Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Got A Peaceful, Easy Feeling...

YAY! I got that peaceful feeling when I realized that I was choosing from among a whole group of fantastic and well qualified doctors so it was just a matter of finding the right "fit". Now if I could just get that peaceful easy feeling about booking my flight. I hate thinking about squeezing my size 28 ass (can we say ass on this forum?) into a 17 inch seat.. I'm actually considering taking the train to Boston to visit my sister for a few days and then flying out of there so I can take jet blue. They have an 18.25 inch seat.... and trust me' date=' that extra 1.25 inch makes a big difference![/quote']

Ditto that! I'm mostly hips and bottom. Think mASSive! Le sigh.

Amanda Sexton

I just was on American Airlines and it was a tight squeeze. Last week I flew Delta and that was better. And I'm a size 16. I gotta say Amanda after reading your post I've had that song stuck in my head. I'm on my way to Texas now, and some impatient people were having a meltdown at the skycap. Anyways, I just sang "I've got a peaceful easy feeling" and smiled :-)

I just was on American Airlines and it was a tight squeeze. Last week I flew Delta and that was better. And I'm a size 16. I gotta say Amanda after reading your post I've had that song stuck in my head. I'm on my way to Texas now' date=' and some impatient people were having a meltdown at the skycap. Anyways, I just sang "I've got a peaceful easy feeling" and smiled :-)[/quote']

It's a great song to have in your head. Lets just hope we can hold onto that peaceful easy feeling. :-)

Amanda Rae

Really struggling to regain my peaceful easy feeling.

Amanda Rae

What's wrong? Can I help? Don't get scared. Your surgery is in March right? It'll be ok :-)

What's wrong? Can I help? Don't get scared. Your surgery is in March right? It'll be ok :-)

Yeah March 18th with Dr. Lopez. Nerves and worries are simmering beneath the surface.

Amanda Rae

It's healthy and natural to be nervous. A week before surgery, I started having second thoughts. I got scared and started to worry about how safe everything was. But for me, I had already canceled this surgery 2 yrs. ago, and I wasn't about to do it again. I prayed a lot, talked a lot, and took that leap of faith. In the end, it's all up to you. But I can say that in my experience, once I finally got to Mexico, there was nothing to be afraid of. Medically, or safety wise.

It's healthy and natural to be nervous. A week before surgery' date=' I started having second thoughts. I got scared and started to worry about how safe everything was. But for me, I had already canceled this surgery 2 yrs. ago, and I wasn't about to do it again. I prayed a lot, talked a lot, and took that leap of faith. In the end, it's all up to you. But I can say that in my experience, once I finally got to Mexico, there was nothing to be afraid of. Medically, or safety wise.[/quote']

Would you mind sharing your experience? Who was your surgeon? Coordinator?

Amanda Rae

Be happy . Your going to be in great hands down there. Just be ready follow your diet plan before going.

Everything else will be smooth. Mi-hospital is an awesome place.

My doctor was Fernando Garcia

Contacts were Rosie and Melissa (melly)

They are awesome.

The hospital is a hospital it's 3floors high it's very clean you get your own room with a full bathroom/shower tv ect

Would you mind sharing your experience? Who was your surgeon? Coordinator?

Amanda Rae

Sure! As Jesser says, my doctor is Dr. Alvarez and Susan was my coordinator. She prepared me for the whole thing step by step ahead of time. It was all in the paperwork that she emailed me. I got to San Antonio TX and knew to call the hotel for the shuttle to pick me up and bring me to the hotel. From there Rosie our driver, came and picked us up. We would be staying at that hotel after surgery, so I guess Dr. Alvarez has a set up with them where they didn't mind picking us up. Anyway, Rosie was very nice, she drove us (I brought my cousin with me for support) to Eagle Pass TX. We were in the car for about two hours or so. Rosie made a pit stop at a convient store. They had muscle milk, I was so psyched!

