Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Hell - Please Give Me Good News....

Oh my Lord.....

A little background...I have had LONG hair most my life. Long, THICK, beautiful hair.....

My pony tail was THICK, could only wrap a pony tail holder around it twice....

I could braid it and have a long, thick, beautiful braid....I don't color it, so it was very healthy.

My hair was my vanity. Lord knows I could grow booty and hair!

December 2nd will be 5 months post surgery. I expected SOME hairloss - but HOLY CRAP!

I cry every time I shower as I run my hands through my hair and HANDFULS come out.

I cut it mid back with some long layers to give it a little more fullnes, but I think shoulder length

is coming up after Christmas....

Please, please, please tell me it stops - that I won't REALLY go completely bald or be one of those women you can see their scalp between thin strands.

Oh - my vanity.....

For years, my hair was my crowning glory.....I feel almost like I'm losing a friend....

I bought some 5,000 mcg Biotin, but want some feedback on it...

My nails are as long and strong as ever.

Can't wear pony tails anymore...looks like a rat tail :(

I wash it, air dry it, and fluff and say a orayer until 2 days later when I Shampoo and cry again.... :(

I didn't know it would be this bad.....

I still would have the surgery - honestly....

but I am sad tonight.

I had surgery in June. I take Biotin daily, I get 60-80 grams of Protein a day and I have always had thin hair and I have lupus and I feel your pain. I am one of those people you describe though that you can see the scalp.

I went to a salon today and there is good news, I have a lot of new outgrowth coming in. She cut my hair to above my shoulders, and she put in low lights (my hair is extremely blonde) and it looks so much better. She said that she can tell that my hair is coming back.

Lupus causes thinning hair and hair breakage and Hair loss, so if I am starting to come back from it, you should too. Make sure you get your Protein in, save blow drying for special occasions and throw a protein pack on there once in a while and hopefully it will start slowing up soon.

I have a huge party to go to Friday and I was so afraid I would be bald for it that I have been freaking out myself, thinking I was going to have to go back to a pixie.

Best of luck.

I had surgery in June. I take Biotin daily, I get 60-80 grams of Protein a day and I have always had thin hair and I have lupus and I feel your pain. I am one of those people you describe though that you can see the scalp.

I went to a salon today and there is good news, I have a lot of new outgrowth coming in. She cut my hair to above my shoulders, and she put in low lights (my hair is extremely blonde) and it looks so much better. She said that she can tell that my hair is coming back.

Lupus causes thinning hair and hair breakage and Hair loss, so if I am starting to come back from it, you should too. Make sure you get your Protein in, save blow drying for special occasions and throw a protein pack on there once in a while and hopefully it will start slowing up soon.

I have a huge party to go to Friday and I was so afraid I would be bald for it that I have been freaking out myself, thinking I was going to have to go back to a pixie.

Best of luck.

I meant no disrespect Mina....I know female hairloss is a very personal and real issue for a lot of women....even without the surgery. Thanks for the info.... :)

It does stop falling out. It usually stops between 6 to 9 months post op. You will probably be getting some new growth coming in soon. I take Biotin 5,000mcg and silica. My hair has been rapidly growing in all areas. So rest assured, it will stop and regrow......:)

Shannon-'i'm with you. My hair was my crowning glory also. Blonde and thick. So thick barrettes never worked. I had to struggle to get a pony tail holder around it twice. I'm 51 and not a gray hair in sight.

At months out, my hair is so ratty. And thin. I had it cut a few weeks ago in layers to just below my ears but i may go even shorter.

I don't mind; really, i don't. If anything this has shown me to really appreciate the good things in life. This surgery has really humbled me.

Your post could have been mine. I've always had long hair and gotten compliments on how thick and pretty it was. I lost half my hair, but it's coming back in.

I lost a lot of hair again when I revised from band to sleeve. I am finally done losing hair and new hair is still coming in.

I am losing too, but not horrible yet (crossed fingers). I even looked at Sally's Beauty Supply, they carry a product called Toppik, that camoflauges the thinner areas. Costs about $30 for a small can and another $ for the spray to fix it to the hair and scalp. My other option is to go to a small hair piece since it seems to just affect the top and crown. :rolleyes:

Like Shannon, I too had thick beautiful hair but in the last few months its come out in handfuls. I haven't had surgery yet so the only thing I can think of is the hormones I am taking is causing the Hair loss. I'm going to go ahead and get it cut short but was wondering what I could do to try to stop it. Does the Biotin really work?

I feel your pain ladies. I have pretty long thick straight hair and every time I run my hands through or over it, hair ALWAYS come out. Thank God it's thick to cover things up!!

Aaaawwwwww, it stinks. I am pre-sleeve. My hair is mid-booty and thick and curly and I suffer with finding a ponytail holder to go around twice. Once is not enough,twice is too much.

I am also a cosmetologist. I have approx. 15-20 clients that have weightloss surgery. I FINALLY convinced approx 1/2 of them to cut their hair due to how thin it was. Those women now have their thick hair back! Cutting it helped to put it in a trendy hairstyle, keep a shape to it so it can grow back out again. :) so yes, it appears thicker and trendy.

The few that opted to just let it hang, looks more thin than before. It's really only because the new hair that is growing back in hasn't been enough to "fill in" where it had all come out.

All of them have their hair growing back, it's only what they do with it in the "in-between" that makes it better.

So, yes, rock your new 'do and love it with all the weight pouring off. The hair comes back. Eat your Protein and take your supplements.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks betterme, it might be fun to try a shorter, more stylish "do" do go with my new body :)

I am 7 months out. Between 4-6 months, I lost 1/2 my hair. I have about 2 inches of solid regrowth now...amazing. I don't think that anything will prevent it, but you can help the new hair grow quickly and strong! Protein, Biotin and bamboo derived silica. I also use Biosil, it's pricey, but I think it works. It's just very concerted silica. Do not buy horsetail silica...it is lower strength than the bamboo based.

Garnier Fall Fight Shampoo and conditioner. It contains Biotin... Have heard great reviews in regards to helping with Hair loss

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!

I was the same way - my long blonde hair was my pride and joy! I started losing at 3 months post-op on the dot and am now a little over 6 months post-op and I've lost half my hair. It's SO depressing. If I was a crier I would of done cried numerous times about it already.

I wouldn't trade the weight loss for luscious hair for anything - but this has really been mentally and emotionally hard on me!! Way worse than I ever thought it would be! I guess because when I was banded I didn't lose much at all. (weight AND hair... lol)

Everyone I've talked to says the Hair loss stops at about month 10. OMG I cannot WAIT. IDK if I will have any hair left by then!! I didn't have super thick hair to begin with - my hair is fine, but I just had a lot of it. :( :(

I had a lengthy discussion with my nutritionist at my appointment yesterday. (Hair loss) she said that Iron and zinc are the Vitamins to take as a supplement to Multivitamin and Protein to keep from hair loss/hair health. I've added both into my regimen. She advised the multi Vitamin is not enough and stressed that I should take a daily schedule...mine looks like this

Morning: flinstone chewable, b-12 sublingual, Iron chewable, and my Acid prevention.

4 hrs later: 2 Calcium, Vitamin D 5000 drops (once per week)

4 hrs later: 2 Calcium

Night: flinstone chewable, b-complex Vitamin

She has advised that the Flinstones contain the right amt of zinc in one chewable but other nutrients require 2 per day...

I hope that this helps! I have been adamant in talking with her about my nutrients and hair because I also am very afraid of hair loss...