Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre Workout....powders Or Food?

Hi all, I am 6 weeks into it and cleared to go back to the gym and MMA training but am worried about getting worn out too easy. A lot of the guys I train with have pre workout powders and stuff but not really sure what to have. I was thinking about trying to adjust my food to give me the kick and stamina to get through a gruelling workout but I dont think I am eating enough as it is. I would really like to start training for a mini triathlon but that is still a ways off. I work shift work so cant do regular sessions at the gym but I'll find a way...lol. Im still on soft foods for another 3 weeks so thats where im up to with my diet.

Ready to get back into it.

Scotty

I'm part of this group on Facebook, and some of the people there swear on this powder drink called body effects. There's a lot of koolaid type flavors. One of them used it before all her training sessions for marathon training, and some people also use it like an energy drink.

http://supplementreviews.com/power-performance/body-effects

What worked for me, after consulting with my RD (a more fitness oriented NUT as opposed to one in a bariatric practice,) was a small meal/snack that was relatively high in complex carbs and moderate in Protein and fat consumed an hour or so before a workout. This did help stretch my endurance in the pool beyond an hour where I previously had hit a wall, but didn't seem to make much difference in my strength training routine which is typically 75-90 minutes (though I never really had much of an endurance problem on the strength days,) I usually had a Protein Shake after the strength workouts, and that was usually the only time I used them after the first few weeks and I no longer needed them for basic protein intake. I didn't change my overall calories but simply shuffled the dietary composition some and timed it for the workouts.

Scotty,

I spend two hours at the gym every morning, doing an hour of cardio, and an hour of circuit training. I drink 8oz of Muscle Milk Light before the gym, and 8oz of Muscle Milk Light after the gym. That's 200 calories, and 30 grams of Protein, and acts as my Breakfast. I've been doing this for almost 5 months now, and it's working well for me.

Laura

May I ask what type of supplements are you considering?

Different supplements have different biological effects and therefore are utilized accordingly

For example an endurance athlete may consider replenishmening glycogen rapidly and take a fast acting carbohydrate like dextrose(essentially glucose) while another may have more time and choose more starches from food and do a full carbohydrate load.

Another example would be weightlifter who chooses a Protein like whey post workout to aid Protein synthesis from a heavy workout(whey tends to boost blood amino acids which theoretically would shift nitrogen balance to positive) or he may choose single amino acid supplementation such as leucine (This amino acid tends to be one key regulator in protein synthesis via mTor pathway) or he might choose the full BCAA spectrum.

There are lots of reasons to supplement.

If you need energy, I recommend glucose. A candy bar tastes better than an expensive dextrose formula.

One thing you might want to consider is energy homeostasis as it's regulated.

That is to say that your body may adapt to some of the physiological changes of surgery, such as hunger signaling(gherlin, PYY, etc) and some of the lipid and glucose metabolism, but you are still intaking below average in calories with regards to normal metabolic rate(set point) because of surgical restriction of food volume(hence why GS surgery works; it creates an energy imbalance). Since there are many hormones in communication with the brain(ex hypothamulus) and other tissues about energy stores(glucose, fat, etc) then I would suspect that this would down regulation over all metabolism in other systems(or at least until a new set point is created).

I should also mention that activity can effect this energy homeostasis too.

The point I"m making is that being at your peak requires calories. You need sufficient calories to drive the biochemical processes that push protein synthesis and maintain the constant nitrogen balance between adpatation and that of protein degradation

I eat carbs before my workout and this is the only way that I'm able to actually run and not feel tired. I purchased some Isopure for after my workouts and to drink daily because I'm struggling to get in my Protein.< /p>

I think a lot of those pre-workout supps are made of caffeine and L-arginine as well other ingredients. On a rare occasion I may have just a little caffeine to get my butt there and wake me up, but that's maybe once a month on the rare instance that I just can't get going. Usually once I'm in there working out, I'm alert with plenty of energy. And I usually do it on an empty stomach. It's weird, but I have my best workouts on an empty stomach. I don't know if being hungry makes me angry which results in a good workout or if it's because my body is not using its resources trying to digest food and I can devote all of my energy to the workout. I'm really not sure why working out on empty stomach works for me. If I do have anything before a workout, it will maybe be a banana and I make sure it's at least an hour or two before my workout. If I eat a complex carb right before my workout, I feel sluggish and lethargic and I've learned the hard way that method doesn't work for me. But everyone is different, especially if one has sugar issues. Some people absolutely can't get a good workout in without some carbs before exercise. I would try different things to see what works best for you before taking those high dose caffeine supplements.< /p>

I think a lot of those pre-workout supps are made of caffeine and L-arginine as well other ingredients. On a rare occasion I may have just a little caffeine to get my butt there and wake me up, but that's maybe once a month on the rare instance that I just can't get going. Usually once I'm in there working out, I'm alert with plenty of energy. And I usually do it on an empty stomach. It's weird, but I have my best workouts on an empty stomach. I don't know if being hungry makes me angry which results in a good workout or if it's because my body is not using its resources trying to digest food and I can devote all of my energy to the workout. I'm really not sure why working out on empty stomach works for me. If I do have anything before a workout, it will maybe be a banana and I make sure it's at least an hour or two before my workout. If I eat a complex carb right before my workout, I feel sluggish and lethargic and I've learned the hard way that method doesn't work for me. But everyone is different, especially if one has sugar issues. Some people absolutely can't get a good workout in without some carbs before exercise. I would try different things to see what works best for you before taking those high dose caffeine supplements.< /p>

