Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Sleevers With Little Ones?

I had my surgery on 11/28 and came home 12/1. I am unable to pick up my lil one who is only 13months and its breaking my heart. Is anyone else going thru the same thing? I was originally banded in 2009 and went from band to sleeve and feeling great, except for my baby.

Well I'm glad it's bothering you...because that means you are following the rules, which many don't (and to not do so could take you away from your darling a lot longer!!) but honey I do sympathize. I had the restriction for three months because of complications (not caused by me). I couldn't help him in the tub, swing him around in a huge hug after school...gad so many things I take for granted. My guy was 6 when I had the surgery...it's easier than when they are your darlings age, but it still sucked! We're a huggy family I guess :)

When he was about two I had a horrible accident and my wrist was crushed. I had to have two surgeries to repair it and during that time I wasn't allowed to lift him or anything else...how do you get a kid in a car in a snowstorm without lifting? LOL I had to hire a mama's helper to do all of that stuff as well as diapers, baths, yada yada God it sucked!!!! If he fell over and needed a hug...I was there, but not enough. So I know what you're going through. Keep NOT LIFTING :) And know that other mommies understand your pain. :(

I feel your pain! My daughter was 18mthswhen I got my band and then had to have neck surgery a month later and was in a collar for 8 weeks. I basically just had to have her climb up on the couch and give me loves. It's so hard. Just remember its harder on you then her. When I was sleeved my now 4 yr old daughter keep asking if my stitches were still in my belly and she told EVERYONE that I had stitches in my belly. Even strangers and people I didn't tell. :) from the mouths of babes. Get better, it will all be worth it when you can actively play with your little one!

I have 2 month old so I have no choice to hold him. Be careful because 3 of my incisions opened back up 3 weeks post op!

Its so hard but I don't want to be away from him longer so I am doin as told, thank you for all the reassurance.

My twins were 14 months when I was sleeved and I have a 3yro it was tough..I sat on the couch and let the cuddle with me ..way better then popping sutures or hernia

I have to agree, I do not want to end up in the ER or away from home at all.

I was also sleeved on 11/28. I have a 10 month old, but I've had no lifting restrictions at all. I took it easy the first 4 days and didn't bend over to pick him up, but Monday came and we've been fine. I try to put his weight on my right hand side. Good luck!

My baby had just turned 12 months old when I was sleeved and I picked her up because she weighs about 18 lbs. I didn't stand holding her for long periods or walk up and down the stairs while holding her but I didn't have any problems. I only had one incision so I just made sure that she kept her little feet away from it lol.

I have 2 other kiddos also 8yo and 5yo. My husband also left for school when I was 3 weeks post op and he's been gone since. I'm so thankful that I had a very easy recovery, especially since I didn't have much help.

When I was sleeved my youngest daughter was 14 months and I asked my surgeon specifically about picking her up. She said it was ok as long as I had her come up to me and held her tight against myself as if she was part if my body, but not to bend and pick her up. I tried not to pick her up as much as possible but when I needed to this worked well. My incisions healed well. You may want to ask you surgeon about this ...?

I had my surgery on 11/28 and came home 12/1. I am unable to pick up my lil one who is only 13months and its breaking my heart. Is anyone else going thru the same thing? I was originally banded in 2009 and went from band to sleeve and feeling great' date=' except for my baby.[/quote']

My lil one was 19 months when I had it... it worked out... hes a big boy... I wud make him crawl up 2 me on the bed r couch... he forced me 2 pick him up when he dove in a tub of hot Water... that was after 3 weeks

People keep mentioning their incisions on the outside...those are the ones we can see, and while opening them up isn't great, it isn't a tragedy. It's an easy fix in the ER and you go home. But it's the big incision INSIDE of your body that you need to care for, and that one is huge and very delicate. A tear in that incision could mean weeks or months in the hospital and possibly death. I spent 22 nights away from my boy because of a leak in that incision, not caused by me. A bigger tear would mean even more time...they were talking two months in a nursing home at one point :( That's what you are trying to avoid.

I had my sleeve on Nov.27th and was told that I have no lifting restrictions, just to do (lifting) what feels comfortable. I have a 1, 2, and 4 year old that all wanted to squeeze me and jump on me, but I showed them my "owies" and have had no problems. I cuddle with them while sitting or laying in bed, and it seems to satisfy them. I lift the two little ones on the changing table for diaper changes, and load them into their carseats with no more discomfort than prior to having my surgery. I'm also adding extra "just because" kisses and praise. I feel your pain:)

I had my surgery on 11/28 and came home 12/1. I am unable to pick up my lil one who is only 13months and its breaking my heart. Is anyone else going thru the same thing? I was originally banded in 2009 and went from band to sleeve and feeling great, except for my baby.

Did you get specific restrictions telling you that you couldnt lift them? I just ask because my surgeon specifically gave no restrictions and said get exercising immediately. I wouldnt have picked up my kids the first week but after that since i had staples it was fine. Even so you can let them sit on your lap without lifting them right? My surgery was 3 days before yours and my incisions are pretty much just thin completely healed lines now. Best of luck,