Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Noticing Weight Loss

So I've lost 40 lbs and my friends and family have said that I look like I've lost weight; but I just don't see it. When I look in the mirror I see the same big guy I've been looking at for years. Has anyone else felt this way?

40 lbs. Is amazing. Keep up the good work. Your clothes should be bigger on you. When were you sleeved?

I was sleeved on November 13th, and lost 30 lbs preop and another 10 one week post op. And Yes, my clothes are much bigger. I pretty much lost the equivilent of my 5 year old daughter. crazy.

Hey Jay!

Come on -- you know that losing 40 pounds in such a short amount of time is SUPER AMAZING. People will notice the contours of your face becoming more slender, but as you have to look straight-on at your face, you'll basically still just see the round shape. HANG IN THERE and don't get discouraged! Many, many people out there would be so thankful to lose that much so very quickly!

It's always hard to see it in yourself. I lost lot of weight about 5 years ago(pre VSG which I all gained back btw) and I just couldn't see it for the life of me. My family started to think there was something wrong with me because I kept saying I didn't see a difference. It's rough for us, we see ourselves every day lol. It's also probably a bit of body dismorphia. If your like me even as an obese person you didn't quite see yourself as obese. I would always stand next to normal size people and not really see how much bigger I was- even though I was like 3 of them. That's reverse body dismorphia. And I think as we loss it kind of reverses and we still see ourselves as big. That's how it's been for me anyway. I'm SURE at 40lbs down there is a noticeable difference. Your doing awesome! Keep it up!

U should take a pic every 30 days in the same outfit. You'll see it then, even if you don't see it when you look in the mirror.

So I've lost 40 lbs and my friends and family have said that I look like I've lost weight; but I just don't see it. When I look in the mirror I see the same big guy I've been looking at for years. Has anyone else felt this way?

Jay, you are not alone! My doctors, my family, and people on Instagram see it but I can't see an inch much less 40+ pounds of a difference!

My honest belief is that it's going to take something more drastic than 40 pounds for us to see it. My therapist agrees with me. I also believe that I need to keep going to my therapy appointments, documenting my food intake AND not only my pounds lost but my other measurements to help myself see that my body is changing.

Other people have mentioned NSVs (non-scale victories)- do you have any in mind? You don't have to share them (unless you want to!) but they're also a great way to keep track of weightloss progress! I'm keeping track of mine in a journal because I love to write, but there are tons of ways to do it! Find what works for you.

If you need someone to vent to or whatever, don't hesitate to look me up. I'm always on here or MFP or Instagram.

I definitely feel that way! I had surgery 2.5 weeks ago and everyone keeps telling me I look like I'm losing weight, but I just don't see it.

I don't have a scale at home, so today was the first time I weighed after surgery (at the docs). I was down nearly 25lbs! I seriously expected that I only lost 8 pounds or something.

It's funny how our brains work, and how we don't really see what others see.

Very good advice here. Measurements, NSVs, and PICTURES. I never saw how overweight I was until I looked at pictures someone took of me. Then I was really surprised and sad. Now pictures tell a different story. PROGRESS!!!

I agree...I saw myself in a video a couple of weeks ago and I could not believe..I am actually that big! I was like "what is ths point of control wear and my stomach still hanging like that!"....not sleeved yet but truly excited about 2/2013

Yes I felt exactly like thst. It took 60 lbs for me to see the difference. Pics helped a lot. Taking before and after pics every 6 weeks is what made me see the difference.

congrats. good job. I can only tell my 50 pound loss by scales and clothes. everyone else can see it though.

It's the same for me. I've lost 30 kg (66lbs I think) pre and post op and I can't physically see it. I can only tell in my clothes. But everyone else is saying "**** you've lost some weight!"