Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is this "Normal" Diet for After a Fill ?

Ok my friend is seeing the same surgeon that im going to be seeing. (Im not banded yet ) She had her first fill today . Granted this is her first fill and she's 8 or 10 weeks post op . Now I see some benifits to this schedule and he said if she can make these stages for 2 days that's great. His fills are free for the first year post op so its not like he's trying to get more money . Im just curious if anyone else has anything like this with your doc ? This surgeon's stats are AWESOME , he's VERY helpful. He emails me when i have ANY Questions emailed to him and I have not even seen him yet. SO I have an email into him , I Sort of have a feeling this MIGHT be his policy for the FIRST Fill with post op being so soon ? I Dont know . But here it is :

> NO Solids for 12 days ! .

> 3 days Clearn liquids

> 3 days liquids

> 3 days mushies

> 3 Days Semi solids

> Then Solids

> What do ya'll think ? Ill do it I know i can just wanted input ! I am sure that he has his reasoning and Im asking him about that as well. Any input would be great.

Thanks

Mindy

I wouldn't have made that I don't think. After a fill I'm on one day liquids, next day mushies and then third day solids. So far no problems at all and I've had 3 fills. But, all docs are different and I'm a firm believer in doing what your own doctor says do. Good luck on your upcoming banding.

This looks like it is because of being so recent from the original surgery....I was so tight without fill my first was 6 MONTHS out....and I have a conservative surgeon with great stats...

When he answers you, please share with us all....

I will do that Jack. I asked my friend and she said that its after every fill. But Im not 100% sure she's right lol. That's why im emailing the surgeon .

Some other people on another board said to find another surgeon that this is wacko . But I am not so sure. I think its conservative for sure. But WHen your talking about something you will have for the rest of your life , and its not like i'll have to do it every month, week ... its somethign I KNOW I can do if i need to . What is your opinion if indeed it does need to be done every fill ? Given you have a conservative surgeon . Like i said I have not met him yet but I am VERY Comfortable with him thus far, I have spoken to him on the phone and email him fruquently and he answers me with no problem .

Granted that might change when i meet him . But as of now Im comfortable with his choices, and answers.

Thanks

Mindy

I wouldn't have made that I don't think. After a fill I'm on one day liquids, next day mushies and then third day solids. So far no problems at all and I've had 3 fills. But, all docs are different and I'm a firm believer in doing what your own doctor says do. Good luck on your upcoming banding.

Its something I SAY I Can do now, But I wont know I guess until im in the banders shoes lol .

I too am a believer in doing what your doc says if it make sense , if it doesnt make sense ask why lol . Ive been in the medical feild for 10 yrs so i can usually tell or feel when something is just absurd. I asked on here because on another board , like i told jack a few ppl told me to get another doc . I thought that was a bit extreme lol

Thanks for your comments and help Sherryjo. I am HOPING TO be banded in December if all goes well with finances.

Mindy

my doc also does the stages from liquid to mushies to regular food after a fill, he told me its to help the irritation to the band area from getting worse. You know, stomach is used to the size of the band and then poof...its made smaller...just a protective measure.

My own thoughts are...its a kick start to the diet again.

:D

Mindy....I agree that each Dr is different, just like their patients. What works for some works differently for others! I think this Dr. is being a little conservative, but I do know the body needs time to adjust to change. My fill Dr. says liquids for 48 hours after a fill....but I try to keep in mind that it must be an awesome responsibility for a Dr to know that they have the potential to close off the esophagus of a patient. I have been banded since April....and this is my story! I listen to my Dr's suggestions, but I have elected to take my own health into my own hands....No one cares about my overall good health more than I.....I do what is right for me based on my physicians recomendations, so far it's working pretty darn good! Dreamer

Mindy....I agree that each Dr is different, just like their patients. What works for some works differently for others! I think this Dr. is being a little conservative, but I do know the body needs time to adjust to change. I listen to my Dr's suggestions, but I have elected to take my own health into my own hands....No one cares about my overall good health more than I.....I do what is right for me based on my physicians recomendations, so far it's working pretty darn good! Dreamer

Dreamer , I agree with you . Each is different. His stats speak for himself, I just have gotten in contact with a few other patients of his and they ALL have glowing recommendations for him . They just cant stay enough about him. I will see how everything pulls together for me and if my "intuation is right' on my consult but I think it will be .

Thanks for your input its helpful.

Mindy

Hi ALL :biggrin1: :D

I HAD MY FIRST FILL BUT NOW I CAN EAT :hungry: QUITE A BIT IN THE EVENING. MORNINGS ARE A PROBLEM I STAYED THE SAME THIS MONTH AND I AM WORRIED I AM DOING SOMETHING WRONG. food SUCH A CURSE :phanvan TO ME I NOT HURGREY BUT I FEEL I AM SLIPPING INTO PAST HABITS:cry . PLEASE HELP FELLOW BANDIES.

LANA

Ok So I spoke to another of my surgeon's patients , he hasnt answered me back yet, I thought he would not since its the weekend and all.

She said he has her do 1 day Clear Liquids 1 day liquids and one day Smooshies ( what ever you call it LOL) then one day semi solids.

So I am getting the impression that maybe this is for the first fill ?

We'll see. But just wanted to let ya'll know what she said.

Mindy

My doctor has us do 3 days of liquids, 3 days of mushies, and then regular food. My fill kicks in 6-15 days later. I have had all my fills/unfills under fluro. I get chills and run a fever about 1 hour after a fill and it lasts 3-6 hours. Everyone is different.

It does no harm to be cautious. I am so glad that I was still on mushies when I reacted to my fill. It was better than having had a full meal and then PBing. Most doctors don't want you to eat the day of a fill or at the most liquids. There is a good post on this site about what to do to have successful fill experiences.

Bottom Line: follow your doctor's orders.

Yep, I agree about every dr being different..Mine has me on a 48 hr liquids only after each fill...This is basically yogart, protien drinks, apple sauce and lots of water...I havent found it hard at all to stick with this diet because after a fill I am just so leary to get back to solids with not knowing how my fill is going to treat me...I just kind of inch my way back into solids testing the waters a little bit more each day to see what treats me right and sometimes I am wrong and have to back up and start over again..Its always a learning experience to see what changes each fill brings!