Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

300+ To Loose... Just Got My Surgery Date

It's true, some docs won't operate past a certain BMI, did she have to be such a b*tch about it? I think a little empathy would have been nice. If you're not attached to her, I would consider someone else. That was a perfect example of her bedside manner.

I'm so very sorry that a "professional" treated you that way! Ready4success took the words out of my mind though... if it's possible, I'd consider another surgeon after being treated so roughly. The circumstance and decisions you've made should never be taken in such a cavalier way... in my humble opinion anyway. Past that, I am sorry that they need you to reduce before they'll schedule you.

Thank you both - I agree with you. I told my mom that the drs bedside manner was terrible, and really it makes me appreciate my PCP even more (and I've always loved seeing him because he is so kind)!

I'm going to discuss the whole experience with my PCP and see if he agrees to a 2nd opinion. Even if the next surgeon tells me the same thing, I'm leaning towards going to a different doctor simply because this one left such a bad taste in my mouth.

I mean, she told me pretty much what I was expecting to hear (you need to lose some weight first), but I didn't expect to walk out of there bawling. Not sure I'd want to deal with her when I'm post-op in the hospital and hurting......

Maybe my PCP will have some sound advice for me. Here's hoping! Thanks for the advice, guys! :)

I had my surgeon visit today. She said I'm too heavy to operate on. I have to lose 50lbs before she'd consider it. And when she delivered this disappointing news and it made me cry, she said, "Crying won't help you. You should see what I go through in a day, I should be the one crying." Yeah, ok, but I thought we were here to talk about ME.

So, no surgery date for me.... yet. Still figuring out what to do from here.

Girl, you find you another surgeon! I am so sorry you had to endure someone so ignorant. I can't stand when people who are in a position to deal with the public act like they don't have any tact whatsoever. In this state we are already fragile mentally and it sucks that this surgeon was apparently having a bad PMS day that she had to take it out on you. You came there for her to help and support you. I'm sorry for the rant, it is just unnerving to hear doctors be so insensitive, I've ran into my fair share when I was going through a miscarriage, you wouldn't believe the crap I've heard...Keep your head up, there are surgeons that will operate on you. My surgeon told me to lose 30lbs mainly for the purpose of my liver, but he also said it wasn't a big deal if I didn't lose the 30, if I had lost 10 lbs, then that would have shrunk it some. You don't want to deal with that attitude after surgery. I would have cried too, but let her know her customer service skills were lacking and she needed to find a new profession if she didn't like to deal with the public....Sorry, there I go again LOL keep searching hun, you'll find a great surgeon, that is supportive and professional. :)

Girl, you find you another surgeon! I am so sorry you had to endure someone so ignorant. I can't stand when people who are in a position to deal with the public act like they don't have any tact whatsoever. In this state we are already fragile mentally and it sucks that this surgeon was apparently having a bad PMS day that she had to take it out on you. You came there for her to help and support you. I'm sorry for the rant, it is just unnerving to hear doctors be so insensitive, I've ran into my fair share when I was going through a miscarriage, you wouldn't believe the crap I've heard...Keep your head up, there are surgeons that will operate on you. My surgeon told me to lose 30lbs mainly for the purpose of my liver, but he also said it wasn't a big deal if I didn't lose the 30, if I had lost 10 lbs, then that would have shrunk it some. You don't want to deal with that attitude after surgery. I would have cried too, but let her know her customer service skills were lacking and she needed to find a new profession if she didn't like to deal with the public....Sorry, there I go again LOL keep searching hun, you'll find a great surgeon, that is supportive and professional. :)

Thank you so much for the support and advice!

As I've been thinking about it, I'm glad my mom came with me today just because if she wasn't there, I would have really given this doctor a piece of my mind. My mom's presence still has the power to censor me into submission! I felt like this doctor didn't want to know me, that she was treating me poorly because I was fat. She's sitting there trying to explain to me that I need to give up fast food or just order smaller sizes, after I explained to her that I've been existing on 2 Protein shakes, 2 yogurts, Soup and a cheese stick everyday since f'n AUGUST. She acted like the 12lbs I lost since exactly 31 days ago wasn't a success at all. I'm thinking, "You're a BARIATRIC SURGEON and you're looking at me as some fat @ss who can't keep a Big Mac out of her mouth." THAT is why I was crying. I have read over and over on these boards that people have to lose weight first, that a liquid diet was involved - I expected to hear those things. I'm not some ignorant person going blindly into something I know nothing about. I have worked in insurance, I've worked on the pre-approvals for these exact surgeries FOR YEARS, I know probably TOO MUCH about what's involved and the difference in surgeries and why I want this sleeve.

Does that mean I think I'm entitled? No. But I deserve to at least be treated as a human being when I'm in that very office because I WANT to change my circumstance.

So yeah, I'm asking for a 2nd opinion. And if I'm made to feel like I did today again, I'll be sending a strongly worded letter to the Chief of Staff of that hospital! I should think someone in the surgeons position should be a bit more sympathetic to the vulnerabilities of a morbidly obese patient!

I was 476lbs when I got out of the hospital on May 2nd this year (wasn't sleeved at that time). I lost 130lbs over the next 6.5 months and had my surgery (sleeve) on November 27th. Down 13lbs since my surgery 9 days ago. Total: 144lbs down and 332lbs this morning :) My goal weight is 160lbs. Surgery was amazing. No pain. No nausea. Nothing. Very happy with my decision. Best of luck to you. I understand the long weight loss road.