Anyways we got to the hotel and she told us when to be ready in the morning. My cousin was hungry, so she went for a walk to go get food. I was on the liquid diet, but after a couple of hrs. At the hotel, I cheated! I ate hotdogs, BBQ wings, and a slim Jim that night. I was so worried that I had blown it, but when I talked to Dr. Alvarez he said that my BMI was low enough that I would be ok. So Rosie came and got us the next morning, that's when I met my sleeve sisters and sleeve brother. They were waiting in the lobby with us. The border was literally ten minutes away, if that. Crossing over was no big deal. It was like a toll booth in MA (where I'm from originally). Anyway, the hospital was like two minutes from the border. We got there and unpacked the van. The first thing we did was go to Dr. Alvarez's office. There, he asked us who was first, second, third, and fourth. I was second. I payed the cashiers check and signed some papers, then met with Dr. Alvarez. I told him about my cheating and he made me swear I would follow protocol after surgery. He said I had to follow it 100%. He asked me about any concerns I might have. He was very personable and genuine. After we shook hands, it was time to go to the hospital to our rooms. The hospital was behind his office. It was a short walk. The hospital was old fashioned, like the 70's but very clean. We got to our room which had a computer and tv, and bed and couch for my cousin. Then after dropping off my bags and my cousin, it was time for X-rays and a blood test. Then they brought me back to my room and set up the IV and gave me something to relax. Next thing I know, it's 3pm and I'd been out of surgery for hours. My throat was dry and scratchy, but I was in no pain! That surprised me because they don't use narcotics. But I was blissfully pain free! A few hours later I got up and walked the hallway. Dr. Alvarez and the other Dr. He works with (who's name escapes me) came in several times to check on me. The nurses checked on me often too. The nurses didn't speak English but they understood enough and so did I. There was an assistant during the day named Jessica who was so awesome! She took my cousin out to get food and there was another assistant at night. He was cool too, but I can't remember his name. The next day I walked the hall most of the day. They took out my IV and gave me ice chips. The doctors came in to check on me several times. Then the next morning they gave me grape juice and discharged me. That morning I was experiencing pain in the left incision (the largest) but they gave me some toradol and I was fine, it just ached. Then it was time to load up the van and head back to San Antonio. Jessica and Rosie were so helpful. Crossing. Back over the border you have to turn your cell phone off and there's a long line of traffic, but it was pretty uneventful. They look at all the passports in the van and sometimes they do a search, sometimes they don't. They didn't for us, thank you Jesus :-) The ride back seemed longer. I tried to sleep. I had a pillow pressed against my tummy and was feeling better. Then a couple hrs. Later we got to the hotel that had picked us up from the airport. We got to our room and II went to bed. Then I walked the hallway with my cousin. There's more, but I'll have to save it for another post, as I've just noticed how incredibly long this is.

I'm having surgery at Mi Doctor with Dr. Elias Ortiz on Thursday and I'll be sure to post about how it went on the forums as soon afterwards as I can. I was originally going to go with Dr. Lopez, but he's in Cancun this week and I feel equally comfortable with Ortiz after having made friends with someone who had their surgery assisted by him (done by Lopez) 2 months ago and someone who had their surgery done by Ortiz a little over a week ago. I'm told that Ortiz speaks better English than Lopez and is very attentive.

My surgery is the Friday with dr. Alvarez and suddenly I am getting so nervous. I am worried about complications mainly. I am not as worried about the lifestyle change, I am ready for that part. Starting to freak out.

My surgery is the Friday with dr. Alvarez and suddenly I am getting so nervous. I am worried about complications mainly. I am not as worried about the lifestyle change, I am ready for that part. Starting to freak out.

Dr. Alvarez is an excellent Dr.!! You have nothing to fear. He is so experienced. You'll get something to relax you, then you'll wake up and the surgery will be over. Don't worry, he's a really nice guy. He'll answer any questions you have and will calm your fears :-)

I have total faith in Dr. A. Still, I know that complications can happen and I am just worried. I know it is the right thing to do for my health long term. I wish I could find that peaceful easy feeling right now. Amanda Rae, how are you holding up?