Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

In the early stages...

Very true iggy everyone is different, I guess I am lucky that nothing seems to bother me except volume, I also have catorgarized rich calories as volume. True some of my taste buds have changed, so far the things I dont like are the things I shouldnt eat anyway, so I figured that was a bonus, not an issue.

I dont have any knowledge of 6 months our as I had my surgery on Sept 24 so I am only just over 2 months.

I would have to disagree that after six weeks you can eat anything....maybe some people' date=' but most still have issues with foods at that point, particularly raw fruits, vegies and heavy Proteins. All of our bodies are different, but I'm at 3.5 months from my first surgery, almost two from the second, and I could never eat a small cheeseburger. A few bites yes, but that kind of bread and a greasy burger would kill me if I ate more.

I do eat and drink at the same time. Wine with dinner out, but I sip, not guzzle. I also don't drink Water when I'm doing that. I can eat many things, but heavy sugar is a no no. I can eat 1/4 cup of ice cream, but no more. I do eat carbs, but only complex and nothing white flour. It bothers me within a bite or two. Shrimp is a never which is sad cuz I love it. Your tastes and ability to eat are very changed for at least the first six months, which is why the majority of weight loss happens during that time.[/quote']

Hi Iggychic, are you never allowed shrimp again? My nut encourages shrimps and prawns as they are so high in Protein. I am 5 weeks out and manage shrimp and prawn no bother, love it with Marie Rose sauce. Xxx

I think Iggy just means that at this point shrimp doesn't agree with her stomach yet. Your body has to relearn foods from what I understand. Somethings take time to get used to I'm sure.

I think Iggy just means that at this point shrimp doesn't agree with her stomach yet. Your body has to relearn foods from what I understand. Somethings take time to get used to I'm sure.

Hi shrinking cat, wasn't meaning to sound rude. It was just as she said shrimp was a never o thought that she wasn't allowed it again. Every nut has different ideas on what is allowed and not allowed after surgery, so thought perhaps her nut had said no shrimp. Xxx

I can have anything I want aside from raw vegies and nuts right now (tomato is ok but nothing hard). I can have those at six months but my doc is extra cautious because I basically had two surgeries due to the complications. Shrimp is allowed, but I find that even one prawn or a few bites of shrimp makes me feel uncomfortably full, though I know that they don't equal my 1/2 cup portion. The same thing happens with lamb and halibut, but bison, beef, pork, wart hog and monkey brain go down fine :P (ok maybe I don't know how the last two would do lol). I can eat whole wheat rices and Pasta easily, but not much of them.

Your body really does change after this surgery. I don't desire things like hot tamales, oreo's, m&m's...things I used to enjoy and as someone else said, I don't mind missing out on :)

I was never a huge amount eater, I am just a horribly lazy cook and find cheese and crackers with wine far easier to cook than an egg LOL Or snacked on candy...or chips somewhat. Fishie crackers LOL I used to like those and now I can eat about six and want no more. Liqours (Baileys and the like) do not sit well on my tummy, nor does eggnog or sugar syrups. Again, that's not a bad thing is it?

I didn't have this surgery so that I could never eat again. I didn't even plan on having it so I wouldn't like candy :) I just wanted the high level restriction initially. And I got that plus a near death experience that I don't recommend! So the non carb loving tummy is actually just a nice bonus.

whole wheat rice does not exist lol....i meant brown or whole grain!

I can have anything I want aside from raw vegies and nuts right now (tomato is ok but nothing hard). I can have those at six months but my doc is extra cautious because I basically had two surgeries due to the complications. Shrimp is allowed' date=' but I find that even one prawn or a few bites of shrimp makes me feel uncomfortably full, though I know that they don't equal my 1/2 cup portion. The same thing happens with lamb and halibut, but bison, beef, pork, wart hog and monkey brain go down fine :P (ok maybe I don't know how the last two would do lol). I can eat whole wheat rices and Pasta easily, but not much of them.

Your body really does change after this surgery. I don't desire things like hot tamales, oreo's, m&m's...things I used to enjoy and as someone else said, I don't mind missing out on :)

I was never a huge amount eater, I am just a horribly lazy cook and find cheese and crackers with wine far easier to cook than an egg LOL Or snacked on candy...or chips somewhat. Fishie crackers LOL I used to like those and now I can eat about six and want no more. Liqours (Baileys and the like) do not sit well on my tummy, nor does eggnog or sugar syrups. Again, that's not a bad thing is it?

I didn't have this surgery so that I could never eat again. I didn't even plan on having it so I wouldn't like candy :) I just wanted the high level restriction initially. And I got that plus a near death experience that I don't recommend! So the non carb loving tummy is actually just a nice bonus.

whole wheat rice does not exist lol....i meant brown or whole grain![/quote']

Hi Iggychic, had read you had gone through a hard time but I'm glad you're feeling better now. I like your mindset about never not eating certain things ever again and that's not why you got the sleeve done as that's the exact frame of mind I have. I want to live a healthier lifestyle with everything in moderation. My motivation for having the sleeve was the same as a lot of others in I wanted to see my family grow up and be able to join in activities etc with them.

The only food I have had problems with so far is tinned tuna, which for some reason really didn't agree with my new tummy. :0( Hope you continue to feel better. Cxx

Oh! I didn't think you were being rude lorraine! Sorry, i was just clarifying :)

And I agree with you both Iggy and Lorraine, I want to get this to give myself a reboot of sorts, to have no choice but to change, the knowledge of the need to change is hard when you know there's so much that you can do not to. But if you have to change, its the motivation you need. At least that's how i feel.