Wow those are some awesome numbers!!! How did u lose south before surgery? You sure where dedicated!

I had my surgeon visit today. She said I'm too heavy to operate on. I have to lose 50lbs before she'd consider it. And when she delivered this disappointing news and it made me cry' date=' she said, "Crying won't help you. You should see what I go through in a day, I should be the one crying." Yeah, ok, but I thought we were here to talk about ME.

So, no surgery date for me.... yet. Still figuring out what to do from here.[/quote']

How much do you weigh hon? Maybe another physician might be your best bet.

Makemyownluck I'm sorry to hear what you went through, I would have cried too. I don't know what you weigh but I'm sure there is a doctor who will do the surgery. I had to do 12 weeks of classes that I involved a regular calorie counting diet and I didn't lose a damn thing. Every week I was up or down a few pounds. My surgeon didn't care since I tried and he knew I couldn't lose the weight on my own which is why I'm as big as I am. Good luck with the 2nd opinion, ask for a male doctor so you don't have to deal with anymore b*tches!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I had 200 to lose when I started in June, 2012. I have 85 more to go. You can do it! Take it one chunk at a time - and set your final goal at a very realistic and doable weight. People who weigh as much as we do probably won't last long under 200. Not that it's not doable - but choosing a realistic goal is wise and much more hopeful. Obviously you and your doctor will decide on the final number. Can you imagine being 199? I can't - but I'm gonna get there! Yeah!!!!

Hi. I have 300# to lose. I don't have a date, yet. I started at 436 with a BMI at approximately 85. I met with the surgeon and he said he would operate once I got to 400#. The NUT told me that they won't do WLS on anyone with a BMI over 80. I began my weight loss program October 24th. So far I'm down to 420. I've been losing faster since I saw the NUT on December 4th and we went over a menu for me. Because of my immobility, I am on 1200 calories a day. I know of one lady who has lost 300# so far and she started out at 500#! It can be done with the sleeve, no matter what others may say! Don't give up hope! I just have to have a few more tests, be on a bipap machine for at least 30 days, and lose 20 more pounds! I'd like to lose a bit more than that because scales can differ. Good luck!

Thank you everyone for the replies. The stories and encouragement are helpful! I'm trying really hard not to do food funerals and basically just trying to cut out the stuff I know is bad for me (like soda) on my own terms before the Sleeve is reality. I'm avoiding a scale at the moment but will likely weigh in during January as I start the pre-op diet. I'll hope the scale has already started the backward slide! :)

Before my surgery I weighed 542 lbs so I had well over 300 lbs to lose. It took me forever to find a surgeon. I was so scared to have the surgery, because of my high BMI among other things. I almost talked myself out of it, but I walked away with only one regret. Why didn't I do it sooner? I'm newbie on here, but let me know if you have any questions or just need to talk.

Before my surgery I weighed 542 lbs so I had well over 300 lbs to lose. It took me forever to find a surgeon. I was so scared to have the surgery' date=' because of my high BMI among other things. I almost talked myself out of it, but I walked away with only one regret. Why didn't I do it sooner? I'm newbie on here, but let me know if you have any questions or just need to talk.[/quote']

Wow that is unbelievable!! Now you have to share more of your story. Please if you don't mind. How long ago? Pictures? What diet plan u followed? Exercise? Whatever else you would like to share.

I was 400 lbs pre surgery August 15, 2012 and as of today I have lost 105 lbs. feeling great. You can do it. I have trouble I never eat the right amount of Protein and forget about all the Water. So my advice is yet to get the protein where you can and don't forget water.

my weight was 550 at surgery and my b.m.i. was 74. now it's in the 60's and i've lost 90 lbs. i have still have a ways to go but i feel so amazing.. i suffered 3 strokes about 3 years ago, over come addicition and alcholism and a divorce on the way... i'm enjoying this fight... cuz the rewards are so great.... good luck

It's true, some docs won't operate past a certain BMI, did she have to be such a b*tch about it? I think a little empathy would have been nice. If you're not attached to her, I would consider someone else. That was a perfect example of her bedside manner.

Exactly what I was going to say! Get another doctor. She had no empathy for you, and probably not for any of her patients. Get another doctor, and quick!!

Makemyownluck I'm sorry to hear what you went through, I would have cried too. I don't know what you weigh but I'm sure there is a doctor who will do the surgery. I had to do 12 weeks of classes that I involved a regular calorie counting diet and I didn't lose a damn thing. Every week I was up or down a few pounds. My surgeon didn't care since I tried and he knew I couldn't lose the weight on my own which is why I'm as big as I am. Good luck with the 2nd opinion, ask for a male doctor so you don't have to deal with anymore b*tches!

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I agree with MDM, try a male doctor. I know a lot of ladies are shy and think that it is better to have a female doctor....but not necessarily. I had very irregular periods when I was younger. Went from one female GYN to another. One told me YOU ARE FAT, this is how it's going to be. I went to a male doc and told him that my last period was 14 days. He yelled, that's HALF of your life, we gotta do something, and he did. Give the guy docs a try. My prayers are with you.