Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would U Do It With Bmi Of 38?

My insurance covers with BMI of 35 and co-morbidities, of which I have four significant ones (PCOS, fatty liver, hypertension and Barrett's esophagus/GERD). Likely also sleep apnea.

I am 5'2" and weigh about 216. My heaviest since pregnancy. I am very apple shaped and have high risk of cardiovascular issues-already heading there...

My hubs is supportive but I can tell that he is resistant because he knows that we won't be going out for pizza/eating out for a while. i've reassured him that YES, i will be able to go out and eat, i will be able to eventually have a slice with a salad. he needs to lose too, but he's happy with losing about 25 lbs, which would get him to an almost ideal weight. For ME, I need to lose about 75-85 lbs to get to my ideal weight.

I meet with my surgeon in about 10 days. I'm really on the fence. I have two little ones so I know I really need to get healthy to be there for them. But...a friend of mine who had surgery recently said to me " i can't believe people who would do this who's starting weight is like 210 or something"...

i guess I would just love some advice from the been-there-done-that folks...is it really worth going in the direction of surgery? if you had stats similar to mine, what are your results, would you do it again?

I have honestly tried lots of different things, and while some have worked, my Portion Control is out of control and i can easily eat as much as my husband who was a college football player!!! HUGE portions.AND i can't exercise because i am so short of breath all the time and SO tired from being so out of shape...thoughts??? thanks in advance for your help and kind words...

Here's my question: Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 50 lbs heavier? 50 lbs lighter? Look back at your own pattern of gain, loss, or maintenance and you will be able to answer that. For me...If this option had been available when I weighed 250 instead of 350...I would have done it. I'm 5'6", so that may roughly be equivalent of what you're looking at. My two cents. That and 4 bucks will get you a cup of coffee ;)

I say do it! I am 5'1 and started about 15 heavier than u and people don't realize when they say oh people at 210 get this done that 210 on a 5'2 body is significant. I am feeling better only 5 weeks out and down about 30 lbs. I am finally getting to the point where food isn't controlling me all the time and exercise is enjoyable again. My fiance has started eating better too as a result so I am sure u and ur husband van support each other!

thanks so much...i really hope in 5 years to simply be alive. yes, i really truly believe in my heart that my health is declining fast enough that it COULD be an option. yes, i'm a bit dramatic, but still...i KNOW i have some mild cardiac issues already, so i could see that without weight loss, in 5 yrs or less a major MI could take me...so, yes, in that context, this is definitely the right thing...

Heck yes. I did it with a BMI of 35 and a lifetime history of diets, yo-yo weight losses and gains. Exercise before surgery was impossible for me to sick to because it was such a huge effort out of breath, discouraged, not significant enough change to encourage me to continue.

I wish I would have been able to do this for myself 10 or 20 years ago. Can't imagine what I would have done with all the time, energy, effort and lost money I have spent on the futile effort over the years.

My stats are a little different than yours 5'8" surgery weight of 236. Anyway that's my two cents...you're well on your way to getting a bucket of pennies

We have close to the exact same everything, except I don't have kids. I'm 9 weeks out and feel fantastic. I started feeling better within just a few days of surgery. My energy level bounced back, my joints stopped hurting, I started sleeping better within a few weeks. I can't offer any input about caring for kids, though.

If you can lose this without the surgery I wouldn't do it. It is a major lifestyle change. Some people are lucky and can tolerate pizza but some people even many months out can not. This really needs to be your very last resort. My life has really changed since the surgery, for me the pay off it well worth it! In two months I am down from a size 22 to a 16, I was a BMI of 40, Every diet I did I would gain it back and then some. If you have co-mobiditities I would really consider getting this done, just be ready!

Nurse mom- I am 5' 4" & my starting weight was 177, BMI 32. Comorbidities...high blood pressure, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, GERD, high sugar levels, etc. Anyway, I had surgery 09/04/12 & to date am off all meds. Apnea-gone, HBP- normal, blood sugar- normal, cholesterol- normal....my point, I feel the best I have felt in years. Do what your gut tells you & do what's best for you. Best of luck in your decision & I know whatever your decision, it will be what's right for you.

First off, you have to be comfortable with whatever you decide. That being said, your situation is a no-brainer to me. I am the same height as you. 216 lbs is a lot of weight for us short girls to carry. I am not trying to be mean, but you are severely obese. You need to lose weight to just be "obese" and a lot more weight to be "overweight". If you are already having health problems and your insurance covers it, I would have done the surgery yesterday.

My high weight was around 205 (maybe a few pounds more because I wouldn't weigh myself much at that time, because it was too depressing). Since September, I have been trying to lose on my own. This is not my first rodeo with dieting. The cycle I have been in for the last 20 years is to diet then re-gain but I don't just regain, I regain plus add a 5-15 lbs. I have lost 24 lbs on my own so far and I still plan to have this surgery in January. I will be paying out of pocket.

I don't have any co-morbidities yet, but my family history of obesity and obesity related illnesses does not look good for me. I want to change what would most likely be my fate if I don't have this done. I want to be happy and live the life I want. I am hopeful that this surgery will help me do that.

Again, the last thing I want to do is talk you into having this done. This has to be your decision and you have to feel comfortable with it. You have to live with it and be ready to make the changes associated with taking such a drastic measure. This surgery is drastic, there is no doubt about that. It is exactly what I need.

I am 5'2.....214 lbs and my BMI is 38....I have a few co -morbidity factors...hypertension, sleep apnea, high cholesterol and borderline diabetic. I have tried so many diets over the years, I work out 4 times a week and its been a constant struggle. TOday I went for my pre op...I'm being sleeved December 13th, and the nurse actually said to me you don't need this you are not big enough!! In a few years from now I see myself struggling even more and I feel that this is the time for me to do it..My insurance is covering it 100% which definately helped with my decision.

Yes, I'd do it.

Absolutely.

Yes, absolutely.

I will only say this.......I wish I did it with a BMI of 38 so I didn't GET to a BMI of 44, which is where I was at when I had my surgery.

And, I have a three year old little boy who was two when I had my surgery....totally understand your fear there.

AND, my life is completely normal - I can eat whatever I want, do whatever I want, just like before, but with less weight. My hubs and I often have pizza, I just don't eat half the pie now!! ;)

That was my starting BMI and I had no co-morbidities.

I would definitely do it.. In fact i did... Im a 5'3 and was 215 the day of my surgery 16 days ago... I did it because i am tired of yoyo dieting, im sick of nothing fitting me, of being always the fat girl amongst my friends, i refused to buy clothes this last year (i gained like almost 40 pounds) i was squeezing myself in cllthes that no longer fit me and at the end i didnt have one jean left i could squeeze myself into... I did it because i knew that maybe i didnt get to 250 this year but if i continued eating like i was i would definitely reach it next year and it would only get worse.. Im an emotional eater im really trying to solve that but i was constantly hungry before surgery and could eat in one day what 3 normal girls would eat.. I was out of control and i needed to do something and i am happy i did... Im already seeing the consequences of my over eating on my skin, i have cellulite, stretch marks (which I am currently removing with a somewhat painfull laser) and flab just about anywhere and everywhere so im happy i did it and stopped because i know for a fact that it was all gonna get worse in the future.... My advice.. DO IT.. Dont even think about it.. Its a bit of a sacrifice but the benefits out weight it .. You will feel better for you and for your kids..