Thanks mate, yeah I wasnt real keen to take those things with caffeine in it. I have tried it b4sleeve and didnt like the efeect. I did read somewhere that someone was taking creatine to help them through their workout and was thinking along those lines. Training for me can be just drilling for an hour then flat out high intensity wrestling for half hour continuous so I was a bit worried about being fine drilling then getting folded up like a pretzel in the wrestling...lol.

Yeah, I've taken creatine off and on for the past year. I take it after my workouts, but I know a lot of people take it both before and after. Just make sure you drink even more Water when taking it. I'm fairly happy with the results. I've noticed that it takes a week or two to build up the creatine in your system. It's a natural substance that comes from meats, especially red meat. But you'd have to eat 4 or 5 steaks to get the same amount of creatine that is in one teaspoon (5 grams) of the supplement. It builds up in your muscles and I've noticed that I can get an extra rep or two with each set while lifting. I don't see why it wouldn't help with all forms of exercise. Good luck!

I drink a Protein Shake, or have greek yogurr with Unjury added, about an hour or more before. Then I bring a banana and a Muscle milk light with me, and on my way out of the gym eat one or the other.....and give myself a choice! Where I've already done a double dose of Protein prior I can do that more easily.. Then when I get home about an hour after that, look to have my protein again.

What worked for me, after consulting with my RD (a more fitness oriented NUT as opposed to one in a bariatric practice,) was a small meal/snack that was relatively high in complex carbs and moderate in Protein and fat consumed an hour or so before a workout. This did help stretch my endurance in the pool beyond an hour where I previously had hit a wall, but didn't seem to make much difference in my strength training routine which is typically 75-90 minutes (though I never really had much of an endurance problem on the strength days,) I usually had a Protein shake after the strength workouts, and that was usually the only time I used them after the first few weeks and I no longer needed them for basic Protein intake. I didn't change my overall calories but simply shuffled the dietary composition some and timed it for the workouts.

This post is spot on. It is all about the carbs for energy for your workout. You can do this with food or a supplement such as Karbolic or Karbolyn. It is basically a 50 gr carb load consumed about 45 minutes before your workout. It is cheaper to do it with food but I guess it depends on your schedule and convenience. The biggest mistake I see people make at the gym is consuming too much protein prior to or after a workout. As any RD will tell you, your absorption rate varies by weight. If you consume too much protein at a serving, you are basically creating expensive urine because your body cannot absorb it.

Most pre-workout energy drinks have a ton of caffeine that will give you a boost through your workout but you have to watch the after effects such as a crash later on. I work at a gym and the best and safest energy drink I have seen is Celsius. the website is www.celsius.com . I still think the best pre-workout route is loading up with carbs for fuel for your workout.

I do believe that having a good post-workout supplement is even more important. A serving of protein or a post workout supplement such as Aftershock. This will rebuild the muscles after the breakdown of them from your workout.

Good Luck.

Hi all, I am 6 weeks into it and cleared to go back to the gym and MMA training but am worried about getting worn out too easy. A lot of the guys I train with have pre workout powders and stuff but not really sure what to have. I was thinking about trying to adjust my food to give me the kick and stamina to get through a gruelling workout but I dont think I am eating enough as it is. I would really like to start training for a mini triathlon but that is still a ways off. I work shift work so cant do regular sessions at the gym but I'll find a way...lol. Im still on soft foods for another 3 weeks so thats where im up to with my diet.

Ready to get back into it.

Scotty

I know this is an old thread, but I wonder what you found to work best? I am similar to where you were when you posted this (several years ago, lol!) But I'm about 6 weeks out and have been working out mildly for the last few weeks, but yesterday I tried going back to CrossFit and it just kicked my ass! I was wondering the same thing, regarding what kind of food / powder / energy supplements work for us bariatric patients, since we can't do Sports Beans or Blocks or Gu or anything like that. I do use Powerade Zero when I do lighter workouts (like tennis) but that didn't seem to get me through yesterday and I'm just hoping for some good tricks to get energy moving forward!

Thanks!!!

Swizzle you may want to start a new thread to elicit more responses. I use a BCAA supplement called Xtend by Scivation. It helps with muscle soreness and is sugar free. Staying hydrated was my main challenge in the first year. Regarding your return to CF, this is major surgery and 6 weeks is not far enough out to regain your stamina. Give yourself time to heal and stay consistent, you will build back up but remember your body is also shedding a lot of weight quickly. Proper rest is essential.

I do intensive workouts and was feeling very weak until I started this strategy around my workouts..

Pre workout- coffee made with soy milk or lactose free milk

During- complete bcaa powder in Water

After- Protein Shake.

This was a game changer for me, have seen great muscle growth and energy increase.