Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why Are Tea/coffee Taboo Post Surgery ?

I want to have a rational scientific explanation as to why tea or coffee should not be taken after sleeve. Thanks in advance for your reply.

I was told to stay away from coffee for fear of dehydration because coffee/caffeine is a diuretic, and getting in enough liquids in the beginning to avoid dehydration for may is difficult. I choose to do Decaf during week two, and am at 4months out now and have had no problems. Pre- surgery coffee did give me issues with heartburn which is a problem post surgery for many also and a reason to avoid coffee.

Cafeine makes Water drip into your intenstine and leave your body, for 2-3-4 months post surgery you want to be max hydrated for the healing of the stomach, if it drys it can also cause problems but hydration is an important issue and should be addressed firstly but slowly through out each day prior to nutritional consumptions and inbetween that also. I plan on some consumption of Tea and/or coffee when I feel safe post op 2-3 months or more.

http://www.livestron...se-dehydration/

http://www.livestron...-dehydrate-you/

My doc has no problem with coffee and tea. its even on the list of "foods" for hospital straight after surgery.

Caffeine can also cause more acid production and can also cause ulcers at the anastamosis, so better not to drink any coffee/tea except Decaf for a while until your sleeve is fully healed at least.

I work in the coffee industry and learned in one of the many classes that i have taken over the years the Columbian Coffee is the culprit for many people that are sensitive to accid reflux. The columbian coffee bean is HIGH in accidic content.

My doctor was concerned with dehydration in the beginning bit said it was ok after u get closer to ur one year mark. I only have one cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate a day and I have had no issues. I am 10 month out.

I have been mixing my morning Protein (chocolate ) with kava it's reduced acid instant. Makes a tasty mocha latte with a little caffeine bump, since about 4 months out. No coffee= nasty man!!

Caffeine can also cause more acid production and can also cause ulcers at the anastamosis, so better not to drink any coffee/tea except Decaf for a while until your sleeve is fully healed at least.

that's what my doctor and nut both said and a member of our group got reflux from starting too soon.

It inhibits Vitamin absorption, too.

My surgeon said it was fine. *shrug*

Theres a product called aeroshot. It's powdered sugar free caffine powder that dissolves in your mouth. It comes in like an inhaler. The lemon lime is definately medicinal but it does the job & is instantly absorbed.

I know they say caffine dehydrates you & can make you hungrier. However, do your own research in peer reviewed medical journals: Pubmed and make your own conclusion. I've always been told that a liquid drink is a liquid drink doesn't matter if its got caffine or not and that it does dehydrate you some but theres more liquid in a mouthful than dehydrating caffine.

Obviously, good girl disclaimer: you should follow your doctors orders... Yada yada yada : no.

Go on to Thinner Times - thinnertimes.com - and look for the thread "Caffeine after sleeve gastrectomy" with a lengthy and clear response from the bariatric surgeon who oversees that forum.

In a nutshell, he says that there is limited research to support any position, but good evidence that both coffee and caffeine promote acid production and GE reflux; he suggests avoiding both if you have problems of that sort but thinks moderate use is probably OK if not.

Hope this helps.

I'm not sure there is one. My doctor allows both immediately following surgery--and he is super strict about things (ie, no yogurt or pudding allowed during full liquid, strict rules about drinking calories, had to strain (not just puree) Soups during full liquids--etc). I would always follow what your own surgeon says, but this was my experience. Before surgery, I only drank coffee on weekends bc sometimes it would give me diarrhea (TMI?) but now I am soooo grateful for it bc it helps keep me regular.