Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My husband is an ass

I should add that in a month or sooner, seeing people shovel mass quantities of food is going to totally gross you out.

That's the truth. Watching my family shovel huge amounts of food into their mouths during the holidays was very disturbing. Not only did I see my former self, but something about watching how much they can eat really is gross. I will admit that I have had to go out of my way on more than one occasion to not be judgemental. I don't want to become a former overweight person that is a hippocrite and condems other people. I didn't like being treated that way and I am scared that it's what I would become.

That's the truth. Watching my family shovel huge amounts of food into their mouths during the holidays was very disturbing. Not only did I see my former self, but something about watching how much they can eat really is gross. I will admit that I have had to go out of my way on more than one occasion to not be judgemental. I don't want to become a former overweight person that is a hippocrite and condems other people. I didn't like being treated that way and I am scared that it's what I would become.

True, you don not want to be like ... the only thing I can compare it to is militant ex-smokers.

It is an eye opener though and you can steer your family more healthy without becoming an ass about it.

i could imagine its tough .. hang in there this too shall pass but your journey,your struggle will soon be your reward ?:)

i could imagine its tough .. hang in there this too shall pass but your journey,your struggle will soon be your reward :)

For me, it isn't even about the huge amounts of food they eat....it's about the effort spent. It's all consuming. When my inlaws all get together, the whole day is nothing but preparing a big meal, eating it, waiting around long enough for enough food to pass to eat more, then clean up. Then it's time to start preparing the next meal. It's crazy and it takes all day. At my MIL's there is constantly someone in the kitchen preparing food. It would just rather have a 5 minute Protein shake and go on about my day. I just don't care about food enough to spend so much time on it. Especially if I can't eat much of it.

PLUS....they can't seem to make a meal without making at least 4 different deserts. How did I ever live this way?

My SO tends to eat fast food, creamy pastas, deep fried Desserts, all right in front of me. Stupid 160 pound person who never gains a pound even if he stuffs his face all month long lol. But, he is stricter with the food than I am. I tend to smell food if I'm hungry, it helps me a bit, but if I tell him, "I think I want a small taste of this hash brown" he'll bolt with the food and either toss it or finish it else where. His response, "no, you know you shouldn't"

I stayed with my parents for 2 weeks post op. 3rd day, family comes home and eats Popeyes chicken. I'm on the couch sipping my miso broth and all I hear is "crunch crunch crunch" I was just like wtf.... In my head.

It'll get better, and like others have said, watching people eat will start to gross you out

I hear you my fiancée can eat any and everything. I told him I want ice cream so bad and I know being in stage 2 I can't have it , so I tried to keep my mind off having 30 mins later this guy goes and buys himself ice cream and eats it right on front of me smh. I don't think they realize how hard it is for us .

My husband tried so hard to not eat in front of me. He and the kids would eat in another room so I wouldn't be confronted by the smells and sights. I ended up feeling so awkward that I blew up at him. He really thought he was being helpful. He felt bad for making me feel bad. But then, he ate popcorn in the same room with me and I cried because i couldn't eat it (I was about 2 weeks post-op).

It's just one of those times in a marriage where you have to be really committed to each other. Sometimes no matter what you do it isn't right. This is an especially hard time for any couple.

I hear you my fiancée can eat any and everything. I told him I want ice cream so bad and I know being in stage 2 I can't have it , so I tried to keep my mind off having 30 mins later this guy goes and buys himself ice cream and eats it right on front of me smh. I don't think they realize how hard it is for us .

Just so ya'll know, there is another side to this coin.

My wife is the best. She has done her very best to not eat things that would tempt me...she's great. But like most people, she struggles with her weight. She would like to lose 25 pounds, but can't seem to make it happen. No matter what she eats, how few calories or carbs, how much she exercises...the scale simply won't move for her. I'm sure there are many women here who can recall what that's like pre-sleeve.

Well, imagine how it goes when I'm dropping a pants size every other week and I'm doing my little happy dance everytime I get off the scale. At first she was real happy for me. But at some point, she started getting real frustrated because she can't even lose 1 pound and I've lost 166. And we are eating the same things...working out together...everything. So it makes it real hard for me to Celebrate. And all I want to do is talk about my new skinny clothes, but the more I do the worse she feels about herself.

So ponder that while your husband is eating a big mac, because in a few months he may be the one pissed at you for losing so easily.

Since the day I got out of hospital I still sit and "eat" with my family' date=' even when I was on liquids. I'd had my fill of 'food court' and all you can eat buffets. The rest of my family can regulate their appetites, I'm not going to have them miss out on anything and I'm not going to miss out on family time, including meal times.[/quote']

I am with you Dean. It's all in the attitude. I think it's totally unreasonable to expect others to change anything because I chose to have this surgery. If I still wanted to go to a food court and stuff myself then I would not have had this surgery. I find it really exciting that I can go out and have a small amount to eat and feel totally satisfied, but if my partner wants to have 3 courses then he can go for it. This surgery is a personal choice, you do it for yourself, others should not have to make any changes for you, that will only lead to you being resented and excluded.

So im 1 week out from surgery and were at the mall taking my daughter to get santa pics as soon as we enter the mall my husband says hes starving' date=' wtf!!! Why couldn't he have made something before we left, so now im sitting in the food court hating life watching everyone shove down delicious food I hate him right now[/quote']

Yea that is not supportive:(

Just so ya'll know' date=' there is another side to this coin.

My wife is the best. She has done her very best to not eat things that would tempt me...she's great. But like most people, she struggles with her weight. She would like to lose 25 pounds, but can't seem to make it happen. No matter what she eats, how few calories or carbs, how much she exercises...the scale simply won't move for her. I'm sure there are many women here who can recall what that's like pre-sleeve.

Well, imagine how it goes when I'm dropping a pants size every other week and I'm doing my little happy dance everytime I get off the scale. At first she was real happy for me. But at some point, she started getting real frustrated because she can't even lose 1 pound and I've lost 166. And we are eating the same things...working out together...everything. So it makes it real hard for me to Celebrate. And all I want to do is talk about my new skinny clothes, but the more I do the worse she feels about herself.

So ponder that while your husband is eating a big mac, because in a few months he may be the one pissed at you for losing so easily.[/quote']

Has your wife had her thyroid checked? A lot of women have thyroid issues that are undiagnosed. I found out mine doesn't work at all. Started on a thyroid pill and it has helped some. Just a thought.

Has your wife had her thyroid checked? A lot of women have thyroid issues that are undiagnosed. I found out mine doesn't work at all. Started on a thyroid pill and it has helped some. Just a thought.

That's a good tip and I will try to figure out a way to mention it to her. But my wife works with MD's daily so she doesn't really like them, or like to go to them unless there is an absolute emergency....like a gun shot wound.

Emotional time so i realize this is a vent.... But sorry, him eating food does not make him an ass. You have a long road ahead of people eating around you...

My surgeon warned me that I can NEVER eat like a normal person or I will regain. Sucks but the sleeve makes it bearable....

My surgeon warned me that I can NEVER eat like a normal person or I will regain. Sucks but the sleeve makes it bearable....

It depends what you consider normal. My husband is 5'10, 185 pounds and all muscle. He eats portions that are not much bigger than mine. He has the capability to pig out and does on occasion, but for the most part he eats sparingly. He surprisingly doesn't eat junk food or sugary things. It's not because he watches it. He just doesn't like the stuff.

His normal is something to aspire to.