Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ladies - Uti Questions

I'm 46 and never had a UTI until the last 6 weeks. 3 of them. It started a week after my first gyn visit with a new doctor. Got UTI medicine from my primary. I had a follow-up before an ablation procedure. next week 2nd UTI. Got refilled medicine. Had my ablation day before Thanksgiving. week later another UTI. Haven't spoken to doctor yet this morning.

Having never had UTIs before i would like opinions.

Problem with new doctor's office? (BTW i really didn't care for her but had to get procedure done before insurance change)

Complication of weight loss?

I'm getting enough fluids. IF this had happened 3 months ago that would have been my first thought.

I'm not sure where to begin and I can't keep taking off work for this.

OK the nurse in me has to ask..

Are you taking all of your antibiotics as prescribed?

Is the dr doing a culture and sensitivity on the urine so they know they are giving you the correct AB?

I had a UTI a year and half ago and I think it is because where I worked they were sitting the tp on the floor.

You have all of my sympathy. I would rather give birth than have a UTI. Also ask Your dr if you would benifit from cranberry capsules.

Good luck

Considering you just had an ablation I assume your not taking baths correct? Are they giving you the same antibiotic each time? Also, like the last person said...are the sending your urine for a c&s? They test it in the office, but they should also be sending it to the lab for further testing. Dehydration can cause a uti, I had that happen 3 wks post op and ended up with kidney stones too. Make sure you are staying hydrated, check with the dr office and find out if they have sent your urine to the lab, and if you are taking the same antibiotic everytime, then maybe you need something more effective. I don't think it has anything to do with the dr unless she's checking you without gloves and if that's the case I hope you would have b**** slapped her and then once again for me. :) How long ago were you sleeved? Did this happen right after you were sleeved? The Foley catheters can cause them sometimes if they are in for a while. I don't think that's it either, but dehydration can definitely do it. Drink Gatorade and cranberry juice. Hope you feel better!

I must agree with sewcrazy.. if they'e just looking to see if you have white blood cells in your urine and then giving you an antibiotic, they may not be treating for the right offender!

If you've had THREE in six weeks, it sounds to me like it's the same UTI that is not being effectively treated. Either they're not giving you the right medication, or it's not a long enough course. Also make sure you're following all the directions. I know with Cippro you're not supposed to take it within several hours of having milk products.

I hope you are able to get this squared away soon. Nothing worse than something that makes you pee every five minutes and then makes it feel like you're peeing broken glass... UGH I feel your frustration.

Thanks everyone. I was sleeved on Aug. 3rd.

The first UTI the doc did a urine in office and as far as i know did not send it out. The medicine tore my stomach up but i took it all.

The second UTI I called in (weekend) and explained how bad the medicine was the first time. They gave me something different that wasn't as bad. I guess it makes sense that maybe it never went away to begin with. I just found it ironic that a week after each visit it happened again.

Unfortunately, I don't recall the prescription names. However, I did finish all the medicine, as prescribed, both times and definatley didn't have milk products despite one of them saying I should (because I can't seem to tolerate milk/shakes since being sleeved).

I have a well woman checkup scheduled for Thursday in my primary's office. I'm going to see if i can move it up. Not going back to the same doctor that i've been seeing month. in 30 years of exams thsi is the first time I felt "off". Besides EACH time she managed to pinch a very sensitive portion of me!! EAch damn time!