Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Long Until Normal Food?

How long post op until you started normal food, by normal food I mean eating salads, cooked chicken, salad sandwiches, cooked veg, crackers with toppings ect? I know when I get to that stage it'll only be small amounts just want to know how long it took some of you to get to that stage where the worry was on the healthy side of it not is this soft enough? and how much you were eating?? Thanks :)

For me it was 2 weeks. I was also allowed coffee at that point. My NUT cleared me after seeing me on day 15. Honestly though it really depends on your surgeon.

For me it was 2 weeks. I was also allowed coffee at that point. My NUT cleared me after seeing me on day 15. Honestly though it really depends on your surgeon.

Wow 2weeks, my surgeon has me on soft foods at the moment and im 2 weeks out now, but I'm not going to see him or the Nut for 8 weeks so I should be normal foods before then, how did you know you we're ready apart from the surgeon giving the go ahead? Did you just try a food and if it didn't hurt or come back up its ok?

2 weeks liquid then mushy until 4 weeks after that no restriction just moderation. Protein first and Water.< /p>

Every doctor is different. Please contact your surgeon or nutritionist. It's always best to err on the side of the caution.

I was on clears for over a week, 4 weeks worth of full liquids, then mushy food a week, soft food a week then solids. Even at the solids I was barely eating.

The slower you go the better you heal. Your stomach is cut from the bottom to the top. Eating bread, crackers, potatoes and rice are carbohydrates. All doctors will agree a lifestyle change is for the best as this isn't a diet. Some doctor's will say eat in moderation. Some people will drink soda, beer or coffee again, mine says never to drink them. Each doctor is different and has different rules etc.

Your best bet in my honest opinion is to give yourself 7 weeks to have your stomach heal completely before introducing food that you know you should not have. We've all been on diets, it has taken us to the hardest route of all, that is to have a major surgery. If you take it seriously, you will know what you really should and could have. I waited almost 3 months and started to drink real coffee in the morning. Even after all these months, I can still feel that it really isn't that good for me, I didn't suffer without it, and it's not doing anything for me, I know it's something I should not have though and am staring at it right now. It's now up to me to decide do I drink it or not. I believe that I am going to quit drinking it.

All it takes is one day eating chips & crackers. Then the next time it gets easier, then the next time it's a little of this and that and then old habits come creeping back over time. Make it a lifestyle change and you can't go wrong.

Best of luck to you.

I am on week three and on pureed, but I have been eating soft foods and just chewing really really well. I have had no issues yet at all. I have wanted chips, crackers, popcorn (salty crunchy stuff!!) but haven't let myself do it cuz I know I will keep doing it. So the only thing I have been focusing on is learning how to eat meat again. It's Protein and I know I didn't get fat from it before! And it's filling! I've done well with chicken and ground beef (chewed very very well)...gonna try pork next!

Thanks, it's amazing how different everyone's diet is! I'm taking it slow as my stomach is quite sensitive I nearly threw up after eating a piece of really soft cheese, plus I have hubby being very overprotective not wanting me to eat something and cause a leak or other problems, surgery was hard for him he was so scared something bad would happen poor man. So even though I'm on soft foods I'm sitting here having an up & go Protein Drink for breaky, cannot wait to eat meat properly again to boost my energy levels or go out for lunch and have a salad!