Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Diahrrea After Surgery?

So I was sleeved 11/28. I had a really hard time taking in Any liquids - even clears without pain and nausea. I stayed an extra day and upon discharge I was able to sip Water, Powerade and a few spoonfuls of Soup. Around day 3 I started having loose watery stool that happens around 10x a day. It's not just when I eat or drink. I'm hardly taking in enough liquids - about 40oz a day of water/ gaterade and a few bites of cream of wheat so I don't think it's lactose. I'm just afraid I'm working so hard to get the fluids in and they are going out faster. Has anyone else had this happen.

Very very normal!! It will last for about 3-4 wks. I know it's hard and uncomfortable. Honestly sometimes I was afraid to pass gas because I didn't want to have an accident. It will pass. When you start eating more dense Proteins it will get better. Then you'll wonder why you are going for like 3-4 days at all. And it's because you eat so little it takes time to push everything through your intestines. Everyone is different. REMEMBER THAT

Yes, this is normal. And believe me when I say to never trust a fart!! Not a good idea, if you know what I mean??!! Haha

Yep! Totally normal. I had it on Day 4 but it seems to have gone away (at least for now)

I have had it since before my surgery, I did Protein shakes for 2 weeks pre-op. At hat time I figured it was liquid in, liquid out. I'm now 26 days out, been on soft foods for the past week. I am still having frequent watery stools. The kind where you stop mid-sentence when talking to someone because you have to go RIGHT NOW. My doctor is going to run a stool sample, think I may have c. diff. I work in a large hospital and could have gotten it from there before surgery.

Anyone else have c. diff or other infectious diarrhea after surgery?

Yes I too had the Hershey squirts lol not fun it Went away about two weeks post op now I'm just constipated and apple sauce has been helping a little bit. But don't worry it will pass

Just an update. I called my surgeon today cause the diahrrea just seemed too much to me. Seemed like more was coming out than I was taking in. He had me come up to the hospital to the Ambulatory Treatment Center and I got an iv and 2 liters of Fluid. He said some loose stools can be normal but not as much as I had. I felt like a million bucks when I left there. And the diahrrea completely stopped , haven't had any in over 12 hrs. So hopefully it was a stomach virus or something. I actually wanted something to eat for the first time in 5 days!!

I never had the loose movements, but I still battle Constipation. Miralax has become my best friend. The Fiber wasn't working and the Milk of Magnesia would not stay down. I am hoping this all straightens out soon. I am 7 weeks out.

After 1.5 years I am actually constipated sometimes...which for me NEVER happened before surgery. I HATE CONSTIPATION!

I am currently 6 days post op. I have been having some abdominal pain and diarrhea for a few days now. I went to the surgeon yesterday and they gave me 2.5 liters of IV Fluid. They also took a stool sample. They called me today and told me that they found a bacteria in my sample. They gave me a prescription medicine. I hope this gets better soon. It's miserable feeling.

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I am currently 6 days post op. I have been having some abdominal pain and diarrhea for a few days now. I went to the surgeon yesterday and they gave me 2.5 liters of IV Fluid. They also took a stool sample. They called me today and told me that they found a bacteria in my sample. They gave me a prescription medicine. I hope this gets better soon. It's miserable feeling.

It turns out I have C. Diff. I came to the ER following direction from my sergeon because I have been having increasing abdominal pains. They just did a CT scan with contrast to make sure I don't have a sleeve leak. Please pray for me. I will keep you all updated.

It turns out I have C. Diff. I came to the ER following direction from my sergeon because I have been having increasing abdominal pains. They just did a CT scan with contrast to make sure I don't have a sleeve leak. Please pray for me. I will keep you all updated.

Keeping you in my thoughts. Wishing you a speedy recovery. :)

ER doctor says that he doesn't think I have a leak, however it appears I do have hematoma in my abdominal area. I am admitted over night and my surgeon will come see me in the morning. Ugh. This sucks.

I'm so sorry to hear about u- praying for a fast recovery. They wanted to test me for c diff also the day I went back and got fluids but the diahrrea stopped -Completly and I have not had any in 2 days. Feel 100% better but still struggle to get my fluids in. They said I prob had a stomach virus- great time for that. My dumb luck! Keep us posted and get well fast!