when ou carb load. According to him the way to train your body to do this is by never eating sugar (starches) and slowing down to stay below the aerobic threshold. Obviously this is not something that can be done in one day. It would take some time to train the body to be more efficient at burning fat.

I only ran across this because I would like to run farther than the 3 miles I'm up to but can't without eating some sort of simple carbs right before a run. Any of you runners have any thoughts on this?[/quote']

This is come rely consistent with what my endocrinologist told me. I am a dancer and I love aerobics and all exercise that's fast. He said several things about this in the context of VSG patients. The most important from his perspective is to only burn fat in exercise. He said low impact non-cardiovascular exercise is the exercise that burns fat. High impact is about cardiovascular health/training.

In addition to fat burning, He cautioned that until you can eat enough calories to support high impact, you are very likely burning muscle as your body attempts to hold on to fat at high impact.

So for safe "weight loss" (not cardiovascular training) his perspective is daily low impact (no sweating) and weight training at least every other day.

I seriously struggle to dance low impact because I dance for joy not weight loss! On non dance days I do low impact aerobics and weights.

life is a journey, not a destination; so, stop running -H.D. THEROUX