Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tools For Eating For Those Measuring Portions

For those recently post op or watching their portions....I've been using 4 oz. ramekins to eat out of. This has been helpful, as we have to closely watch portion sizes now (sooo easy to go overboard if you don't know sizes...been there...oofa). You can get them anywhere, Walmart, Target, maybe even food stores...but here's what they look like.

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/small-ramekin/s682675

Also, have been using plastic spoons which are smaller than regular teaspoons.

Anything that helps, right?

Any other suggestions out there?

I still pre-op...but I to have small 4oz glass storage bowls with lids that I bought to prepare. Also using this small child size silverware for smaller bites. And we have small teacup serving size plates I plan to use as well.

My NUT said when eating with family, keep the food in the kitchen rather then at the table ( like we did ). This way it's not right in front of you and easy to grab. The family can get up to the kitchen if they want seconds. :D

I also weigh my food and use measuring spoons for liquids, powders.< /p>

When eating soft foods I used the 3 oz paper bathroom cups. Three oz/ was my limit at the time, and tossed after one use.

Great idea.. i will be picking a few up for myself then. I don't get my sleeve until 01/16/2013 but am trying to buy small things now so it won't be so overwhelming the week before.

I bought an adjustable measuring cup. The bottom pushes up so you can get exactly the measurement that you want. It also has different measurements like OZ, Cups and ML printed around it. Very useful.

Hmmm....at 3 months out I really don't weigh my food anymore. I eyeball my Protein and will sometimes weigh it if its a new food. But my body is so good at telling me 'enough!' And I listen to it! I threw up once due to overeating and that was enough for me.

I'm not sure about anyone else (and I know it's not really a "tool"!) but I put a HUGE reminder on my refrigerator (that's next to my garbage can) stating "This is not your parent's house. YOU pay the bills and control YOUR life! So YOU do NOT have to clean your plate!" Now, if I only eat 2oz off my 4oz applesauce cup or refried Beans, I don't feel as guilty throwing it away. I don't overeat, I don't make myself sick, and I'm losing weight!