Oh! I didn't think you were being rude lorraine! Sorry' date=' i was just clarifying :)[/quote']

It's fine sweetie, I just don't like the thought of coming across rude or offending someone. I live in Scotland and often the way I put things across can come across abrupt.

I don't want to be named and shamed as one if the trouble makers in here lol. Xxx

Great advice, I really appreciate tips from those who have more experience at this. Every day people ask me what I can/can't eat and I reply that I CAN eat anything, some things don't go down well and I choose to eat lean Protein and very little carbs. My sleeve is an awesome tool that makes it easier for me to eat healthy.

Good luck to all! I feel like I say this all the time but I LOVE all the info, tips etc that everyone shares.

I would have to disagree that after six weeks you can eat anything....maybe some people' date=' but most still have issues with foods at that point, particularly raw fruits, vegies and heavy Proteins. All of our bodies are different, but I'm at 3.5 months from my first surgery, almost two from the second, and I could never eat a small cheeseburger. A few bites yes, but that kind of bread and a greasy burger would kill me if I ate more.

I do eat and drink at the same time. Wine with dinner out, but I sip, not guzzle. I also don't drink Water when I'm doing that. I can eat many things, but heavy sugar is a no no. I can eat 1/4 cup of ice cream, but no more. I do eat carbs, but only complex and nothing white flour. It bothers me within a bite or two. Shrimp is a never which is sad cuz I love it. Your tastes and ability to eat are very changed for at least the first six months, which is why the majority of weight loss happens during that time.[/quote']

Couldn't agree more... Everyone is different, I could never (and none of us really should..) eat a cheeseburger especially at this point and I'm only 3 months out. Plus aren't cheeseburgers why we are in this boat? Best to stay away from them, healthier foods are actually what agrees better with me anyway. I ate ONE tater tot and got violently ill over it.. I don't push it anymore-- fish and veggies suit me just fine :)

I was thinking about this thread tonight and thought I'd share my evening meal with the OP.

DH was out of town last week and just got home. So we went out for "date night" tonight. I had a glass of chablis with him prior to dinenr, then had a cup of french onion Soup (just the broth mostly) and then we took a break and had dinner (so the Soup could settle). I had a beautiful burgundy wine with dinner, sips, but I still drank. Dinner was a gorgeous duck cassolette (white Beans, sausage, duck, cooked in duck broth with some root vegies) which was delicious. DH and I shared the meal. It was plenty for both of us as I limit myself to 1/2 cup max.

We took the wine and a bit of dessert home and I had a few bites of persimmon bread pudding with the burgundy later in the evening with DH by a fire and a christmas tree.

What changed about that evening since surgery.....

Well surgery nearly killed me so we are pretty appreciative of life right now :) That's the biggest, but presurgery I would have had a glass of wine with the salad, one prior to dinner, and one or two during dinner as well as an appetizer, salad, dinner and my own dessert. And then at home we might have had a bit of good chocolate with any left over wine....Tonight we had one glass with the app/salad, (which I didn't have) I had no bread with dinner, and I ate just a few bites of soup then a lovely 1/2 cup cassolette...that's it :) Oh and those couple of bites a few hours later. So a 300 calorie meal verses a 1000 to 1500 calorie meal. So life hasn't changed much, aside from me eating a few less courses :) We still had a lovely evening, ran into friends and enjoyed that, and life has gone on as usual :) I just look better doing it LOL

Shuhnaynah, I agree, but I guess I just wonder for the fact that yes, the healthier options are always and will always be better, but occasionally it's nice to have a tiny treat, especially with friends who may want to go somewhere that has a famous burger or other less than amazingly healthy options haha. You know? That may just be me.

And iggy, thank you so much sharing! That's a very positive and aspriational moment to look forward to, when I can enjoy a meal and still know I'm maintaining healthy habits and doing what is more important in a nice dinner...the company and the reason you're there.

I think you have the right attitude :) A bit of burger or fries isn't going to kill you. Three burgers and a whole basket of fries might! Mom and I went to red robin after shopping on friday. I had onion Soup and we shared a french fry appetizer. She had a burger. We had a great time. :) And I've lost 15 lbs since then so I must be doing something right LOL

Haha I'd say you are Iggy. I just know from previous diet experiences and just talking to medical professionals all my life that a diet is only successful if you're able to eat what you want every now and then instead of strictly what you need. Keeps you on track if you don't feel completely restricted.

I think you're missing my point but I also think that until you experience this for yourself none of us can tell you how YOUR body will react to things. I'm 3 months out and a chicken tender (one of my most favorite things before surgery) will make me sick after one bite. What makes me sick may not make you sick etc etc. so no, I don't think it's possible for any of us to tell you if you will ever be able to have a burger again- anything greasy makes me instantly ill- so I'm pretty sure i'll stick to my fish and veggies. This isn't some random diet and it shouldn't be taken as such, your tummy will be gone and won't be able to be gotten back so yes, there is a possibility your "favorite" foods will be out of the question afterwards. Carbonated drinks taste disgusting to me now, I tried a sip, just to see, and I still can't drink them even though I'd kill for a diet coke right about now.... You just never know.